Software
Houzz Logo Print
melyndas

Solid or sheer curtains to cover a wall?

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

Inspired by many pictures here, I've decided to hang white floor to ceiling curtains in my new bedroom to lighten it up (can't paint) and soften the old harsh wood.
I do understand the differences between sheer and solid fabrics - but I am not sure how each will work against a solid wall.
I am passing IKEA tomorrow (2 hours from home) and they have such inexpensive sheer lace panels that I would love to use (I'm on a budget...and hate spending a fortune on a rental anyways). Is that workable? Or do I really need heavier cloth?
Sorry for how dark the picture is, but that's actually how dark it FEELS in there!
GRRRR - ap won't let me attach a photo. Will try to post it as a comment instead.

Comments (17)

  • 10 years ago
    Funky cottage bedroom.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    What a cool space! Being on a budget, Ikea could be a great option for sheers. I personally like the idea of a sheer like linen in an off white color. It is casual and relaxed. If you are looking for an economical , yet industrial way to hang them, I would get an metal conduit rod from Home Depot/Lowes and get creative with brackets to support them. I love going down the aisles of a home improvement store and thinking outside of the box.

  • 10 years ago
    That's exactly how I planned to hang them! The most inexpensive option for the walls where they will never be seen, and copper piping around the big bay window where they will get drawn.

    I'm thinking I'll go with the bargain basement option for now ($5 for a pair of sheer lace panels) and upgrade over time if I don't love it. Extra fabric around the house always comes in handy eventually! It may end up on the ceiling...
  • 10 years ago

    Sounds good to me!

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Here is the problem with sheers.......................they are somewhat transparent so the wood will show through. In order to diminish the dark color it will require more sheers so they can be gathered together more closely. If you purchase opaque white drapes from IKEA, you have the option of using fewer panels to obtain the desired effect.

    Maybe learn to embrace the wood and use the panels in a decorative manner.

  • 10 years ago

    I agree with the pros. What I think will NOT work is the lace you mentioned. Lace is too traditional for a wooden walled room as you have here. I bought ivory jacquard (self patterned) opaque panels at Ikea and they look great in my bedroom.

  • 10 years ago

    Another idea!

    If you were to purchase some flat sheets and thread some fine wire in the seam opening ,hang them flat against the walls ,then get sheers that you could gently gather you will have a background and the sheers would look great . .

    If you like colour , for example bleu get blue sheets and white sheers .

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Use cup hooks to fasten the wires to this way the tension will be perfect .

  • 10 years ago
    Well, the panels IKEA was calling their "lace" was more like cheap mosquito netting! That totally did not make the grade. Ended up with plain white thin but not gauzy panels for the walls; their heavy cotton velvet for the window wall and the bay window opening (turquoise for one set, deep pink for the other - not sure which will go where), and a pair of ivory velvet panels to use to recover a pair of slipper chairs for the bay. Going to find nicer sheers or lace (or maybe eyelet) for the bay windows since they face out where my neighbors walk past and will be drawn most of the time.

    Home Depot tomorrow for piping and supplies so I can hang everything.
  • 10 years ago

    Sounds good, I'm familiar with those velvet drapes, they're nice.

  • 10 years ago

    If you don't mind vintage ,go to a second hand store and look for some fabric / sheets/sheers/curtains /lace and be creative with colours ..

  • 10 years ago


    Paradise Valley Exotic · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    Between the giant white armoire I found and all the white fabric on the walls, the room was much brighter. But I didn't love the drapes behind the bed/dresser/armoire. So I just replaced it with a wallpaper mural. Of course, it isn't possible to wallpaper a roughcut lumber wall...hooray for staple guns and scotch tape! Really loving this funky wall now...
  • 10 years ago

    I did this with my old apartment. I had a small bedroom with one window and the only wall that the bed looked good against was the window. So our headboard blocked the window. I wanted to unify the look of that whole wall. I bought a tension wire from Ikea to hang the curtains on and mounted it on either wall. I bought the sheer curtains at Ikea but bought 6 (sets of 2) panels though 3 would have covered the wall. I liked how they looked layered together.


    They were sheer but they did the job and made it look like there was a wall of windows. I really liked them :) I am gonna put them up again in our new house the same way. I want to say the whole thing was less than $40. I was able to assemble it all myself 7 months pregnant lol!


    This is what I got, it's a set with the wire and the two mounts. I didn't have mine angled 90' I put it on the opposing walls and did it straight across.

    Dignitet Curtain Wire · More Info

    That was one piece, and I had to get a support for the middle.


    DIGNITET Support/corner fixture - IKEA · More Info

    I got these clips for the curtains because I felt like they would snag on the wire. I never tried them directly on the wire. But the went smoothly with them clipped to the curtains.


    DIGNITET Curtain wire - IKEA · More Info


    These were the curtains I got, I think they are the same as what you want.

    LILL Lace curtains, 1 pair - IKEA · More Info




  • 10 years ago

    I should add even though they are sheer they add an airy touch to the room. But do NOT cover up the wood.

  • 10 years ago
    Thx Julie. My budget technique was plumbing pipe and strapping. Nice thing about wood walls is you can put a screw in anywhere. The fabric I ended up with was thin but not sheer, and it covered up the wood pretty well. But the armoire I found covered so much of the wall with whiteness that it turned out to be overkill. So I replaced it with the fun wallpaper. Still have fabric on the wall at the foot of the bed and on the window walls. It's fun sometimes to have a finite budget and discover what cool things you can do within those constraints!