Software
Houzz Logo Print
quequeg7

Help with Accent Chairs

9 years ago

I am thinking about buying two of these accent chairs from Macy's to
go with my new sofa. They will be used in a living room with a cream
colored rug and a little lighter cream walls with white trim. (photo below). I am thinking of putting the two arm chairs and a table in front of the window and the couch on the wall. The rest of the room is mostly open to other areas and used for passing through to the stair case or hallway.

If you think these accents don't work we are very open and appreciative of any suggestions of what would go with the couch.(already bought)


I posted this in the wrong forum before and couldn't delete it. sorry about that.




Comments (23)

  • 9 years ago

    They do go nicely together. I think you could use a little added color given the sofa, walls, carpet and chairs are all beige in tone.

    quequeg7 thanked amykath
  • 9 years ago

    I like it but also would add some darker accents, plants, and perhaps a third color.

    quequeg7 thanked nosoccermom
  • 9 years ago

    I like the chairs with the sofa, and agree you need more color. Have you considered painting the walls another color? The current color looks a little yellow on my monitor. Maybe something more dramatic to tie in the deeper grayed-brown in the chair? BM Alexandria Beige comes to mind as an example.

    And then a third color of choice for accent.

    quequeg7 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • 9 years ago

    Those chairs are really nice with your sofa and I especially like that they are a little unusual. They look comfy, too.

    quequeg7 thanked olychick
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I'm guessing those chairs would give a real but relatively calm "edge" to the decor, enough contrast in them to add a contrasting element without leaping out of a composition.

    quequeg7 thanked hamamelis
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks everyone for the reassuring opinions. The chairs are very comfy but I was concerned that they may be a bit too strong with all that dark wood and black and white pattern. The walls are a bit yellow but I like that. Supposedly a calming and cheerful color. I have a nice painting that will go above the sofa which has some blue and orange in it. Will probably get some colorful pillows to play off of that. The rug idea is interesting and will think about it some more.


    I am currently looking for some shades for the windows. Any ideas on types and colors?

  • 9 years ago

    The painting sounds nice. For the windows, all your lines are very controlled, very typical of this era. My suggestion is to break out of the current box and put up curtains. Let their folds echo the grace of the chair arms; and if they, or under curtains flutter now and then in the breeze, so much the better. I'm used to this suggestion being a discard, though. :)

    quequeg7 thanked hamamelis
  • 9 years ago

    I am having second thoughts about the above arm chairs. What does everyone think about two of these?

  • 9 years ago

    I like the first ones better.


    quequeg7 thanked dancingqueengw
  • 9 years ago

    I, too, like the first ones better. The pattern on the new ones makes me want to grab a pen and try to solve the maze. :-)


  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    yeah the temptation to break out a pen may be too much. Any thoughts on this one?

  • 9 years ago

    I like this last chair.

    quequeg7 thanked k9arlene
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    The walls, carpet, sofa are all solid colors and pretty monochromatic, the first chair brings in a much needed pop of color and pattern.

    quequeg7 thanked mdln
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I like the green, not sure the studs (is that what they are called on chairs?) are right for this chair.

    What is your hesitation about the first chairs? I think they are very interesting, different without being weird and don't look much like mass produced furniture.

    quequeg7 thanked Olychick
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    My wife and I keep going back and forth on the first chairs. Sometimes we like the bold design and other times its too much. The beige on beige on beige may be too hmm beige. Anyone have any other suggestions. I am hopeful we can still find something that we love w/o any hesitation.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    quequeg7 thanked mdln
  • 9 years ago

    How about you look at living rooms that have off white sofas and see what kind of look appeals to you?

    quequeg7 thanked nosoccermom
  • 9 years ago

    I would personally choose chairs that are softly upholstered on the arms, just for the sake of comfort. I like the first chair but I'm not sure I'd want to linger in it.

    quequeg7 thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 9 years ago

    I really, really like those first chairs! I think they would add a bit of wow to your room, but not be too much.

    quequeg7 thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • 9 years ago

    Do the first chairs come with any other upholstery options? Maybe you'd find something you like that's not quite as neutral. I do think they are a little "wow" as cyn says and with accessories and art you can make the room more vibrant colorwise, if you want.

    quequeg7 thanked Olychick
  • 9 years ago

    Still looking for club chairs but I found a great deal on a dining room arm chair that I was thinking of using as an occasional chair in the living room. Is this a faux pas like wearing white after labor day ?

  • 9 years ago

    I still really like the first ones, but I do think this most recent one is very attractive and could work really nicely. I will let the experts chime in - but for me I think this could work. You could also easily choose the fabric to go with whatever color you decided to bring in.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths