Software
Houzz Logo Print
sloane_feldman

What color for bedroom walls to match this bedding?

9 years ago

Here is the bedding I picked out. what color should I paint the walls? Does BM Daydreamer works?

Furniture is a distressed off white with yellow tone (bed & dresser color very similar to Navajo White).

Comments (39)

  • 9 years ago

    Is Daydreamer the blue? Looks like a good match if that's what you want.

  • 9 years ago

    Yes!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I would go to about add 50% white to that blue. Blues are quite intense, and with that same color in the bedding, it might be too much. I see a slight splash of a lavender in your bedding I believe. That might be a great direction to take. SW 6820 Inspired Lilac is a soft lilac/lavender shade that is soothing and would work well with the blue and the Navaho White too. I would experiment with a few alternative colors to the blue. I wouldn't add more off white. That would be boring. Is this for the Master Bedroom? Or a guest room?

  • 9 years ago

    I spy a bit of purple or pink or lavender on pillow on left upper corner.

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Great Neighborhood Homes · More Info
    Here is an interesting combination of lavender, purples, off whites, with aqua accents and bathroom looks soft green. I hesitate to suggest combinations without knowing whose bedroom this is. But that blue while pretty will be hard to work with unless you go off white.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    But! The comforter has mostly pure white, so I'm not sure this works with your off whites to a warm white??

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I'll sleep on it, and you can give me more information on what bedroom this is for in your home.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Thanks! It is for the Master Bedroom so not sure lavender wall will fly.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    @jansgirls - yes it is daydreamer

  • 9 years ago
    I think blue walls like the paint shown are going to be too blue, especially combined with the bedding. How do you feel about a soft, pale gray? BM Moonshine is a really beautiful gray with pale blue undertones. It works with both brighter and creamier whites.
  • 9 years ago

    Check some light gray colors with blue undertone,,,like BM Bunny Gray or BM Silver Gray

  • 9 years ago
    Printesta
    I agree with your comment.
  • 9 years ago

    No more blue, go to a good paint store and ask for a true taupe, no undertones, use a couple of shades, buy samples and paint computer paper tape to wall and look at it at 10,2 and 4 see what u think. Matchy matchy isn't the answer. If u have base board, paint it in semi gloss with a deeper color of the two.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    OK, Master bedroom, and guys are afraid of color. Ha-ha! I hate to say this, but the bedding is an unusual choice for a master bedroom. I have to be honest here. It looks more like something for a teen room? So, you have lots of choices here. If you truly love the bedding, keep it, if not, I would go with a plainer choice for a coverlet/duvet and layer colors in with pillows and throws or foot blankets, and bed skirts. Then the bed will work nicely with whatever wall color you want. @Maureen's photo above is what I am talking about. Only that is a more green color, but the concept is on target for me. It will also allow you to change say pillows for "variety" once in a while without revisiting the whole bed arrangement. You will need to test several colors with good sample boards. The best way to do a sample board is get pre-primed boards from Sherwin Williams and paint them with the sample paints (marking each board with specific color on the board). Paint the boards all the way to the edge on 3 sides and leave one side with a white 1" or so boarder. You can't use computer paper and get any true idea of color. That will not work, not does painting spots on your existing wall work. The existing wall will demand attention visually and distort the affect of the sample. I have done this a thousand times so I know all the wrong ways! I've done them! The method I've described is the best one and the one people who have done them a thousand times wrong eventually adopt! Yes, it costs a bit to do it this way, but if you do a room in a color that doesn't work? What does it cost to fix that?!

    So, first make a firm decision on your bedding. If you are firm with what you have, then do the walls neutral. There is too much action in that bedding to do much else.

  • 9 years ago

    one more thing..pick something neutral as well so it goes with pretty much anything. I usually change the covers of the duvet or the coverlet, so for me, it needs to be something neutral. Try not to lock a color that only goes with a certain set of sheets

  • 9 years ago
    You have all been so helpful... emergency question painters need to order today... if I do chantilly lace for trim do I also use that for ceilings?
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    If you have a large room, do decorator's white on the ceiling, if small do all the trim and walls and ceiling in the same color, just change the "finishes". Use flat on the ceiling and walls and semi gloss on baseboards and any crown molding trim. What is size of your room. Recognize that Chantilly Lace has yellow undertones. That bedding has no warm colors.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    This is B.M Silvery Blue…it has more green in it and picks up the lightest colors in the bedding.

    Add some black for contrast.

