Software
Houzz Logo Print
mphillips97

Need help with my entry way

13 years ago
Please! Please help with my entry way! What size rug do you recommend? 5x7 would fit within the tile border but is that too big? What furniture would be best in front of 2 large windows that start at floor level? Any other comments ideas are gladly accepted. The styleI like best is contemporary. Thank you!

Comments (22)

  • 13 years ago
    Can we see the rest of the space to get a feel for your design style?
  • 13 years ago
    To answer your question, I think a 5 x 8 rug would fit nicely there. You mention you like contemporary but the current space/furniture looks more tradtional. How about a low sleek bench in front of the windows? The door/bench and dining table look more traditional though. Are you changing those furniture pieces out?
    "Tarp" Bench · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Yes, I will upload some other photos. Just keep in mind though that we've only been in this house for less than a year. I am still sorting through what works and what doesn't from our last house. I have many projects. I am also new to this site but absolutely love it! Thanks everyone for such a quick responses.
  • 13 years ago
    @Darzy; the bench in the photo is not staying. My last house the decor was very traditional. I am changing most everything out in our new home. I love the bench. Perfect! Thank you!
  • 13 years ago
    Additional view
  • 13 years ago
    I feel a round table over a round rug would be a stunning introduction. Looking at your photo, add a framed mirror to the wall on the left by the windows. Add curtains. Good luck.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    What a beautiful kitchen! Add window panels to either side of the window that soften the edges of the foyer. Add iron bar stools as well as an iron bench. A 5 x 8 area rug will keep the area looking large and add color. As said above, remove accessories from around the door...keep it clean and uncluttered. Welcome home!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Do you have a closet for coats?
    What is on the wall opposite the bench?
  • 13 years ago
    As suggested I removed all items. Will also look into millwork for side lights. Looking for curtains, a rug, found the perfect iron bar stools on houzz, I have a coat closet but not in the optimal location. Perhaps a coat hanger on the left side as you face front door?? I'm torn between a leather tufted bench or a small cabinet/table (although a sofa type table does not work because of the windows) because I have some beautiful frames I would like to display. I'm thinking the bench is probably the better option. Would you suggest a neutral colored rug or ??? Please give me more rug suggestions. Thank you all!
  • 13 years ago
    No wall opposite the bench. Transitions to carpet in living room.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    So the ceiling is vaulted to the living room? On your entry windows, I would put up stationary curtain panels on a rod installed mid way from top of window to ceiling. A geometric or textured pattern would look great. I like the mill work idea on the side lights too. LOVE your door.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The attached photo shows an option for guests to hang coats and a small sofa for sitting.
    http://houzz.com/photos/714496
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Have you considered replacing the entry with another product. Eliminating the need to cover the tile rug? Wood will give it a warmer feel.
  • 13 years ago
    Yes, actually that is high upon my wish list. I would like to remove all the tile from the entry way and kitchen and the carpet from the office and family room and replace it all with bamboo hardwood. This is the first home I've had with this much tile and I do not love it. In addition to the aesthetics, it is very hard on my back. Thank you for your input.
  • 13 years ago
    5x7 is good in warm colors, oriental
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you. I believe I have found one with some burnt orange and browns. I will post a pic soon.
  • 13 years ago
    A rug that is.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Here's how to "contemporize" your space. Switch to ceiling to floor sliding blinds- Theses run on a track. In the side windows put some see thru white fabric, that goes with the sliding blinds. The carpet gets lots of traffic. patterns work best. Choose one tha picks up the colur on the floor somewhere in it.
  • 13 years ago
    It looks as if you have a nice size entry with great windows and a beautiful door. I have attached a casual traditional option to consider It would definitely look nice if the door and sidelights were trimmed out to look like one cohesive unit as suggested in an earlier post.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you for another completely different idea Leya! And for taking the time to photoshop it for me to see. That helped me significantly!
  • 12 years ago
    I like a round rug -- something durable for entryway wear and tear!