Software
Houzz Logo Print
waltbsc

I gave in...Lets choose a mantel

15 years ago

The wife asked about it again so I will order one next week.

We have three choices in three colors, fun times again! ha ha

They are all the same dimensions - 72L x 6.5H x 8D

Color choices are chocolate stained birch, black and old reliable white.

Everyone has been so helpful so I figured I would ask for your opinion!

Here is the fireplace:

Choice one in black:

Number two in chocolate:

Number three in chocolate:

Sorry, they didn't have any stock photo's in white

Comments (18)

  • 15 years ago

    I think #1 has my vote. How dark is the chocolate for #1?
    Is it milk chocolate, or dark chocolate? :-)

  • 15 years ago

    The chocolate photo's are different and I would need to clarify with the manufacturer. Here are the colors:

  • 15 years ago

    I like number one, in black.

  • 15 years ago

    I like #1 in chocolate assuming it's close to the color of the floor.

  • 15 years ago

    Thanks Walt. After seeing the colors, I think the dark chocolate on #1. The black might be ok too, with the black doors, but there really isn't any other black in your room but there are browns. I agree with msrose that the dark chocolate with your new floors would be a great combination.

  • 15 years ago

    dark chocolate

  • 15 years ago

    I have been following your make-over of this room and I want to say that I think it is very well done.
    For this new project, I like # 1 the best and would go with a chocolate brown if it matched your floor or end tables .

  • 15 years ago

    I like the heft of number 1 and would probably try to get as close to the color of the floor as possible. Would that be the dark chocolate?

    I have been admiring your rooms and wonderful taste. As well as the dynamite speed at which you work!

    JR

  • 15 years ago

    Sine your crown molding is white, I would go with the white mantel.

    That might make the room flow better.

    Just a thought.

  • 15 years ago

    I feel like I'm on an episode of Run My Renovation......

    I like #3
    Chunkier
    and white

    I'm such an odd ball here.

    I just think it ties in better with the molding and beadboard.
    It just looks like stripes with something dark there.
    But what do I know.

    Calling all PHOTOSHOPPERS !

  • 15 years ago

    I feel like I'm on an episode of Run My Renovation......

    I like #3
    Chunkier
    and white

    I'm such an odd ball here.

    I just think it ties in better with the molding and beadboard.
    It just looks like stripes with something dark there.
    But what do I know.

    Calling all PHOTOSHOPPERS !

  • 15 years ago

    Well, the majority agreed with our first choice..number one, in chocolate as long as it's close to our flooring color. If not, we'll go black.

    We also thought about the more traditional mantel (number 3) in white because it would match the crown. We're guilty of being matchy-matchy at times, it's just our taste so we're trying to mix it up a little by choosing a non-traditional mantel. I know these are also safe but we want the room to look good...

    I know at the end of the day it's all a matter of personal taste but I love the feedback here. It makes me feel safe about the choices we're making since I want to do it right the first time!

    I can't believe I haven't heard of Run My Renovation...sounds like my kind of show!

  • 15 years ago

    I agree with your 1st choice and color.

    And, given the speed with which you usually work, we can expect to see pictures of installed mantel by...tomorrow? Ha ha ha. I can only wish my DH worked as quick as you in home renovation!

    Love the room!

  • 15 years ago

    It's not a bad thing to have the crown moldings, baseboards and mantels match.

    You can be adventurous with what you put on the mantel.

    It is personal preference, of course, but it's nice when the eyes are not forced to jump around a room.

  • 15 years ago

    I hate to disappoint but can you believe I'm going to be patient and wait on a stupid sample???

    We would like to see the chocolate in person just to make sure. Oh yeah and it's going to take 2-3 weeks for it to be delivered...man that's a long time!! Heck, we bought a piece of art off Etsy from an artist in Germany and it's only going to take three days...go figure.

  • 15 years ago

    2-3 weeks for a sample? Do you have another room you can remodel while we all wait for the slow poke sample? lol

    I like your choice as well.

  • 15 years ago

    Did you consider brushed or hammered stainless? Either a floating shelf look, as you have shown or something with interesting brackets?

    The other choice that could be interesting is glass, something like this:

    glace wall shelf

  • 15 years ago

    Les917 - We never thought about that but what a good idea! We received the sample of the birch and it is very close to our flooring so I ordered it last night. I remember you mentioning bringing the wood color up higher when talking about framing our new picture and I thought this may help.