Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mushcreek

It's December, 2016. How is your build progressing?

mushcreek
7 years ago

Ho, Ho, Ho! The holidays are upon us, but the building must go on. With winter arriving, things have been slowing down a bit, but many folks are still at it, or just starting. Will you been in your new home by the new year? Building a house is exciting, fun, frustrating, and sometimes downright scary, but we're here for you. This monthly thread is for you to share your project with others in the same boat, and for some of us that just can't seem to get enough. Please share your drawings and pics, from conception to active construction to the grand finale.

Comments (183)

• dazureus
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Rolling into closing our second year of construction, but progress is definitely on track now that we have a new builder on the scene. I swear, it feels like an HGTV show, where the owners have a bad builder, and the host of the show/new builder comes in and busts balls to get things done right. We finally have water and sewer trenched the 250 feet to the street hookups and paid all the inspection fees. We lucked out and found an unregistered sewer hook up the builder next door installed so we didn't have to tear up any of our neighbors landscaping and driveway. We did have to scope the hook up and submit the video for inspection. We're sealed up for the winter with construction heat keeping the inside trades warm. Working on completing HVAC, plumbing, and electrical at the same time. Lakefort is progressing nicely.

Snowed in, but even without the attic insulation, the ICF keeps the house warm.

PEX lines with a hot loop and drains are making their way down to the basement with minimal living space intrusion.

First floor drains are taking shape in the basement. Soon we'll have it all connected.

Great room internal scaffolding is finally down after a year.

Electricians started on the porches so we can close them up and get the siding started.

HVAC installers are using these inflatable dampers for zone controlling. Never seen anything like it.

Turret dragon weather vane mounting will have to wait for warmer weather.

• cslaughter27
    7 years ago

ITS OFFICIAL!!! picked up our building permit today and digging starts tomorrow! lot is all staked out. Merry Christmas to us!

• cslaughter27
    7 years ago
    it's even more flattened out now, just too dark to take a picture. builder thinks we should have foundation poured this week! one pic was this morning, other pic was in the afternoon.
  • lakeerieamber
    7 years ago

Slow week here. Next up is the insulation and it has been too cold for them to start the blown in insulation. Looks like they may be able to start tomorrow. In the meantime my husband and dad did all the insulation in the garage and the sound insulation in the interior walls over the past few days.

• housequester
    7 years ago

Construction · More Info

Construction · More Info

After a couple of days off due to extreme cold, the builders were back at it, nearly finishing the ICF basement walls. They still have to finish up the corner at the front of the first picture, where there will be a window and walk out door. Then, they are planning to fill the forms with concrete. That will be either tomorrow or Friday, depending on how long that corner takes them to get ready. I'm glad the weather has let up a bit.

• housequester
    7 years ago

Looking at the pictures of the ICF forms surrounded by snow, it looks like we're building an igloo! :-)

• lakeerieamber
    7 years ago

Went to another granite warehouse and this green granite caught my eye and has me rethinking things....

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Nice Lakeerie. But then again, I'm very fond of the green granites. What are you rethinking?

• lakeerieamber
    7 years ago

Rethinking painting the perimeter cabinets and staining the island dark. With the green, leaning towards staining the perimeter cabinets a medium brown color and paining the island. Also nervous to commit to the green vs a more neutral stone. I am loving the green, though.

• Susu
    7 years ago

This is how it looks as of today. Windows are going up. Another month or two before it is ready for us.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

The green is stunning and your stone is actually tame compared to mine so I say go for it.

• Susu
    7 years ago

Mm...what happened to my pictures...

• Susu
    7 years ago

• rmverb
    7 years ago

Appliances are in the concrete mantel and hearth are also in. Unfortunately the fireplace is on hold until we get the proper faceplate

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Dazureus, I LOVE that weather vane and your house is looking great.

Susu, my guess is you might have more than a month or two, especially if your builders are anything like ours. However, looking good.

Rmverb, I love looking at your pictures. Your aesthetic works with mine.

• cslaughter27
    7 years ago

rmverb- so pretty! love the floors. appliances look great.

our foundation forms went in this morning, can't wait to see when I get off work.

did anyone else feel like their house looked small when its in this stage?

• mushcreek
    Original Author
    7 years ago

cslaughter27- Your house will keep 'changing' size at each level of completion. It will be too small, too big, too small, too big, and finally, just right.

• zorroslw1
    7 years ago

Mushcreek is right. It looks really small when the foundation is in, still small when the walls go up, big when the drywall is up and even bigger when you get moved in.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Actually mine looks huge because we are on 1 1/2 lots compared to the houses being built around us. Of course when I map out the rooms and the garage, it looks tiny. However, I've already measured so I know it's correct.

