Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silken1

Can't Decide Between 2 Granites

8 years ago

We found two different granite choices for our bathroom reno that I love. I am just torn as to which one to get. They both pass multiple stress tests and seem to go fine with floors, cabinets etc.

The first one we found is Fusion Quartzite. I have included a picture of the area on the slab we would use along with the cabinet colour and we think we will use Caesarstone quartz for tub surround and behind the toilet in Dreamy Marfil. The floor is a very neutral creamy off white 12 inch square ceramic tile.

The 2nd find was Greenpeace Granite. I tried two times to get pics, but the sun was just glaring both days and I can't get a decent picture. So I included a pic (DH trying to hold our template up to block the sun in that picture) and also a shot from the web showing someone else's bathroom vanity with better colouring. The tub surround might work with Caesarstone Misty Carrera. Sort of a light grey as there is a bit of grey thru this stone.

The vanity is only 45 inches long and we sort of want it to be the statement piece in the bathroom with otherwise neutral colours. White tub, toilet and sink.

I know in the end we have to decide. But if anyone has an opinion, I am open to hearing them. Thanks.

Comments (12)

• 8 years ago

Thanks for the input Linelle. I have heard this before about combining granite with quartz. We wanted to do solid surface surround to avoid ever having maintenance or leaking issues with grout. The bathroom is pretty typical, come in the door and the vanity is first, toilet next to it and tub along the far end. We would use the same granite/quartzite for the vanity backsplash so the quartz won't really be in contact with the granite. That way we get a bit more of the granite with our small vanity. But the quartz will be behind the toilet and likely run at wainscot height up to the end of the vanity. We have tiled most of our house and our smaller bathroom and just don't want to do the tiling for this bathroom that is used for a shower every single day. We want this to be the last time this bathroom is updated, repaired or whatever.

Oh, and the picture truly doesn't do the Greenpeace granite justice. But I agree, the Fusion is stunning, so I am so torn. Wish I had two bathrooms to renovate (not) so I could have both!

• 8 years ago

They are both beautiful looking at them abstractly. My one concern is that there is a lot of action in the Fusion, and it might be too busy in your space. The Greenpeace is dramatic, but more soothing and sophisticated to my eyes.

silken1 thanked kudzu9
  • 8 years ago

I like the Fusion much more than the Greenpeace. I hate to say it but Greenpeace vaguely reminds me of the tragic 90's trend of hunter green & burgundy faux-marble bathrooms. The Fusion would give you a lot more flexibility with accent colors especially if you wanted to change up your wall color or decor a few years from now and seems like it could work well with both warm and cool tones. It definitely looks nicer with your cabinet color than Greenpeace does. I have to kind of agree on mixing the quartz with the quartzite or granite...I love the color you selected to go with the Fusion but maybe you can find one of a similar color that is more plain vs having the marble like veining? I'm afraid they wouldn't play well together.

silken1 thanked Lisa G
  • 8 years ago

Thanks for the comments.

kudzu9, I agree, the Greenpeace is dramatic but more calming. Because it is a small vanity, by the time the sink is cut out there won't be a lot of either one. So I am not really concerned about it being too much. I don't want a totally bland bathroom, which it is sort of except for the granite.

Lisa G , I guess I missed that 90's trend of green and burgundy!! I bought a moss green face cloth which looks beautiful with a sample of the Greenpeace. Figured I would start with that for towels if we went green.

There were very limited options to find a solid surface tub surround in 1 cm versus 2 cm thickness. Very few companies make the thin stuff. I can go with 2cm thick but fear it will look chunky where ever an edge shows on the wall. But the search continues.....

• 8 years ago

I love color and have a red sofa in one room and burnt orange chairs in another, but I much prefer the major fixed elements in a home to be more neutral. My kitchen counter is granite, similar in color to Greenpeace, and I can't wait to rip it out and replace it with something more neutral. If you are looking to sell the house in a few years, this is not a choice that will appeal to a majority of buyers.

silken1 thanked chispa
  • 8 years ago

Ohhh, no contest imo...Fusion Quartzite :) I did a Google image search and saw more photos. It's kinda similar to DH's granite in his bathroom. Let me tell ya, it hides EVERYthing :) At first I thought DH was just being tidy...I should have known better lol. I think the Fusion Quartizite will be the same. His vanity is only 36". With a glass copper (colored) sink and offset Venetian Bronze faucet, the vanity is the star of the bathroom. (We) don't feel like it's too over powering.

Magma Gold/Desert Dream Granite

silken1 thanked monicakm_gw
  • 8 years ago

Fusion Quartzite!!! I have been in love with that stone since I first saw one. I personally would have trouble cutting into it. That is a really beautiful piece.

silken1 thanked djalso
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks for all the comments. This has been our home for 40 years and will be till they carry us out. I have waited decades to have a nice bathroom and I'm not afraid to put something a bit bold in it. The entire bathroom is neutral so I think it needs one shot of colour or character. So long as I can find nice towels over time to go with those colours. I think DH loves the Fusion the best and its what we first fell in love with. Then the granite people wouldn't let us use the slab we initially saw because it is just a small piece and they wanted us to take from an already cut slab. So we started looking elsewhere and fell in love with the Greenpeace also. In the end we fell in love with this part of the already cut Fusion slab. I just had to re\-adjust my thinking from what we first saw. The duller centre will be cut for the sink and the edges utilized for backsplash just to get a little more of it. It is still soft gentle swirls so I am not afraid of the colours. We did our kitchen in Titanium granite a couple years ago and we still are in love with it. The entire slab of Fusion is gorgeous but maybe a large area would be too much for a lot of people. If we were re-doing our TV room now I would love it around our fireplace but that is not going to happen in the near future.

• 8 years ago

If you are looking to sell the house in a few years, this is not a choice that will appeal to a majority of buyers.

Sorry but I beg to differ strongly. If the rest of the house is well designed and the bathroom is also well designed so that the granites play nicely in the space, it won't matter about the countertop.

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

cpartist, we bought our current house in spite of the green granite in the kitchen and five (5) bathrooms clad in green and red tile, but we made sure to negotiate a lower price because we knew we would be ripping it all out. Buyers will do the mental math and deduct value for things that are taste specific in any house. All the bathroom are now redone and only the green granite is left and will be a project for later in the year.

When we were younger and didn't have the funds to remodel to our taste, you can bet I didn't choose the great house that had blue counters throughout. I could not live with that type of decor. It doesn't matter to the OP as they don't plan to sell any time soon.

• 8 years ago

This small 45 inch length of granite (whether we go with the Greenpeace or the Fusion) could easily be removed without changing anything else in the bathroom. The cost would be minimal. Our house is not decorated in weird colours and styles.