Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjc48

new-a feathered feast! fotess

sjc48
12 years ago

Good Morning, Everyone!

Welcome to the Friends of the Earth-Simple Swaps for December. This month, I thought we'd share a little holiday cheer with our feathered friends by sending them a mini feast!

BUT, before I give you the details, some other FOTESS news:

1. Would you all welcome a new member Xiangirl-Heidi!?

Heidi, come on in and give us your one liner!

2. Happy Birthday to FOTESS member Hisbiscusfan-Suzanne!

Okay, for this month's swap we will be sending:

!. A Christmas card; if you can find one with birds on it, that would be great, if not, that's great too.

2. A recipe for your favorite bird food mix, OR instructions for a simple birdfeeder or birdhouse. If you want to do both, that's fine, but one or the other is enough.

3. A sampling of your favorite birdfood OR suet. One or the other or both. Amounts? I think a Cup of birdfood or a suet log, ball or cake would be plenty.

4. Post here with any ideas for keeping squirrels out of your birdfeeders!

I'll be posting a BIRD BINGO on Sunday, Dec. 4th!

Sign-ups will be held until Dec. 10th.

I'll post partners on the 11th.

You will have until the end of December to mail your "Feast" out!

Depending on what you send, a small flatrate box or a medium sized bubble envelope would work for this swap.

A delivery confirmation number is needed.

Let's get this "Movable Feast" on the road!

Shirley!

Comments (106)

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi, hope everyone had a nice Sunday! Can you believe it's a week til Christmas!?
    Wendy, I hope to get your box out on Wednesday, will post here when I do.
    The Bingo word for today? CARDINAL!
    Happy Monday, All!
    Shirley!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

Alana ~ I'm glad you enjoyed the box!! :)

Shirley~ I need about 6 more months before Christmas.. that would suit me just fine lol

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

The DC for Heidi's box is 03100480000127859457.

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    12 years ago

Margo's tracking # is

Heidi

12 years ago

I give up. I've been sick for a week and I finally got in in the mail...along with another seed swap package. This is the correct # for Margo's tracking
    Heidi
    I hope this is right. Holy moly. this is when I'm ready for xmas to be over. Did someone say they wanted 6 more months? I vote with her.

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hello
    I got my box from melissa today
    she sent a fav suet block of her cardeinals
    2 instructions on birdie goodies, branch dough and birdy fruit cake, and some tea for me.
    thanks melissa, I will put the suit out tomarrow.
    michelle

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Everyone! NO, we can't have 6 more months til Christmas! C'mon ladies, I know you can be ready on time! I got some more baking done today, and I think that's it for me. Did Ginger cookies and Peanut butters.
    I'm going to check everyone's Bingo list later on, just to see who is getting close. And decided to help everyone along a little with 2 words tonight:
    DOVE and GOLDFINCH!
    Well, I need to re-hang some ornaments - Vinnie and Willie wait til I go to bed, and snag the ones on the bottom of the tree!
    Talk to ya all tomorrow!
    Shirley!

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

I have 7 in the bingo.
    What is branch dough? Is it just as it sounds?
    Shirley, your box won't go out until after Christmas. So I am waiting for the end of the month.
    gmom

• robin1962_2008
    12 years ago

I have 7 words so far in BINGO ! I will probably also wait until after christmas to mail the feathered feast.

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

Branch dough is really simple & my kids love making it!
    You just mix 1 part peanut butter, 1 part veggie shortening & 2 1/2 parts flour. You can mix in nuts, berries, seeds...whichever you have on hand.
    Then you just spread the dough out on a tree branch (where the limb meets the tree is a good spot), and then sit & watch the birds! :)

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

I have 7 Bingo words crossed off on my list, too.
    Go birds, go!!!

Jeanne

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

That is an AWESOME idea Melissa!!!! We are going to have to do this! Thank you :)

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi - sorry I'm so late with this - forgot I had to sub for a friend's bunco group tonight. Great Party!
    In any event, the Bingo word for today is: CHIMNEY SWIFT!