    Tracy Upholstered Fabric Wood Nightstand, Black · More Info


    Your blue may be too strong for an entire bedroom.

  • 9 years ago
    Clearly I should I didn't miss my calling being a decorator and my husband thanks all of you... after seeing Maureen picture and reading all your comments I am changing direction... new paint color is going to be BM Bird Egg - thinking will look great with my Navajo White colored bed & dressers. Will get white bedding to go with it!!!! Thank you everyone for your help.
  • 9 years ago

    That is a pretty color. Try it on a white cardboard and see how it looks in your room. Light is really tricky when it comes to color.
    Here is a living room with that color and lots of natural light. It looks really pretty with soft whites


    Pinecrest Beauty · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    I have tons of natural light in the room - feeling really great about it.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    That is a good decision, but you better do a sample board. That is a lot of blue! It will be twice as strong on the walls. But, it is your call. If you decide to go ahead without sample board, I would do the wall behind the bed first. Then, it can be an "accent wall" just in case you have to lighten up the color for the rest of the walls.

  • 9 years ago

    Just so you know what you are getting into. Here is the bedding with Bird's Egg on the left and Daydreamer on the right.

  • 9 years ago

    I don't like the one on the left as well. That is a lot of blue.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I would go with a cool white rather than Navajo which is fairly dark and has a yellow undertone. Blue seems like it would be too much blue.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    So funny that you actually are going to paint a room with colors of your bedding :) But maybe you will like those inspirations:

    http://bit.ly/In_the_open

    http://bit.ly/oasis_of_peace

    http://bit.ly/MAGIC_STONE

    You can make one accent wall and then use light blues.

    Aleksandra from Pixers Team

  • 9 years ago
    Pixels - love your inspiration walls.
  • 9 years ago
    People kept telling me to pick bedding first and then pick paint color. After reading all the comments and loving Maureen's inspiration picture, painting to relook with the birds egg to go with my Navajo White color bed and getting pure white bedding to go with it (not the bedding I originally posted - although I still like it - but my husband didn't anyway)!
  • 9 years ago

    Sounds like you have a plan. I hope you share before and after pictures.

  • 9 years ago
    Next time, paint your walls with the colors you both love, that goes best with your "permanent"furniture (bed, dressers, etc) then get the bedding. Bedding gets changed more often than paint.
  • 9 years ago
    That is what I am doing... painting Birds Egg then will get bedding. Hope I like the Birds Egg. Can't get in my house to test so hoping for the best. Will share after pictures.
  • 9 years ago
    Glad you decided to go that route. So many people will advise you to find a rug or piece of art or whatever and pull a color from it for your walls. I think that's crazy. Your wall color is the most dominant color element in your room (even if it's neutral) and has a huge impact of what your eye perceives and how you feel about the room. I always approach a room by deciding what I want to be felt or experienced in it, then picking a paint color I really love that can help create that feeling, and then choose accessories that work with my wall color. Since I started using that approach my satisfaction with my decor choices has dramatically increased.

    The only thing I would say is that picking a color from a chip (or worse, a computer monitor) is really risky. The way the color appears on the wall absolutely will be different. So if there's any way you can make up a large sample to test in the room first you absolutely should. If you're going to do that, post on here first and people can tell you the method to follow for the sample to be most effective. If not, cross your fingers :) - hopefully you will love it as much on the walls as you do on the chip.

    Good luck - post pictures!!
  • 9 years ago
    Maureen, I love the colors of the bedding and mirror in the picture that you posted. Could you give me the source of the linens and the color of the paint on the mirror?
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Sorry, I just found the picture on Pinterest, but both would be relatively easy to find. Paint on the mirror is probably chalk paint and Annie Sloan is a good brand (link below) and they have a color called Duck Egg blue that looks very similar, but hold off until you purchase your linens. If you Google Duck Egg Blue bedding, you'll see lots of images/ideas. Amazon is a good resource as it offers so many choices..just read people's comments on the quality. HomeSense in Canada has good quality at decent prices and in the U.S. Marshalls is the equivalent. Google as well. Have fun and good luck. It's a beautiful, serene look, especially paired with white or cream.


    https://www.anniesloan.com/annie-sloan-products/paints/chalk-paint.html?gclid=CITRg6C_n9QCFQaVGwodajsAyA

  • 9 years ago
    Room is looking great! So excited. Love the color. Thanks for everyone's help. Will post again once furniture is back in...
  • 9 years ago

    I like it.

  • 9 years ago

    Beautiful!

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Sloane Feldman Tiffany Blue! I love it! ;)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert