Software
Houzz Logo Print
pilarmartinezr

Looking for a contrast color

10 years ago
What would be a nice contrast color to use with a White Dove or China White of Benjamin Moore? House is a spacious and a lof of lighting. We want to paint the whole house with one of those two whites and find a contrast color to use in a few walls.

Comments (13)

  • 10 years ago

    What colors are you using in your décor? I'm assuming this is the sellers furniture and colors. Also - accent walls signal more contemporary style where this house appears to be solidly traditional with muntined windows and cased openings, wood floor, classic baluster stairs .. you have a slate gray entry tile floor, so without more information, you might pick a gray neutral tone in that same family . . .something like bm shadow gray ..

    http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/shadowgray

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Please post an image that is larger so we can actually see your home. This is how it appears on my computer.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I would choose an accent color that you have in some of your décor such as accent pillows and/or wall hangings

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    With that much white, I'd suggest a very light contrast. Maybe a nice cool gray.

  • 10 years ago
    Yes, that previos picture was the sellers decor. The house is empty now, but attached are a few pictures I have. We are moving from a small house to this big house so we don't have much furniture, but the furniture we have is traditional (dark cherry, and green sofas). I'm kind of debating between using a darker color or keep the white tones. I just feel like the white tones are safer. Great comments, thanks! And more are welcome :).
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    A medium Grey tone would look great!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

    I'd wait until you have all the furniture and rugs in place. Since you are moving from a smaller place I am just guessing you will have to buy some new pieces. Get the walls painted white but wait on any other colors. Color of walls is meant to be the last choice. I know it seems inconvenient to do it that way but it is what the pro's here usually advise.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I would use a contrast/accent color in your fabrics.

    If you want all white rooms, do two whites. Try BM Decorator's white for your trim and BM linen white, cut with some of the decorator's white, for the walls. Make sure you cut the linen white, maybe by 25% or more until you like the contrast.

    Try purple/blue for you accent colors.

    Horse Couture Pillow · More Info
    Kaleen Restoration Rectangle Area Rug in Blue, Res04-17, 8'x10' · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I do too, emmarene, from decades of experience. It's a foolproof method .

  • 10 years ago

    If you have cherry tones and green, I would not suggest gray. Nor would I suggest keeping the white - while the house is lovely, both your things sound like and the house looks like more classic traditional to me.

    With cherry wood furniture and lighter wood flooring, and green upholstery . . I would suggest either a very historic sort of pale off white straw tone like bm goldtone or bm cornsilk .. a tad deeper in bm mushroom cap (a pretty soft dijon tone) to bridge the cherry and the floors and help to set off the trim and windows . . or do a warm neutral that keys off the kind of greens that you are bringing in . . greens have a wide range . . tell us more about yours . . are you dealing with olive or are you sage toned? sw blonde is in this range .. ..


    Classical Twist: A Modern Townhouse with Traditional Reference · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    It really is good advice to get the furniture in the house. Lighting changes colors and once you get the furniture in you will get a feeling for the right color. For ideas I pulled a few.

    Riptide · More Info

    Hearth Room · More Info
    I don't know your tastes or the exact color of your sofas, but I love this second room with the white walls, view of trees outside and the complimentary color of a blue shade on walls.