Software
Houzz Logo Print
akagam

How to update 1970s orange brick home without painting the brick?

10 years ago

We purchased this home, and are


Now looking to increase the curb appeal. Painting the brick is not an option. The roof will be replaced, but now right away. We are thinking shutters, but are having a difficult time with colors. The trim and front door color can easily be changed. Any suggestions on what can be done now, and that will go with a roof color that will be updated in a couple years? Thank you.

Comments (21)

  • 10 years ago
    Hello-the house looks like it has good bones, but it's facade is a bit flat! I am not a professional but enjoy design. I think that enhancing the landscaping would be a great start; larger planting beds with plants that are more to scale with the house, maybe a couple of unique plants for added interest. Maybe mimic some of the new landscaping at the house at the street end of the walkway. Another quick update would be to change the light fixture on the post lamp to something larger or more interesting. Good luck & enjoy! Please pics of what you decide to do!
  • 10 years ago
    If you search "orange brick house" in Houzz Photos, you'll get lots of ideas. You can do shutters, in a black, charcoal gray, or dark taupe,. You can beef up the window framing by adding white, black or charcoal trim, you can add both trim and shutters. You can paint the front door black, charcoal, or a bright orange, that will tie in the brick. And landscaping, both foundation and the front path. This is a stately home, I would stay away from cottage or bungalow styles.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Black shutters and landscaping.

    You could put a cover over the front entrance too. If you search Houzz for "brick Georgian" you will see that many of these have a railing around them too, like this one.

    Classic Georgian · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    Landscape would be the biggest help. The portico suggested before would be beautiful. shutters as suggested might be nice but window flower boxes might be a charming touch instead. Lastly, you must get rid of or add a second lamppost because the house is very symmetrical.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I like the house's formality but would rather see blue shutters, not just any shutter style, but real working solid panel shutters. Not just an ordinary blue but a high end paint product that has a depth of color so when the sun glides across you know it's unique. Much like the Charleston Green/Black that has some Amber/yellow undertones that aren't noticeable except in high light and then very subtle. Instead of white trim, match the grout color but go one value deeper. As far as landscaping, perhaps keeping the symmetry is a good thing by going with an American hybrid of an English style boxwood trimmed to be broader at the base and slightly taper as one trims to the top--as large as your budget allows, planted in a deep curvy bed. Keep taller pla rings at each end and taper down as you enter the front entry visual space. I like the idea of a front portico, but larger. Add a circular drive. If not halfway down walkway, widen out the pavers to add a formal hedge and place Luyten benches on either side. Change out the front door for a unique heavy wooden door with an oversized aged brass door knocker. Think "Downton Abbey"!

    Paulette Purgason
    . so that your guests can so that
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    By the way, I would eliminate the curve trim over front entry and keep the square lines instead.
    Paulette Purgason. Good luck. Enjoy. Keep us posted as you find this beauty's visual voice.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    This is a rare case where I think topiary would look nice on each side of the door, only do if you are willing to maintain them though. I find grooming plants to be peaceful but many find it a burden.

    These are artificial. You should get the real kind that grow in the ground.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Gray or Black Roof, Black Shutters, White Trim, Bigger plants out front.

    Classic look. Definitely needs shutters in the worst way and a roof that compliments the brick color instead of being a poor match like now.


  • 10 years ago

    We can't see what is on the left side. Please post a picture that includes that so we can help.

  • 10 years ago

    LOL @suzyq53, most likely the carriage house is to the left side.

    Love these Georgian styles!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Great house that is a little "Plain Jane" right now. When you replace your roof I would go with a dimensional shingle that is more gray tones than the orange/brown you have now. That will tone the brick color down some.

    In terms of shutters, yours is a house that will definitely be improved by the addition of shutters. I would stay in the darker tones. You could do a . . .

    Medium Gray

    Darker Gray

    Dark Navy Blue

    Black

    or Dark Teal

    I tried some lighter colors but the darker ones seemed to work better. I would also add lights on either side of the front door, which I would leave the current color (I really like deep reds), and add some landscaping. This is a formal style home so I wouldn't go too crazy with the landscaping and keep it more formal.

  • 10 years ago

    Beverly's landscaping is perfect.

  • 10 years ago
    I would go with the green shutters Beverly shows. Once you replace the roof with something darker, paint the shutters black.

    Personally, I would paint the brick. But I can understand not wanting to.

    It is a nice house. Doesn't need much help.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I also prefer more formal landscaping, with straight lines including something along either side of the front walk. Do you need a walkway to the left, to the driveway?

    Here's another portico I came across. This one with an arch in the gable would repeat your existing arch. Or a flat one as I showed above would look great too.

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you everyone for your comments. Beverly and Kevin your visuals were extremely helpful. We have many things to think about and consider.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    So many great suggestions already! I would remove the brick lining your walkway --it doesn't appear to match the house and feels like too much brick. I would then widen the walkway and line it with shrubs, like suggested above.

  • 10 years ago
    Beverly's landscape concept works very well......includes the lamppost and breaks the length of the walkway. Keep lawn in the forefront, but a zone-appropriate groundcover between house and Beverley's planting beds would add texture and interest, as well less mowing.......always a plus!
  • 10 years ago
    Our second home had a similar dilemma. Not as stately as your (1966 modified colonial) but focused on landscaping, changed the front door color black and shutters black. Storm came through and was able to darken the shingles. Focused on landscaping too.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Black shutters I think and a dark green door, almost black

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Definitely add a portico to create a focal point at the entrance. Classic finishes would be charcoal roof, black shutters, larger plants at the house and border plantings following the sidewalk. Beautiful home. Good luck!