Software
Houzz Logo Print
monica_rega

Coordinate Paint Color with Old Ugly Stone Fireplace

10 years ago

I'm trying to figure out what to paint our walls with to go with this fireplace. its old and the front is newer and those owls are built into it. I'm not just sure what paint scheme is should go with. Should I try to clean the stones first as you see the stones for the shelving is way darker than the rest of it. It has pretty cool things in them like arrow heads a pair of scissors, and bullets. We live at the beach and its a fake log cabin home. Please excuse the mess i'm doing some much needed deep cleaning and for right now that stuff is just thrown in the room. and that blue tint is from my camera



Comments (11)

  • 10 years ago

    What colors do you use in your decor? The stones vary but seem like they would work well with bm natural linen http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/naturallinen that would be very beachy with white painted trim (paint yourfurnace vent the wall color), You can try the scrubbing bubbles on the darker stones but it appears they selected darker stones for those areas.

    White walls work if you have terrific natural light and stunning architecture - but a simple beach cottage wants to have some contrast back to the trim.

    I kind of love your chimney because it is so unique . . you guys can really celebrate it with the right approach. I think it wants some unification - if the mantel has been painted white, then the shelves to right and left need to go white as well. A creamier warm / off-white would do better against this stone than a crisp white.

    Monica Rega thanked libradesigneye
  • 10 years ago

    thanks. I was thinking maybe something earthy. Its small odd room. But I'm really liking the ideas. The painting of the fireplace wasn't complete. unfortunately this room doesn't get as much light. I had to open the front door to get it bright in the room

  • 10 years ago

    Then I would definitely not want to go with white - but I would want natural linen slipcovers and washable white slipcovers (bemz on ikea ektorp could be great at the shore) and natural linen walls and white trim and jute / natural sisal sorts of rugs .. maybe even off white painted wood plank floor if I wanted to bring more light in - try some plug in sconces in bronze over the sofa. Maybe mask and try to paint out the black and bronze fire insert with all oil rubbed bronze paint by rustolem .. give it a vintage feeling . . . .to this, maybe focus on just one accent color (but many shades of it) in art and pillows .. I know blues and greens are typical, but what about using orange instead here? Some washed tangerine tones, orange on pillows, darker orange combined with burlap? It would pick up the terracotta tones in some of the stones in the fire and be original / feel great in the space.

    If your kitchen is painted cabinets, maybe paint them a deeper shade than linen and use white countertops and white penny tile . . bm bleeker beige would be great for that http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/bleekerbeige - start filling in a deeper tone of khaki - mixed with white but have a vintage feel with the penny rounds .. You could paint the interior of a secretary or one of the upper cabinets a sweet orange / take the doors off .. i'm thinking tangerine http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/tangerinemelt

    Lots of great fabrics with these shades commercially available .. and they blend great with indigo if people give you well meaning blue things . . water art, etc.

  • 10 years ago

    Funky fireplace! It's almost like folk art. Anyway just had to jump in and say replace the mantel with something more substantial and in raw reclaimed wood to go with the beach house theme.

    Rustic Living Room · More Info

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    A warm gray or taupe for the walls will compliment the stone. Pick up one of colors from the stone. Paint the mantle a charcoal gray or black in a satin finish. Also paint the window frame and muttins the same gray or black but leave the casings around the window off white if that is what you have in the rest of the house. The dark mantle and frame will punch up the contrast and harmonize the black of the fireplace surround and heavy stone.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I don't think the fireplace is quirky attractive. I would make plans to restone the fireplace. Check with a mason. You might find it won't break the bank.

  • 10 years ago
    I'm gonna need your address. This awesome fireplace has triggered all my organization neuroses!
  • 10 years ago

    Sorry, but it reminds me of Hansel and Gretel.

  • 10 years ago

    That fireplace is a *HOOT*

  • 10 years ago

    Honey, you have me owling with laughter. Now get back to helping her feather her nest.