I'll be back tomorrow with updates and such!
    Shirley!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi, hope everyone had a good day!
    Well. did some checking and it looks like all 9 players have 7 words each!
    This could get tricky!!
    Today's Bingo word is: CEDAR WAXWING!

Here's an update on the Feathered Feasts:
    Alana to Heidi - sent
    Heidi to Margo - sent
    Margo to Melissa - sent - rec'd
    Melissa to Michelle - sent - rec'd
    Michelle to Robin
    Sharon to Shirley
    Shirley to Wendy
    Wendy to Alana - sent - rec'd
    Have a great day tomorrow!
    Shirley!

• smitties
    12 years ago

Shirley, if you have a moment, could you give us a full list of all the Bingo words you have posted so far?

Thanks, Margo

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hello
    thought I posted that I sent on monday.
    should be there soon.
    michelle

12 years ago

Pine Cones
    I did something similar to Branch Dough with the Middle School kids. Since we had to be indoors I took pinecones. The kids spread them with peanut butter and rolled them in cereal (an alternative to birdseed). The kids tied them into trees around town. They were covered in peanut butter, had lots of fun and keep checking pine cones around town to see who/what is eating it! It's really been a positive experience. In January I'm doing it at an elementary in another town. As the birds eat the food off the pine cone naturally decays and becomes soil. You don't have to worry about taking down a feeder or adding "litter" to the neighborhood, even unintentionally.
    There is an example at this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: peanut butter pinecone bird feeders

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey, back again!
    Michelle-thanks for letting me know!
    Here are the Bingo words pulled so far:
    Cardinal
    Junco
    Warbler
    Woodpecker
    Robin
    Dove
    Meadow Lark
    Cedar Waxwing
    Chickadee
    Indigo Bunting
    Goldfinch
    Hummingbird
    Chimney Swift
    Scarlett Tanager
    Later!
    Shirley!

12 years ago

Thank You Alana!
    I got the sweetest box in the mail today. It had 3 lovely pine cones covered in peanut butter and birdseed all nicely wrapped in waxed paper. I also received a suet packet and a bag of seed. The card was dainty and perfect and Alana personally made it perfect. Thank you.

I am going to hang the pine cones in my 30 ft cedar tree. I�m going to put the suet near the place where a mom comes each spring to hatch her babies and the squirrels can't reach.

Your pine cones look so professional and perfect. Mine look like aliens hurled them to earth from flying spacecraft as weapons (but that's what Middle School kids do)! It's not about the end product with middle school kids...it's about the experience and planting seeds that make them want to do MORE, try something NEW and keep on the good path of life.

Heidi

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi All!
    Well, part of the gang got here today, the part with 2 little granddaughters! It was a good day!
    Tabitha, my oldest granddaughter (3 1/2), choose the Bingo word for tonite: SPARROW!
    Gotta go straighten up the house!
    Talk to ya tomorrow!
    Shirley!

• smitties
    12 years ago

Heidi, I hadn't received the package so just checked on it. I don't know if you sent to the wrong person or what but it was delivered today in Missouri and I live in Ohio.

Uh oh???????

• smitties
    12 years ago

Heidi, oops, just noticed you had posted the wrong number in the first DC post. Checked on the second one and it appears it is still on the way here.

Will let you know when it arrives. Can't believe it is taking this long. They haven't posted anything since the 19th.

Margo

12 years ago

Go Tabitha! I had that word! I'm getting closer on Bingo and I'm excited. Pick another lucky word, girl!
    Heidi

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Shoot! I forgot to wish everyone a Blessed Solstice. I hope your day was a good one!
    Did anyone get any Wintersowing done? I did 4 containers:
    Solidago Fireworks for Remembrance;
    Rose of Sharon for Trees of Life
    Verbena Bonariesis (sp)for the butterflies, and
    Petunia Dolcissima for Leap of Faith.
    Petunias are ALWAYS a leap of faith for me, I don't have much luck with them, germination wise, no matter how I do them.
    Heidi, Tabs will be choosing again tonite, we're wishing you luck!
    Shirley!

• smitties
    12 years ago

My box arrived today. In it was a recycled pop bottle bird feeder and what a great idea. She also sent a bag of bird food to fill it. That will be up and out tomorrow as a Christmas gift to the birds outside. Heidi also included food covered pinecones that will also be gifted to the birds tomorrow. Last but not least was some packages of sunflower seeds to grow food next year for the birds. Thank you Heidi for the fun box. I enjoyed it and I know the birds will too.

Margo

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

Shirley,
    It is so hot here that I don't even know if I will do any winter sowing this year. (I hope I can.) Yesterday broke records for high temperature. I think it went up to 76 degrees.

Merry Christmas to everyone.
    Jeanne

• smitties
    12 years ago

Sorry Heidi, forgot to mention the Christmas kitchen towel. I needed a new one too as all of mine have seen better days. Thanks again for the great bird feast.

Margo

12 years ago

76! Holy moly that's warm. I'm trying winter sowing for the first time. Thought about it for 3 years, but chickened out. Like usual...I'm a little crazy. I filled 8 containers. I need to do 3 more now that I received some more seeds and then it's wait and see. It'll be exciting. I'm glad the box made it Margo. After all of those videos of FedEx and UPS guys throwing boxes (as seen on the internet) and other cards not arriving I was beginning to wonder myself. Is it Merry Soltice, Happy Soltice or Spirited Soltice? !

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey All! We just back from the Light Show up in Westland, MI. It was really pretty, lots of different scenes, but the 1 1/2 hour drive to the entrance at 20 mph kind of took some of the fun out of it. Especially with 2 little ones.
    Jeanne, it was relatively warm here until yesterday, but nothing like 76! Margo, what is it like in BC?
    The boxes all sound really great!
    Wendy, will wait, now, until Monday to mail out your feast; wanted to finish one thing and haven't had time, but definitely Monday!
    In addition to helping with the Bingo words, Tabitha helped me put up the last of the bird feeders today, and we re-filled all the others. Tomorrow we're baking gingerbread animals while Mum, Dad and Myrna finish the Christmas shopping!
    We aren't having much luck talking Vinnie and Willie out of the closet!
    Yeah, I'm really enjoying this visit!
    Tabs word choice for tonight is: WREN!
    Hey, talk to ya all tomorrow!
    Shirley!

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

Yay, only 1 word away from bingo! :)
    Hubby took 2 of our girls out bird watching in the national forest, so that frees me up just a TINY bit. LoL! Hopefully, they'll have fun & see lots of birds & squirrels. They're hoping to see some deer as well, but since it's hunting season....I'm sure all the deer are bedded down for the day.
    I hope you all have a GREAT Christmas!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!color>size>

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Love the Christmas Bunny, Melissa!
    My youngest granddaughter, Myrna, (1 yr.) chose the word tonite, or should I say a whole fist full of words! I picked this one from the bunch: VIREO!
    Strange word for Christmas Eve!
    We'll take a break for Christmas celebrations tomorrow, and will be back with the next word on Monday.
    From all of us to all of you:
    A Very Merry Christmas and a Blessed 2012!
    Shirley!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey, Happy Day After Christmas! I hope the day was great for everyone!
    All my company left today; now I need to put everything back where it belongs!
    I miss the girls already.
    Tabs picked the Bingo word before she left: GROSBEAK!
    Talk to ya all tomorrow!
    Shirley!

• smitties
    12 years ago

We had a very low keyed day but a nice one. The oldest son and his wife just left so things are quiet again. They have three dogs and also bring their little Conure, (small parrot like bird).

Now we plan for our New Year and after that, it is time to start sorting seeds and planning gardens. Woo hoo.

There is talk of a couple inches of snow but hard to believe with the mild weather we have been having. I just noticed today that my crocus are coming up and my chrysanthemum is sprouting new growth!!! What's up with that?

Oh, and I am two words away from Bingo.

Margo

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone! Just checking in with tonight's Bingo word, which is: NUTHATCH!
    Is anyone close?
    We are coming close to the end of the month and I, for one, really need to get my feast out! Sorry, Wendy, am really trying for tomorrow!
    Talk to ya tomorrow!
    Shirley!

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

BINGO!color>size>

Here are my words:

1 sparrow
    2 warbler
    3 meadow lark
    4 wren
    5 chickadee
    6 indigo bunting
    7 chimney swift
    8 scarlett tanager
    9 dove
    10 nuthatch

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Way to go, Melissa! Congrats! Your Bird Bingo Surprise will go out in the mail this afternoon, along with the Feast for Wendy's Birds!
    I'll be back later tonight with an update on where the Swap is at. We're getting close to the end!
    Have a great day!
    Shirley!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Me, again!
    Wendy, your Feast went out today - DC#03111660000187600068.
    Melissa, your Bingo prize is also on the way!
    Here's an update on the Swap:
    Alana to Heidi - sent, rec'd
    Heidi to Margo - sent, rec'd
    Margo to Melissa - sent, rec'd
    Melissa to Michelle - sent, rec'd
    Michelle to Robin - sent
    Robin to Sharon
    Sharon to Shirley
    Shirley to Wendy - sent
    Wendy to Alana - sent, rec'd
    Remember, the Feasts are all supposed to be out and away by the end of the month!
    Later!
    Shirley!

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

Congratulations on your Bingo win, Bunny!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good Morning! Just checking in, hope everyone is getting their Feasts out! Post here when you mail!
    Have a great day!
    Shirley!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

I received my wonderful package from Shirley on Friday. All I can say is my birds are happy, happy, happy! :)) She sent me some really wonderful recipes for making my own suet and birdseed combos, some really precious bird themed notecards, orange suet with the suet feeder, 2 different baggies of bird seed (all has already been put out for the birds).

The suet is just in time as we are going from mid 60's yesterday and today to mid 30's Tues - Thurs!! Talk about a temperature drop! brrrr!

Thanks so much Shirley, that was so sweet of you!

Happy New Year's everyone!!
    ~Wendy

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Happy New Year, Everyone! May 2012 be a blessed year for all of you!

Wendy, glad you and the birds liked the Feast!

Well, the deadline for mailing out the Feasts was Saturday, and we still need to hear from several folks before we can finish this swap. Here is an update-hope to hear from everyone soon!
    Alana to Heidi - sent, rec'd
    Heidi to Maergo - sent, rec'd
    Margo to Melissa - sent, rec'd
    Melissa to Michelle - sent, rec'd
    Michelle to Robin - sent
    Robin to Sharon
    Sharon to Shirley
    Shirley to Wendy - sent, rec'd
    Wendy to Alana - sent, rec'd

I'm going to email revised address lists to everyone, hopefully today. At least that's my game plan! It might take me a day or two!

I see Jeanne has the January FOTESS swap posted. I love the idea of upcycling! Sounds like a lot of fun!

Talk to ya all later!
    Shirley!

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

HI SHIRLEY,
    YOUR PACKAGE IS IN THE MAIL ON MONDAY MORNING. I'M 16

+MILES FROM TOWN SO EVERYTHING HAS TO BE DONE WHEN WE ARE THERE. WE DON'T DRIVE TO TOWN FOR ONE THING, IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. USUALLY I'M BETTER ORGANIZED THAN THESE LAST FEW WEEKS.
    I'M SORRY!!
    MONDAY I GET BACK IN THE SWING OF THINGS.