• cslaughter27
    7 years ago
    cpartist- I was tempted to get a tape out and measure when they were done with the forms but then they started pouring concrete! wasn't expecting it so fast. I will just have to wait and see :) pic from today's end. My husbands mom/stepdad live up the hill on the right. We are living there during construction.
  • greenwoodframed
    7 years ago

Our contractor gave us back our keys today. Still some very minor things outside and need a final DOB construction inspection, plus two doorknobs which are backordered but no more 8am arrival. It's been almost 19 weeks of living with the construction workers and over two years since we bought the house. It's a christmas miracle.

This makes me happy

• cpartist
    7 years ago

That would make me happy too, Greenwood.

• housequester
    7 years ago

To finish the week, they poured concrete into the basement ICF forms. So, the foundation is finished, other than them having to do a bit of clean up & remove the bracing wood from the forms on Monday. Next week, they plan to start framing.

• Andy
    7 years ago

Passed U&O, given the keys. First thing I did was replace the AFCI breaker feeding the fridge with a standard breaker. The breaker had already popped once, and I was informed by our job supervisor this is a common problem the last few years since the code changed to require AFCI breakers, and that most people just swap out the AFCI breaker feeding their fridge.

• lakeerieamber
    7 years ago

We have the start of drywall! It finally warmed up enough for them to get the blown in insulation done the past couple of days and they started drywall today. It was dark when I took the pic so excuse the photo quality.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Looking good Amber.

• keywest230
    7 years ago

Drywall in the great room!

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Drywall in the great room!

Showoff! ;) LOL

• greenwoodframed
    7 years ago

Merry Christmas, from my puppy in the window to you! Hope everyone is having a joyous and relaxing day!!

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and Happy all the Holidays celebrated this time of year

• User
    7 years ago

Greenwoodframed... ADORABLE DOG!

• lakeerieamber
    7 years ago

What an adorable photo, greenwood! Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! My husband went over to the house on Christmas Eve afternoon and was surprised to see the drywall crew had been there than morning and did quite a bit more hanging of drywall on the first floor. Haven't been over there today yet to see if they are back again today.

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago

I have a few more photos for later, but hey, now the Electrician has been by!

There's been some progress. I'm not holding my breath for more as things seem to be happening in fits and starts but hey:

Lights! Camera! Action! There are two of these in this hallway, and I love their Tiffany-style ambiance. One of my happier purchases!

Here is one of them before the electrician connected in Reddy Kilowatt. Wall and ceiling color: SW Canvas Tan. I LOVE these lights!

This is the light for the guest bedroom; the office will have the same light. Due to the light being on, you can't see all the detail in the photo. This light takes three bulbs, and the fixture is frosted underneath, so quests aren't looking up into something over-bright.

When I left my build, the electrician was installing my ceiling fan/light, so no pictures until January of that.

Other notes: the stairs down to the basement are completed, and now have hand rails. The septic is ported out of the house and into that holding tank depicted awhile back. I took lots of pictures but not showing any at the present time - of where all those septic lines go out, around and about.

The trash and recycling bins are in and are ready. I got the idea from my brother, who has a pull out for these things. Yes, the oven opens up there to the right, but there's no reason both areas need to be operative at the same time. That's the regular sink to the left - I will have a composting bin under the prep sink which is over in the prep area of the kitchen. (During the building process, I did have to keep kicking the GC to keep the SINK away from the open oven door - I did win.)

As for the master bathroom:

Overview. There is a window out to the right upon entering. Immediately to the left of the shower is a shelving system that can be screwed out and removed if the plumbing needs maintenance. (The faucets/shower hoses will be to the left, and will be adjustable.)

Master shower details. Grout was being applied but hadn't set at my last visit.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Artemis, each time you post it's better and better. It's really looking like a wonderful log house now.

• lakeerieamber
    7 years ago

Great lighting choices, Artemis!

• mnphotog
    7 years ago

we just closed on our lot 2 weeks ago, I am sure I will have a lot of questions and hopefully build updates soon!

• cslaughter27
    7 years ago

taller forms for the foundation set up today.

very excited for everything that 2017 will bring!

• mojomom
    7 years ago

Yeah!!! I've been posting pic the last few months that my son-in-law has been taking to keep us updated, but I haven't been able to see the house in person since the end of September until today. It's not completely under roof yet, but should be by the time we leave, and it is far enough to really get the feel for the flow and room sizes. Love it! And a wonderful sight line from the front door down a wide hall through the greatroom to the creek and trees.

it was too cold to get pics, but I'll get some over the weekend for a big January update.

• Les Raff
    7 years ago

Three weeks to move in day. Here is one of our custom cabinets. Follow the link for lots more info.

http://www.chicagonow.com/downsize-maybe/2016/12/whats-different-about-this-picture-changes-a-year-have-brought/

• mojomom
    7 years ago

Ok, we dropped by the house with our fabulous interior designer today. Pic from the front door of our side of the duplex:

And from the back of the greatroom looking towards the front door:

Will update next week with more exterior photos. They are still flying in the trusses and the crane messes up the exterior shots.

