Software
Houzz Logo Print
frontier4u

Is there such a thing as too much wood?

We are finishing a home office for a client, which is a stand alone prefab building (i.e. not a room in the house). It is a small 10' x 12' building. The clients desire is hardwood floor, reclaimed lumber (barnwood) on the walls, and burnt pine T&G on the ceiling. Individually, each of these finishes are awesome, but I fear that together they will not look good. Does anyone have an opinion or photo they could share of something similar to what I am describing? I am aiming for a happy client!


Thanks!

Jeremy

Frontier Structures, LLC

Comments (18)

  • 10 years ago

    It's definitely too much wood even for me, a natural wood lover! I would want to see what has inspired your client to wanting that much wood.

    Frontier Custom Builders thanked Bev
  • 10 years ago

    The client needs to be shown a digital mock up of this. It really sounds horrific! If they seen it in 3D maybe they will grasp the full on wrongness of these elements together. Unfortunately when it does end up looking like ___ at the end guess who will bear the brunt of the criticism - you. I would graciously back out of the project if the digital rendering is not doable cause this will not end well.

    Frontier Custom Builders thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    I watch hgtv's program called tiny houses. Indeed, it can look good with all wood, and even better when it's not all the same exact wood/look.

    Frontier Custom Builders thanked everdebz
  • 10 years ago

    Maybe they are wanting it to look like they are in a cabin.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I prefer some painted areas. Rustic wood on the ceiling and on the floors is enough for me. See attached.

    Westport Island House · More Info

    Frontier Custom Builders thanked Scorziell Development, Inc.
  • 10 years ago
    A lot of wood
    Frontier Custom Builders thanked Brandi Nash Hicks
  • 10 years ago

    I think it will be too much unless you paint the walls. All wood will reduce the resale value, as less people will like it, too. Certainly, wood is in fashion today, but in doses.

    Frontier Custom Builders thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    It sounds like they are going for an office in a shed.

  • 10 years ago

    As it's a stand alone building, not in the house then I shouldn't think it would affect any resale value. I'd say go for it, would have been a different answer if it was part of the house.

    Frontier Custom Builders thanked anneowl
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    These are all great comments and I very much appreciate the photos that people posted too. My sense is that it would work, but needs to have the right combinatio. I will post pics of the final product in a few weeks. Thank you everyone for chiming in!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    This is one of those times when you need to rein in a client and make some realistic suggestions to keep this from looking like a dogs breakfast. The pine is the one I would lose and maybe the reclaimed wood on one wall with the hardwood floor

  • 10 years ago

    FC: do you have a sample of this "burnt pine" you could upload? Just for my burning curiousity?

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    The answer to your question is yes (there IS such a thing as too much wood). I love wood, but the result would be claustrophobic for me, and for many others I would think. Wood on the floor and ceiling would work best, something else on the walls. Or a concrete slab floor, with two different shades of not-too-dark wood on the walls and ceiling.

  • 10 years ago
    My thought is put in the floors and walls they have asked for and then hold up a burned sample of ceiling with them present and see if they still want it. I agree, I think it might work. For them. It's a detached shed, give them what they want. No value lost!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Image of burnt pine, per Rusty's request. It's more of a burnish than a burn.
  • 10 years ago

    I would not want burnt pine anywhere in my house. As my mom would say, "To each his own"!

  • 10 years ago
    The burnt pine needs a stain added to it. Regardless this is too Little house on the Prairie for me!
    Frontier Custom Builders thanked Business_Name_Placeholder