Software
Houzz Logo Print
drcindy1

hardiness of abutilons (flowering maples)

19 years ago

I saw a beautiful abutilon last fall at a local nursery- can't recall the exact cultivar, but the staff said they were simply trying it out and told me it was an annual here. Are any of these cultivars hardy in our area? The coldest it has gotten here is in the mid-teens, and this is a plant that I would want to sink in the ground. I would prefer a red flowering variety. Thanks for any info!

Comments (6)

  • 19 years ago

    Abutilon megapotamicum has been hardy for me in a container for at least a couple of seasons - I'm interested to see how well it faired this winter :-) It is considered more of a trailing or semi-vining form rather than the shrubby type and the flowers are rather small - red calyx and yellow petals. And I know of several A. vitifoliums in the Snohomish area that have been around for years, but they have purply-blue flowers.

    A. pictum and some of the hybrids will overwinter in mild years but I'd not consider them hardy. Like hardy fuchsias, they are pretty darn late to leaf out, often showing no signs of new growth until nearly May.

  • 19 years ago

    In a word, no. Try fanning out against a hot, sheltered wall, if you have such a spot. If you are in a Banana Belt neighborhood within sight of salt water you will get greater longevity from it than if you are not. Places right on the beach can be quite mild, grow large specimens of borderline plants like these.

  • 19 years ago

    Hi drcindy.

    I have about 6 types of Abutilon, and they all came through the winter with just some minor leaf burn. I do realize winter is not over yet, but so far, so good. I am not home right now, but when I get over there, I will post a couple of pics, as well as the names of the varieties. Here is a link to some photos taken after the last freeze. I can't remember if there are any Abutilon or not. I do know there is a picture of Acacia dealbata seedlings, and Banksia marginata(from seed planted in yard in 1997) that have taken the weather with stride without any help from me. In fact I all the plants there are on thier own during the winters. Take care.

    -Brian

    Here is a link that might be useful: Some Yard Pics-Acacia, Eucalyptus, etc....

  • 19 years ago

    Since he has the Washington Champion Nymansay eucryphia, over 50 ft. tall right down the street Brian is apparently in a mild spot.

  • 19 years ago

    Here is a picture of Abutilon 'victor reiter'. This is not a picture of mine, but mine is just the same. In my mind, you cannot do better than this one. It is evergreen, and blooms most of the winter. I love the huge flowers and leaves. The flowers are almost like Hibiscus rosa-sinensis! I believe Cistus has this one, I bought mine from them. Right now mine has plump buds ready to bloom, or maybe they have already started blooming. I really could not believe the flower buds were not hurt by the freeze we had. Ron is right, I live right on the Sound, and I have a fairly mild spot, so keep that in mind if purchasing these semi-hardy beauties. Take care.

    -Brian



  • 19 years ago

    I remember seeing one at A Garden of Distinction in the Georgetown neighborhood that was taller than I am, so it must have been wintered over. But it was in a very sheltered location.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH