Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
makeithome

Kitchen renovation

makeithome
11 years ago
Having difficulting deciding if I want to keep exsisting cabinets or to paint them. If cabinets are painted, I feel my options are limited due to the dark appliances. Cabinets are in very good condition, but need handles/pulls/knobs. I have newer black appliances that I really like and that will remain. Island is being built with a larger footprint to allow for seating across from kitchen sink. Island will also be black. Dinette table has been replaced with round table that has black base and chairs. Barstools will also be replaced. Island and countertop will be Siena Beige granite and all flooring to be replaced with Legacy Sand floor tile. After deciding on cabinets, will then address backsplash and paint choices (beige thoughout the remaining 1st floor). Any thoughts, ideas and recommendations would be appreciated. BTW...love Houzz!

Comments (13)

• olldcan
    11 years ago
    Sounds like your on the right track. You'll lease new life into the cabinets with new pulls or knobs and you could always re-stain the cabinet to the left of the fringe or just the uppers to break it up. You might want to consider a waterfall edge on your new island and make sure you have 2 electrical plug in on it. Nows the time to explore all your options so you have no regrets. A nice touch would be to switch the island granite to something solid/ no pattern. All sounds really good and your lucky your cabinets are structurally sound. Now the bad news....... I'm not loving your floor tile. I'm not even sure if it's the pattern or the colour or worse both :( My fear would be that it's too much pattern in the kitchen and that the tone of beige would just bring out even more of the orange in your oak cabinets, which are patterned too. If you go with a tile, I'd choose the largest tile with no pattern or have you considered a hardwood in the kitchen, it's much softer on the feet and little more forgiving if you drop dishes like I do :)
  • makeithome
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks candace66 for your speedy reply. The tiles have been a concern of mine for weeks. I have not yet made the purchase, maybe because of the concern. When choosing my granite, the tile (20x20) looked great with my particular slabs. I have gone back and forth regarding wood and feel that tile will be our best option. I was told that I want a darker floor and then lighten up as I move toward the ceiling??? I think I should seriously look at a lighter tile. Can you tell me what a waterfall edge is for the granite counter? The island will be one height and 12-14" or so deeper.
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    I don't know about the start dark and work your way up with lighter. I spent every day last week in show homes and that doesn't seem to be the case at all. Seems your gut instinct is to hold off on the tile and I would take note of that, for some reason your not LOVING it, and you need to. You know there is some great tile that looks like wood and in various colours, just a thought. I also think a really dark floor might give your kitchen cooking area a cave like feel, be careful of that if your cabinetry is staying the colour it is now. I attached a couple of pictures of waterfall counters done in granite. If you click on photos and type "waterfall counters" in, you'll see tons. Basically the counter wraps to the side of the gable end but it cleans up the look.
    [houzz=
    Superior St. Residence · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Kitchen · More Info
    ]
  • Amy Burke
    11 years ago
    Hello Makeithome! I think the best way to help pull all this together would be to stain or paint the oak cabinet in more of a reddish tone and add a black glaze. This will be a very rich updated look. Don't worry about your furnishings not matching, the golden oak will look just fine against the rest. Best of luck!
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    I think with the addition of a black island your getting the reddish tone suggested would be awful.
  • makeithome
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @Candace66 I like the idea of wood-look tile. Surfed online and saw both 4 and 6"x36", do you think that a mocha or gunstock is getting too dark? The waterfall counters are beautiful, but maybe a little too modern for me. @Amy the reddish tone cabinets are pretty, I worry that with the black appliances and island, I will have a super dark kitchen. The oak barstools will go into a large upstairs bonus room, I will get a simple counter high pub table to match. Hubby has always wanted his own room for watching football and these will work great with his black and gold decor (Steelers). The maple table and chairs have gone into storage.
  • Amy Burke
    11 years ago
    I can understand how you may feel that way but the granite you have chosen works great with this combo. The cabinets are dated and unless you want to paint them white to brighten it up which I don't suggest with the black appliances you do as you mentioned have limits. I speak from experience but in the end it is your decision and all that really matters :)
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    They may be too dark but there's no way to know by looking on line. One monitor to the next the colour can appear quite different. I would go to a tile supplier and buy a few pieces or better yet a case of several different shades. Even one that's really light, close to the granite colour. Bring them home and place them all out on the floor next to your cabinets. This way you get a really good idea of what they'll look like once installed. In the store with different light won't help you a bit, they have to come home. If you have a granite sample take that with you and a cupboard door too. This will help you from needing to rent a u-haul :)
    As for the waterfall, it's just an idea albeit a modern one but a way to tidy up that side, after all your island is black that's kinda modern don't you think?
    I would not do anything to enhance or darken you cupboards at this point I think they'll be dark enough once the island is installed. If they need something I'd carry the black over or a cream from your granite (which is beautiful by the way) but definitely not introduce a reddi brown. A high pub table will be excellent
  • Amy Burke
    11 years ago
    Your welcome, anytime! I think the key would be to have a subtle glazing and the white you would like will work wonderfully. I always revert to the "Oriental Rug" approach when designing. If you start with an Oriental rug you can pull from it's palette and disperse the colors throughout a space and be just fine since clearly the maker of the rug saw the cohesiveness within the colors chosen. Sometimes we have the dissection of a palette and we need to figure out how to layer the colors to form this cohesion. You can always use sheets in several colors you would like to use to lay upon the cabinetry and see if it feels balanced before you commit. We are here to help in any way we can :)
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    I'd look into wood flooring as has been suggested. Take a cabinet door with you and find a wood flooring that blends. Think of having granite as the back splash, too, or a subway tile that reads the same color as the granite (light beige-ish). The fixtures are OK, but shades cast yellow gloom (new shades). I'd paint walls a warmer off white pulled from the granite, white trim.
    granite · More Info
  • PRO
    Trappenkopen Level Tegels Level Bouwproducten
    11 years ago
    Hello makeithome You should be carefull when using Siena Beige in the kitchen. It is not a granite but a very soft (natural) sand stone
  • Amy Burke
    11 years ago
    After trying several times to attach the photo let me try this again. Have a look at this when you can :)

Teri Turan · More Info