Software
Houzz Logo Print
dreacorator

PLEASE! Chimney Repair Help NJ

10 years ago
My chimney is in obvious need of immediate repair - repointing, cap, and two sleeves. With the brick replacement, will it look like patchwork or can it look seamless? Anyone have pics of a repointing job? Considering a stacked stone also instead of brick. Any insights?

Comments (11)

  • 10 years ago
    Can anyone informed advise if this looks like it can be tuckpointed/ repaired or does it have to be rebuilt?
  • 10 years ago

    I can't be of much help to you, but when I saw you were from NJ, I just wanted to say, please be careful. I've yet to find a chimney service that wasn't a scam, and I've had dealings with masons recently that make me want to replace every piece of concrete, brick and stone with Lego. There was one truly excellent master brick worker and mason in Maywood, but I think he retired. Have you tried asking the building department in your town, they always say they can't recommend people, but if you let them see you're desperate, they find some way of letting you know. This, I'm afraid, is becoming another lost art. Best of luck.

  • 10 years ago
    Thank you so much for your insight and compassion, Alberta! Will do- I was also thinking of checking with the fire department, too. I'm so very discouraged by Angie's List offerings. This is a very frustrating process!!!
  • 10 years ago

    I feel so bad for you, it's one thing when you don't have the money or something, but when you just can't find honest, decent, qualified people...I had another thought. Try asking the local rep from your homeowners insurance company. Don't give them the idea that there's a threatening problem, of course, but I know there are some companies that do referrals for such things,mine does it for autobody repair, and it's fantastic, and they keep sending us polls asking if we'd like the same thing for home repair, and I keep saying YES, but so far, no dice.

  • 10 years ago
    That's actually a great idea, Alberta! We haven't had great luck with finding contractors of any kind, so my home reno has been at a standstill for longer than I had ever hoped. We are finally ready to do our roof - my husband used to have a roofing company for many years - and we wanted to have the chimney done in tandem. While I have your advice rolling, do you know any contractors for asbestos tile removal (our other fruitless search)!
  • 10 years ago

    I know who to avoid, are you in the north or south of Jersey?

  • 10 years ago
    Even that helps! North
  • 10 years ago

    I'm new, I can't figure out how to message, want to message me?

  • 10 years ago
    I dont think u can on Houzz, or at least I never discovered how :( If you feel comfortable doing so, you can email thatchickandrea@yahoo or feel free to share here - no one else is looking at this post anyway!
  • 10 years ago

    Check your inbox!

  • 9 years ago
    I know this is an old post but I'm also in NJ (north) and looking for a good mason to repair brick on an older home (built 1929). If you've had good experience with someone, I'd love to have the name