debra_macdonald

80's kitchen update on a budget

Debra

This was my kitchen. (Pause..maybe gasp...) Your typical 1980's orange oak cabinets with horrible green counter tops.

The budget doesn't allow for new cabinets so we painted them. The flooring has to stay as well. The only thing I really love is the red couch.

My color inspiration is the couch and a pair of curtains a friend gave me. I chose BM white cloud for the cabinets and owl gray for the walls. I originally thought beveled subway for the backsplash but went with flat instead, for a cleaner look. The counter top is Wilsonart Italian white di pesco. We sent the doors to a paint shop for a quality finish and we painted the frames ourselves while the doors were out. A friend helped my husband with the back splash. We hired an electrician who installed the lighting and adjusted the outlets. The whole thing came together for about $8000, including the fee for our wonderful carpenter and upholstery for the armchair in the TV room.

The result: