Software
Houzz Logo Print
meyerwedding14

To paint or not to paint?

9 years ago


We just purchased a very old home loaded with original wood trim. It makes the house really dark and I would prefer them be white...my entire family thinks I'm "ruining" the wood. Is this a crime? I think the white will modernize and brighten the space and the wall will be BM - Ewing Blue. Thoughts?

Comments (29)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I am with your family and it isn’t because I have an aversion to painting darker trim. There are tons of homes which could use white woodwork. Your home is special. Craftsman or Prairie…not sure, I would leave it as is and spend my time and money on the interior design.


    Not loving the brick, although it is probably original…I might ask a professional if you can tile over the brick, using a Period tile.


    Love your home. It is a gem!

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks for the comments, much appreciated! Could I do white trim in the living space but them leave the original in the dining room...or that may look totally weird.

  • 9 years ago

    I am not a fan of wood and I especially don't like oak. BUT, your trim is special and even I would never dream of painting it.

  • 9 years ago

    Don't even THINK about it. You would probably been happier buying a much newer house. My taste is very contemporary, however, I wouldn't touch that woodwork. I would find ways to lighten it via furniture, wall paint, lighting, etc.

  • 9 years ago

    It would be a crime. More importantly, it would probably reduce the resale value of your home.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Honestly? Just leave the trim as is throughout the house. It is what makes your home special and valuable.

    There is always a lot of noise about painting dark woodwork, and I am one of those making noise. Pay no attention, because it does not apply to you. At some point I would repaint the walls AND the ceiling. It looks from your photos that the ceiling paint may be just that…ceiling paint. It looks grayish.

    If your home were mine, I would consider replacing the fan with something like this, hung at the appropriate height.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    The wood is a dominant look and I'm also a lifelong fan of the happiness white brings. But I understand the dilemma here... If you do not paint your wood- bring white in with decorating- such as light fixtures (white/silver) and furnishings. Keep everything else light and bright and don't feel like you have to fit into a craftsman mold. Good luck- it's a cute place...

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Noooo.....don't even entertain painting that! If you can't appreciate it, please sell it to someone who does. I think you can modernize it and brighten it up with furnishings, although a craftsman will never feel that modern, even with painted white trim. I love painted white trim, too, but not here. Leave the paint for cheap MDF trim and/or builder grade 80s wood trim. ;-)

    Get some lighter rugs, furniture, whatever....I think you will appreciate the warmth, character, and quality of the wood trim once it all comes together.

  • 9 years ago

    Since you're the one paying the mortgage, if you want to paint it white, paint it white. This home is yours, not only to live in, but hopefully to ENJOY!!

  • 9 years ago
    It's your house, but since you asked, don't paint. Changing the brick fireplace , updating the lighting, and good furniture & accessory choices will go a long way. Do you have exterior pics? I love pictures of older homes!
  • 9 years ago
    I myself wouldn't paint trim, embrace it, gray wisp is beautiful with wood, it's has blue green undertones. When you get your furniture, window treatments up, I'm sure you will love it and think of the cost and hard work you will be saving
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Yes this would be a crime as your trim looks very unique! I have never seen trim like that and is very awesome! Painting them would not look as good as you think when done. Your fixtures and furnishings can brighten the room. Paint the walls a nice color. If you do paint the trim it will degrade the value for that era type of home that a lot of people love.

    Ken


  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    You have just gotten a bit of a lesson on the architectural significance of what you have purchased. You have a special home - people can't afford real wood trim anymore, so yes, do not paint, strip any early primer that you have done. This is a house that needs a color story that works with wood trim. You can do something dramatic in the dining space - but blues wont' really ever be great with this wood. It tends to make the wood look more orange and the blue feel cold.

    For a modern look in a period house, add black and warm white and wood. Go monochromatic for most of your major pieces - charcoal to black, winter whites / duck. If you need to spike that up - add some shots of pink to raspberry, or mustard yellow or any shade of green (just one). You can be dramatic since you have so much natural light in the dining room and go to a mid tone on those walls .. even charcoal if you want to add drama and modernity - add great black and white art posters framed large on top. . .

