Software
Houzz Logo Print
bostongal11

Walk-in/step-in corner pantry HELP

9 years ago

Anyone have a walk-in or step-in corner pantry in their kitchen? What are the dimensions and do you love it? Hate it? Does it look integrated with the cabinetry? We are considering one (see attached and I love the idea but want to make sure it looks and feels a part of the rest of the kitchen, and is as practical as it seems.

Comments (17)

  • 9 years ago
    I do not have one, but my grandparents did- it not only housed food and off the counter appliances but also a small step-stool that she sat on during long prep times and her mops, brooms etc. It worked for her because those items were out of sight but just a step away from where she needed it. It was not as large of a kitchen as your plans but made her working space efficient and tidy.
  • 9 years ago
    My mother had a corner pantry and it was fantastic storage. Not sure if your issue is that yours is in the corner or having one at all.
    I would definitely opt for a closet or pantry in the kitchen over more cabinets and counter.
  • 9 years ago
    Yes, we had one in our last home. I liked it. We are a family of 3, though. Make sure it's big enough for the size of your family.
  • 9 years ago
    Also be sure to have small shelves for cans and higher shelves for boxes and other storage. Or even some adjustable shelves.
    Have some vertical space for brooms or mops, or a vacuum, if you need to store them here.
  • 9 years ago

    Love mine and I painted the door same as cabinets

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I like pull outs much better than walk-ins .IMO mops and brooms belong away from food .

  • 9 years ago

    Yeah, I'd rather have counter and cabinets round the corner, and then engulf the fridge in pull-out pantry cabinets. I think closets like that tend to become a mess pretty quickly, and they're less efficient because of the empty space in the middle. Pantry cabinets are pretty much nonstop utility, and you can always design them with some large space at the bottom if you need to fit in appliances or whatever. One trick is to use baskets to organize groups of similar things, so it's easy to get a lot of organization into a small space, multiplying the power of these spaces.


    NARI Tour of Remodeled Homes 2014 · More Info




    Duplex near Harvard Square, Cambridge Massachusetts · More Info

    Built-in Storage · More Info
    Even if you like things in shallow rows along the wall, you can use pullouts that essentially give you 5-6 wall-equivalents where the pantry would only have three.


    Contemporary Kitchen Remodel Pantry Pull-outs · More Info
    But kitchens are very personal spaces, and you know what will make you feel like your cooking (and storage) style are supported.

    Here are some discussions of pros and cons:

    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/kitchen-confidential-walk-in-pantries-vs-cabinet-pantries-stsetivw-vs~72629650

    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/photo-flip-80-pretty-and-practical-pantries-stsetivw-vs~51805181

  • 9 years ago

    We have one, but it is not in the middle of the kitchen, so it stands alone, off to one side. It holds everything from the vacuum cleaner and broom to reusable shopping bags, coolers, vases, potatoes etc.

  • 9 years ago

    I really hate the idea of pullouts, so I think this is a good solution for us. It will be counter-depth so hopefully won't be too large. With a 48in fridge and stove, I think it will be balanced. (or at least I hope!)

  • 9 years ago
    I prefer a walk-in pantry any day over pullouts. I keep my mops and brooms at one end away from the food, and everything else is neat and organized. I think it's much easier to keep neat than cabinets because I used to have to stack things more in the cabinets and it was a pain to find things sometimes. My pantry is one of my favorite things about my kitchen. It's not a corner pantry, however, it's off to one side.
  • 9 years ago
    I love walk in pantries! We are a larger family (5 teenagers) and it's the only way I can easily shop in bulk. My last house had a huge walk in pantry and I was able to utilize it very well. Current house originally didn't have one, we moved a wall and utilized an undersized coat closet on the wall behind it. It's not a large pantry, it's just a step in really, but our ceilings are fairly tall and we used that height to our advantage. In this pantry I went with steel wire shelves for what I consider a very practical reason... when I'm standing in my little pantry I can quickly look up through the wire shelves and take a quick inventory before I go grocery shopping. It helps me find and keep track of everything much easier. I do use some plastic bins to corral some items and I can easily take those down to check inventory in them as well. I keep a step stool right inside the pantry door and I use it often. I made sure to get one I can operate with one hand since I use it so often, though I do store most items on easy to reach shelves, and some bulk items in food grade storage buckets on the floor.
  • 9 years ago
    Pictures of my pantry. My kitchen cabinetry isn't finished yet... hubby is building them, I don't have doors on cabinets yet so above fridge won't stay exposed forever. ;) The pantry was our stage 1 of our kitchen remodel. That wall my pantry door is on was originally an angled wall with a small cabinet pantry there and a coat closet in the small hallway behind it. We couldn't see a good reason for so much extra space in the hallway to the left of the pantry, so we squared the wall up added our step in pantry. This pantry made my life a TON easier!!!
    Julie B thanked skmom
  • 8 years ago

    We had a corner pantry in our last house and it was great. Plenty of room and I was always able to see everything because of the space.

  • 8 years ago

    We are doing a pantry in out new kitchen. I despise the pull outs after over ten years with them. I am so excited to have a simple and functional solution for food storage.

  • 8 years ago

    I have a corner walk in pantry that I have used for 10 years and want to replace it with counter depth cabinets for food storage. It seems to be inefficient use of space and is a mess. I do not keep cleaning products in mine. I have a separate closet for those supplies.

    What did you not like about pull outs?

  • 5 years ago

    @Julie B did you end up moving ahead with the corner pantry? I'd love to see pics of the final result either way. Your layout is similar to mine. Thx