Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lecliburn

Front entrance help!

lecliburn
8 years ago

What can I do to help with curb appeal? The u-shape is making my choice more difficult.

Curb appeal · More Info

Comments (9)

• lecliburn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

For own enjoyment. Recently purchased and love the house but hate driving up.

• PRO
    The Sofa Company
    8 years ago

Some colorful flowers around the perimeter of the house would be lovely with that big beautiful lawn. You could also using pavers or stones to match the roof along that walkway

lecliburn thanked The Sofa Company
  • lecliburn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Should we add a cover over front door? Do I need to make flower beds larger?

• PRO
    Reed Landscape Irrigation, LLC
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

A properly proportioned Japanese Maple will do wonders for "u-shaped" areas that are close to the foundation. They provide unparalleled interest and once established and happy, are very low maintenance. Make sure you choose a variety that corresponds to the available space. Here is an example of one we planted for a client.

lecliburn thanked Reed Landscape Irrigation, LLC
  • PRO
  • Irene Morresey
    8 years ago
    Looks fine, I think you need more in the garden you have, perhaps some trees in that big front yard
    lecliburn thanked Irene Morresey
  • hayleydaniels
    8 years ago

If you want to add something over the front door, you NEED to hire an architect to draw up plans that will work with your style of house. The reason I say this isn't to discourage you, but to warn you that this idea that anyone can throw something up that will enhance the look of their home is nonsense. My neighbor put a covered porch over his front and side doors, and I've heard more than a couple of people comment on how horrible it makes the house look. If it didn't decrease the value of his home by $10K, I'd be surprised.

On the other hand, a former neighbor up the street who was a carpenter by trade put a porch on his house that probably added $15K to the value of it, but it wasn't just extending the roof line down. He actually redid the design of the roof, and it's one of the cutest houses in the neighborhood because it was done right.

• PRO
    Design SI
    8 years ago

I would highly recommend working with a professional who can develop a concept based on the contextual understanding of your site.