    My Houzz: Garage Sale Meets Glam in Ohio · More Info


    Glamorous Four Square · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    I'm a complete nut for white woodwork but yours truly is too beautiful to paint. I believe that with a different paint color, furniture and an area rug I think you can accomplish a look that you will love.
  • 9 years ago

    that's a dilemma alright. very unique trim. much thicker than I've seen in Arts and Crafts style homes. Know that oak used back then is very, very good wood. You can't find oak like that anymore.

    So, a few options.

    1. save it and live with it.

    2. seal it w/a very good wood sealer and paint over it. that way down the road if someone wants to strip it, it will make it much easier to do without having to sand.

    3. photo all of it. remove it, mark it and catalog it and store it in the attic or basement (properly). Replace w/the white modern trim/baseboard you like. That way the next person can reuse it if they want and that wood won't be damaged. yes, this is the most work and the most costly. But you get the both worlds.

  • 9 years ago

    Pros for painting:

    1. You like white.

    2. It's your house.

    Cons:

    1. It's lovely the way it is.

    2. No cost to leave it alone.

    3. No work to leave it alone.

    4. Original and historic.

    5. They just don't make it like that any more.

    6. Improved resale value.

    6. Your family thinks painting would "ruin" it.

    7. The path of least resistance.

    8. No going back if you change your mind.



  • 9 years ago
    The baseboards and door casings could remain as they are. As the window casings are particularly heavy, I wouldn't even draw attention to them with white. I simply use the enamel version of the wall colour.
  • 9 years ago
    If not a crime, at least probation for the mere thought.
  • 9 years ago

    Oh what a beautiful house! I would suggest possibly changing out the sconces, the overhead fan, adding a light area rug, and making the rooms bright with furniture in lieu of painting over the warm, inviting wood. At least try that first perhaps and then, if white trim still beckons, you'll know that this is what should be done.

  • 9 years ago

    I watch the show Restored with Brett Waterman. I am linking it here. You have a charming home with details you can't find in newer homes. Perhaps this website and t.v. show will inspire you (he's constantly removing white paint that the former owners painted over your kind of trim :)!):

    http://www.diynetwork.com/shows/restored

  • 9 years ago
    I always love white. I have painted all my trims white. BUT I would not do it in your home. The trim is way too beautiful! I hope everyone around here convinced you by now...
  • 9 years ago
    Here is an article that may help you choose a paint color for your walls.

    http://www.kylieminteriors.ca/the-best-paint-colours-to-go-with-oak-wood/

    The white on your walls is a cool white that accentuates the trim. The right warm neutral will help neutralize the trim.
  • 9 years ago
    Here's a photo.
  • 9 years ago

    Awesome thanks Carole

  • 9 years ago

    I agree about not painting the trim! You have a gorgeous home. I also cannot see blue for your walls. I would think that it will be too drab....almost as bad as gray would be.

  • 9 years ago

    Please do not paint the trim, the reason most people buy a house like that is for details like the original wood trim. If i could have afforded a home like that I would have loved the woodwork that hadn't been tainted by paint. Sadly my home will be newer so white trim it is. Do some studying and see what kinds of colors are typical to arts and crafts houses and see if any resonate with you for the wall colors. Good luck and know that many would love to have that trim!


  • 9 years ago

    Here's the Houzz go-to link on getting just the right white paint and other colors for wood-trimmed rooms.

    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/11-terrific-paint-color-matches-for-wood-details-stsetivw-vs~9025200

    Environmentally Friendly · More Info

    You're judging the darkness of the wood without having the lightness of modern sofa, rug, curtains, and other visually light pieces. You will have lots of dark/light contrast if you keep the furnishing visually light--not too many bulky dark pieces; furniture on legs, simple lines. Scroll through the article and you can see how it's done. Also check out Pinterest usually the search tags: "wood trimmed living rooms" etc.

  • 9 years ago

    Just adding some examples of rooms with light rugs, curtains, lampshades, furniture and many modern elements.


    Quixote · More Info