• mofireman
    7 years ago

Quite a few things have been done since I posted earlier this month. Carpet has been installed on the second floor. Electricians have installed the light fixtures and ceiling fans throughout. Trim guys returned and installed towel bars, mirrors, and TP holders. I installed the A/V rack in the A/V closet in preparation for our equipment to be installed. Appliances (minus the beverage cooler) have been installed. Stone has been installed around our gas fireplace. Our stand alone tub in the master bath has finally been installed. The back splash in the kitchen has been installed and grout applied. The plumbers returned and installed faucets, toilets, and the garbage disposal. Here are a few updated pics...

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Mofire, it's looking really beautiful. Love the backsplash tile and your choice of grout is perfect.

• cslaughter27
    7 years ago

AAAAANNNDD foundation poured. all the patio footings are done. we are expecting a cold week next week so I think there might be a little stand still. Hopefully there will be something worth posting a couple weeks into January.

I am super excited that in a couple months it will actually be time to order hard surface materials. I've been stockpiling samples in my office since we decided to build last June. I'm about to order a few more pieces of back splash tile to decide from and some master shower tile :D :D

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Third time seems to be the charm. Meaning our builder is on mason number 3.

#1 we were told went to Vegas and when he came back insisted he wouldn't do the job for less than 3x what he originally bid it for.

#2 was hired. Someone who had been used by the builder in the past, and had done good work. The mason starts and he's off loading cement block from his truck and it's barely enough to finish one side of the foundation. Then he cuts corners, including having new people laying the block, putting in rebar that is too short and making the joints too wide.

Our builder fired him on the spot. So then we had to wait for the guy our builder wanted even before #1, until he finished the job he was working on. We were put ahead of another job our builder was going to have #3 start on.

#3 had to resurvey the property, and found out some of the lines were skewed and one place #2 started to lay block was on the wrong side of the line.

But, this week as #3 promised us, he had fixed the mistakes, and yesterday had the cement truck there to pour where #2 screwed up and missed. And today pallet's of concrete block were delivered along with the sand. #3 told me that he would definitely be starting sometime on Monday to lay the stem wall.

Frankly, I never thought I'd be so excited to see cement block.

It's only now 2 months since we got permits. However let's not even talk about the 4 1/2 months it took to get permits, so we are now at least 4 months behind where we should be.

• housequester
    7 years ago

Cpartist, I'm glad to see you've had a little progress. I've been wondering how your concrete block was going. What a nightmare, but I'm glad you seem to have a good one, finally!

• DLM2000-GW
    7 years ago

cp I'll see you and raise you and with only one element of our build - there have been hiccups (that's my euphemism for sh*t hitting the fan) at just about every turn.

Our flooring was delivered a couple of weeks ago , 4" white oak, select, 4' - 10' lengths. Only it wasn't. They got the 4" white oak part ok and it was probably select but there wasn't a board we could see in any bundle over 6' and a ton of shorties, 1', 2', 3' - some is to be expected and is needed for end runs and closets but not a large percentage. Our installer did the ordering and was there to receive it but didn't say anything until it was all off loaded and spread through the house. Once DH saw it he told him to take it back and that's when the song and dance started - No one has longer lengths, I called all the mills around here, it's going to be beautiful once it's down and finished blah blah blah. No, take it back, not what we ordered and we're not paying premium for long lengths and then taking this. More song and dance - but the crew has already left, I'll have to see when they can come back, they'll charge me a restocking fee, I'm just a small business owner blah blah blah. After they picked it up the installer asks ME to pay the restocking fee! I said no, I'd CONSIDER splitting it with him after we get the right flooring, installed and finished. Meantime, DH called his old flooring supplier in Chicago, they sent us pics of the bundles showing the lengths, we placed the order and it would get freighted to us in 3 - 4 days which sets us back for the kitchen install but should be ok. I ask installer if his schedule will be clear for install at that time and he says he'd rather not do it now. OK, jerk, good bye. Then I get an email from him with a copy of the bill for restocking fee saying he'd appreciate me paying any portion of it!!! Seriously? Then my portion is 0.0%

And that's only part of the story - it just keeps going and going....

Welcome to the world of building. Have I mentioned I'm never doing this again? The house is going to be fabulous but it is coming at such a huge cost to my DH - if I'd known then what I know now.....

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Yes I'm starting to feel the same way DLM. I'm sorry to hear about your latest hiccup. Call me anytime to commiserate.

• mofireman
    7 years ago

rmverb: What a beautiful kitchen! Looks like my "dream kitchen"...

• Pinebaron
    7 years ago

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year and that the New Year hastens progress while discarding 2016 road blocks, making your dreams come true.

• suser123
    7 years ago

Am excited for everyone and love seeing the progress of others. Happy New Year!