Software
Houzz Logo Print
coseyl

backsplash torment

17 years ago

I am a long time peeker and a first time poster. My dilema is that I am attempting to find the perfect backsplash for the house that we have recently moved into.

I am in love with the Ken Mason, South Beach tiles in gold and think they complement my granite and cabinets nicely. However, because the edge of the tile is so "jagged" the grout lines are fairly thick on the display sample, giving the tile a rustic, mediterrean feel. I love that look but my kitchen really needs a more modern straight edge, fine grout line tile. I like Sonoma and Ann Sacks but I just can't find anything from those manufacturers that compares to the color of the Ken Mason tiles.

I called the company and they could do a custom color on a straighter tile for double the price...(seems crazy).

So my question is.....if I use the same grout color as the tile can I make the tile appear more uniform in shape and achieve that cleaner look? The tile company says the tile should be grouted no smaller than a 1/4inch.

Thanks a bunch,

Leslie

Comments (12)

  • 17 years ago

    If you can't find another tile you like as much as theirs, how about the beveled tile from the South Beach line. I think it has a crisper feel to it.

  • 17 years ago

    Looks a bit like New England Art Tile in Harvest. Someone has it as a backspash. Link to that thread if you want to take a look.

    Here is a link that might be useful: installed backsplash.

  • 17 years ago

    Leslie -

    I would say that after looking at what you are talking about, the
    joint widths for the tiles you want to use can be tight (like 1/4")
    and you could pull it off...

    However, if this is in your kitchen - think about this - the grout
    in the area around your cooktoop or range will darken down a few shades
    due to grease exposure from cooking. That area will be easier to see
    as a "grid" than everywhere else = where the grout matches the tiles..

    just something to think about...

    hth....

    kevin

  • 17 years ago

    Remodelfa...I hadn't noticed it before but the bevelled does look crisper. I just called the company and as luck would have it...it can be grouted tightly and it comes in gold!!!
    I couldn't happier. Thank you so much.....I feel like I just won the lottery!!!

  • 17 years ago

    YEAH! I love it when a plan comes together! (OK... who else is old and nerdy enough to remember that line from the A Team?)

    PS: Based on what Kevin said, you might want to find out if this stone can be sealed and then if so, buy a sample and wet it first to see if you still like the color. (or is that just if you also use an enhancer?)

  • 17 years ago

    (OK... who else is old and nerdy enough to remember that line from the A Team?)

    Me. :)

  • 17 years ago

    I am not sure why my second post didn't show up....but I wanted to thank Kevin and Rubyfig for their responses.

    Kevin, you really had me thinking last night about the grout color. I am assuming it won't be as important since the grout lines will be tighter? On the display samples the grout lines were a light grey...and it looked very nice. I plan to spend some time doing a search on "how to choose a grout color."

    Remodelpha, the tile is actually ceramic, do I still need to worry about a color difference when it gets wet?

    Thanks again for all the help.....I now just have one more hurdle. I need to produce pictures of a kitchen that has a bevelled subway tile....I need "proof" as my husband says, that it can actually look nice.

    Have a great day everyone,
    Leslie....and yes, I remember the A-team

  • 17 years ago

    ha! Rubyfig, I think that's the first time anyone has linked my kitchen on gardenweb. (I'm the one with the NEATCO yellow Harvest tile.) It's a proud moment ... :-) (And the colors do look very similar, but it's hard for me to tell from the photos on the Ken Mason web site which are rather dim. In any case I can warmly recommend mine.)

    Leslie, if you post a new thread here asking to see bevelled subway backsplashes, I bet you'll get lots of great pictures. Enjoy!

  • 17 years ago

    Leslie,
    Also, if you post a pic of your kitchen and the backsplash (or something close) you choose; there are photoshop experts on the forum who might be able to give you a visual on how it'll look.

  • 17 years ago

    okay, I am attempting to put pictures on here...this is a trial run.....

    http://s860.photobucket.com/albums/ab164/mcleanl/

    circuspeanut...your tile looks wonderful!

    I just looked at tearose21's tile and that was the look I was going for but I have a yellow/cream/brown/grey floor tile and anything white on the backsplash makes the floor look dirty.
    Any and all help is appreciated!

  • 17 years ago

    Mcleanl:

    Thanks for your kind words - after 31 yeas of being in "the biz" I have
    come to one truth that I know about chosing "grout colors" -

    And I preface my remark by saying this - OK... I'm a guy - I'm also
    Color blind (can you beleive this? 31 years in the Industry - I'm a second
    generation 1st born son of another 1st born son who (my Dad) was ALSO color blind -
    Red/Green if you must ask....) Here's my recommendation -

    "LIGHT SMOKE"

    It's the natural color of DIRT - which is what all grout colors eventually
    degenerate into - dirt colored joints!!! HA!

    Seriously - I have been gouting with Light Smoke colored grouts and
    joint fillers for decades - with very happy results - the color for me - is
    like a "fire and forget missile".... you never have to worry about it
    "showing" dirt - because - it IS the natural color of dirt!!!

    Just a thought from a lazy-color blind-second generation-tile setter -turned
    Granite Fabricator....... that hates to see stained grout or have his customers
    have to deal with discoloration in their grout !!!!

    hth

    kevin

  • 17 years ago

    thanks a bunch Kevin!