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good Morning!
    Wendy, not to worry! My own organizational skills were severely challenged over the holidays!
    Looking forward to the Feast, will post here when I get it.
    As soon as we hear from Robin, we can close this swap!
    Have a great day, everyone!
    Shirley!

• robin1962_2008
    12 years ago

HI,SORRY I`M SO LATE IN POSTING!MY PACKAGE FROM MICHELLE CAME ON CHRISTMAS EVE!!SHE SENT A LOVELY COTTAGE MAGAZINE,A HOME MADE BIRD FEEDER MADE FROM A ROUND PLASTIC JUG,PAINTED RED,DRILLED HOLES ON EACH SIDE FOR ACCESS TO THE BIRD FEED AND ATTACHED A CABINET KNOB BENEATH THE HOLE FOR A FOOT REST!!I LOVE IT!!!iT ALSO WAS HALF FULL OF BIRD FOOD.SHE SENT A DECK OF PLAYING CARDS WITH BIRDS ON THEM,AVON ANTIBACTERIAL GEL,A CROCHET BATH MIT AND A BEAUTIFUL HANDMADE CARD!!MICHELLE,THANK YOU SO MUCH!!I HOPE I DIDN`T LEAVE OUT ANYTHING.IT ARRIVED AS MY EXTENDED FAMILY GATHERED IN FOR OUR CHRISTMAS EVE SUPPER AND GIFT SWAP SO EVERYONE WANTED TO KNOW WHO SENT MY PRESENT,IT WAS REALLY A HIT!
    SHARON,YOUR BOX WILL BE MAILED TOMORROW.I TRIED TO MAIL IT TODAY BUT AFTER LEAVING IT IN THE BOX ALL DAY I FINALLY REALIZED THE MAIL WASN`T RUNNING TODAY!
    SHIRLEY,THANK YOU FOR HOSTING THIS SWAP!!!!!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I too waited on the mail all day long yesterday!
    Finally got the tree taken down, not that it's packed away in the attics yet!
    Robin, good to hear from you, the box sounds wonderful!
    Well, it looks like this swap will be over in a few days-this is a good thing!
    Talk to ya later!
    Shirley!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good Morning! Just checking in. Had some excitement at the birdfeeders today, already! I had a red bellied woodpecker out there! How great is that!? I'd seen two of them way back in the spring, in my neighbors tree, got some great shots. Hopefully I can get a good shot of this beautiful bird up close. He/She was fighting for room on the suet log, the little sparrow types had him outnumbered, but he hung in there!
    Great way to start the day!
    Talk to ya all later!
    Shirley!

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

Shirley you box is on it's way and you should have it tomorrow.
    Thanks for hosting.
    gmom

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sharon, I'll be watching for it and thanks in advance, doing that because my computer has to go back in the shop; I will be down for about a week. This is getting silly.
    I'll try to check in every couple of days.
    All we have left for this swap is my package from Sharon, and Robin's package to Sharon. Sharon,post here when you receive your feast.
    A big thank you to all who made this swap so great!
    Jeanne, am emailing you.
    Shirley!

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

Robin,
    Thanks for the package. It arrived yesterday. 2 Birdsandblooms mag,, soap pettles, emery boards, suite block, and a beautiful card with red berries. Thank You so much.
    gmom

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone! Well, I received my package from Sharon, and it was GREAT! She sent homemade suet (from bacon grease!), a baggie full of birdseed (suet and birdfeed were put out for the birds!), a baggie full of Island Mango/Peach teabags-gone, a bundle of notecards and postcards-I can always use these, a bag of Werthers caramels, mostly gone, and seeds! Sharon sent me columbine pink doubles, agastache lavender and purple rose of sharon which has already been WSed!
    Sharon, the Feast was just excellent, thank you!
    I still don't have a computer. Will try to check back in again in a few days. However, I think we can finally close this swap! Again, Ladies, a big thank you to all who participated, the birds thank you too!
    Talk to ya all when I get the computer back!
    Shirley!