Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denniswhiteheaddarling

Painted kitchen cabinets? How can I easily modernize this kitchen?

I hate my kitchen cabinets and I want to give them a modern look. Can painting them help?

Comments (30)

• apple_pie_order
    11 years ago
    Is this photo of your kitchen? It is beautiful. The glazed finish has been popular for the last five years or so; this particular finish is expensive. It is not out of fashion.

Perhaps you could be more specific about what you dislike: color, style, hardware, configuration, drawer function. Hardware is easy to change, especially when you have only pulls and knobs to replace (concealed hinges don't usually offend anyone).

If you attach some images of kitchens you like, it would be easier for other posters to make suggestions.
  • Dennis Whitehead Darling
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Perhaps hate is too strong of a word. I really want to change the color of them to match the modern style I have going on with the rest of the loft. All of the modern kitchens I've seen on Houzz are black or white. Should I paint or stain or is that cheesy?
  • mvoetberg
    11 years ago
    I'd change the hardware and add a backslash that goes all the way up the wall. You could pick up the colors that are in your lighting fixtures. I just finished painting my kitchen cabinets with Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint--I love it, but that direction is much more casual than contemporary. Rustoleum sells a Cabinet Transformations product that has great color stains if you really hate it!
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Would I need to add the backsplash over the cabinets as well?
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    Since you like the black you have seen in many houzz kitchens, you could select a splash tile with black in it. Elongated glass mosaics have a strong contemporary vibe.
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Also any ideas on barstool for the space? That's what's really holding me back.
  • PRO
    TJP Designs and Construction LLC
    11 years ago
    Resurfacing a kitchen is easier said than done - usually this is a last resort for a quick fix (as opposed to replacing a worn out kitchen!)! You would be farther ahead by taking the advice in replacing hardware and concentrating on a tile backsplash! If you want to pursue refinishing, purchase a sample door front from a supplier for trial and error first!
  • User
    11 years ago
    You could most certainly stain them dark espresso and add stainless pulls, they look great now, they will look great then. The bar stools you have will be fine with espresso, and you can reupholster them in a dark espresso chenille if you are going to keep the current cabinet color.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Here are some goodlooking modern barstools. Almost all barstools now come in counter height which is what you will need. They will look better if they do not have arms or high backs. Some are far more comfortable than others so be sure to sit in one before buying.

Contemporary Bar Stools And Counter Stools · More Info
    Hydraulic Lift Bar & Counter Stools - Discontinued · More Info
  • PRO
    Susan Jablon Mosaics
    11 years ago
    Hi! I agree with mvoetberg that simple changes like the hardware with the addition of a backsplash would do wonders for this kitchen. A stainless steel backsplash would add a very modern touch, and comes in a lot of different shapes and designs. If you like the look of black tile, you could use a mosaic that combines the two like the one pictured below. With that in mind, black or steel barstools would be a good option to tie it all together.
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    11 years ago
    There are experienced refinishers (not refacing) that can come in and do a really nice job of taking the cabinets to a dark finish or to a light - such as taupe. I have seen some homeowners post pictures of their work using the Rustoleum product. The results would not meet the quality standards of any of our clients, so I would be careful trying this as DIY if you plan to live with it for awhile.
  • PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    11 years ago
    Kitchens · More Info

Removing the insets on some or all of the upper cabinets and replacing with a frosted glass or other pattern would be nice. Paint the cabinets and add new hardware--least expensive fix.
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Hi I would keep what you have-(save yourself time and money), change hardware, and tile the entire wall with an interesing tile---it will definitely give you the modern look you're after. Change stools to dark leather/wood and chrome and add a metallic cowhide rug---Pic with stool and rug combo... Modern pendants... Hope this is helpful... Good Luck!
    [houzz=
    Eden Mosaic Tile 3D Silver And Pewter Aluminum Square Mosaic Tile · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Carved Stone · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Zuo - Equino Bar Stool in Black · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Cowhide Rugs · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Sonneman Zylinder 6-Light Modern Pendant Chandelier · More Info
    ]
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Love the black and steel backsplash idea!! And also knocking out the cabinet inserts and putting frosted glass sounds like the best way to change cabinets without buying new ones. Thank you everyone!
  • Lissa
    9 years ago
    I will trade you my cabinets for your's!! lol I can't stand my cabinets.. very old.. from 80's and very beat. I am going to take more pics because my next dilemma is painting the cabinets. i don't have $$ for new ones..so in the mean time.. some white paint to brighten up (I think)
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    the door style is the element that makes this seem more old fashioned. Painting can help that. Sage is big, blue gray works, change the knobs and pulls to something in a brushed stainless. Adding metallic or glass tile Back Splash if you choose. You can start with the hardware and then paint, then splash. Each step by itself may be enough to get you where you want to be.
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    Someone mentioned removing the panels in the middle and inserting glass. This can be harder than it sounds since many manufactures use a metal wedge to hold mitered doors together. Glass would help, certainly but it may be easier to purchase new doors already cut for glass. That is especially true if you are going to paint these anyway.
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 years ago
    Simply changing the cabinet doors to a flat door and adding modern, sleek cabinet pulls will dramatically change the look and make it more modern.
  • PRO
    Cabinets To Go
    9 years ago
    Hey there, if you're looking to update your kitchen cabinets, our quality cabinets are built for design and functionality, take a look at our website: http://bit.ly/1gv9Zbx. We offer a wide variety of cabinet styles at affordable prices. For your kitchen, our Findley & Myers Soho Maple, or B. Jorgsen & Co. Westminister Glazed Toffee would be perfect and accent the room very well. Feel free to call or email us with questions: http://bit.ly/1sKbFR0
  • PRO
    Susan Jablon Mosaics
    9 years ago
    If I can be of any help to you please let me know how! Susan
  • tleighf
    7 years ago
    did you change your kitchen? mine is very similar, and looking for ideas to update
  • PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Your kitchen looks nice, but if you want to make it looking more current, you should get different hardware, update your backsplash, or upgrade it with interesting and modern looking lighting fixtures. Modern kitchen cabinets are all cabinets that look good, regardless their color or finish. The trick is in the details that you can change every once in a while and by doing that change or update the look of the whole kitchen, without spending too much money on it.

• tleighf
    6 years ago
    I honestly thought this was my kitchen!! I agree with you I need a change to make the kitchen more likable, unique, updated.. I can't find the exact word to express the boredom this kitchen brings.
  • felizlady
    6 years ago
    Remove the short backsplash, install a new backsplash from counter to cabinets and above stove to the vent. Change the hardware to stainless finish. And add some color in art, rugs and/or accessories to give the kitchen some pizazz. The cabinet glaze was an expensive choice and they are still beautiful.
  • lhutch13
    6 years ago
    This thread is 5 years old
  • Linda Mastroianni
    6 years ago
    Could you break up the upper cabinets with glass doors or open shelves? That would make it more contemporary. The cabinets themselves look quite attractive but the kitchen needs some focal point like perhaps a flashier backsplash to complement the neutral cabinets.
  • PRO
    DcoraPillows
    6 years ago

Following.

• PRO
    Susan Jablon Mosaics
    6 years ago

Following.

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

This is an old thread.....are we just bumping to get googley traffic, here?

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus