Software
Houzz Logo Print
toulan

Rug choice

9 years ago

What kind of carpet would work best with this furniture? Im not looking for a
classic vibe but more like an over all contemporary look. Please feel free to share other options

Comments (16)

  • 9 years ago

    I think "an over all contemporary look" is going to be hard to pull off with that furniture. I would guess that a solid color rug will come the closest to toning down the traditional look of the furniture.

    toulan thanked czarinalex
  • 9 years ago

    I love your second rug option, but agree that it still might read traditional with your fabulous furniture......

    Otoh, we have antique sofas paired with a very traditional early 20th century Persian rug - but in wacky colours, lol - and have accessorised with bright contemporary cushions, colourful curtains and a mix of our collected Art Nouveau decorative objects, art etc and a mix of old/new lamps and side tables.

    Our look is admittedly more eclectic, but it works.....at least we think it does ;)



    toulan thanked raphaellathespanishwaterdog
  • 9 years ago

    Maybe a dark color, rather than light. Thinking the contrast would make for a more contemporary feel. The furniture is ornate & a patterned or highly textured rug might be too much...

    toulan thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9/10
  • 9 years ago

    I really like the pieces justerrilynn put together. Before I saw them, I was having trouble visualizing how you would ever get your pieces to look contemporary...but I love the idea of introducing leopard!

    toulan thanked macumber
  • 9 years ago

    OMG justerrilynn, you have outdone yourself! Brilliant save for introducing a contemporary and whimsical element to this setting.

  • 9 years ago

    I agree! justerrilynn you nailed it! Out of the rugs you posted OP I really like the first and second one, but the second would probably be easier to keep clean.

  • 9 years ago

    Wow justerrilynn you just wowed us all. Brilliant.

  • 9 years ago

    What caught my eye was a staircase without any railing at all ... do you have plans for one? A fall on a tile/stone staircase will be pretty hard on the body.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    When I read you wanted to bring this room in the direction of contemporary, I thought it would be impossible, but justerrilyn showed some brilliant possibilities. I also really like the 2nd rug you posted.

    The one piece of furniture that most keeps it from a possible contemporary vibe is the coffee table. I'd either replace it or I'd be painting those legs some wild color to make it a more eclectic look. Add some brightly colored, contrasting pillows to the upholstered pieces.

    Purple might be too matchy, but a bright dark purple might work....not this blue, but just to show a similar table for the look I'm suggesting:

    I'd love this red with the purple and the 2nd rug you showed:

    Even a charcoal might work:I

    I'd suggest searching for raphaellathespanishwaterdog 's posts and take a look at her amazingly wonderful eclectic home for some inspiration.

    toulan thanked Olychick
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I think once everything is picked out the table will not stand out but blend more. Also, I think the direction of the room will show through on what the op picks for the coffee tabletop. There are some cool surreal sculptures and dome mixed media art works but I realize art is very personal and this would not be for all. it does add the bit of fine art whimsy though to swing it all into an eclectic room.





    I love these on 1st Dibs and think they would look nice somewhere. Pricey though.

    toulan thanked just_terrilynn
  • 9 years ago

    Thank u so much for taking the time. Your suggestions are very creative!

  • 9 years ago

    Toulan, is that beautiful home yours? Very nice!

  • 9 years ago

    Yes Justerrilynn. Thank you so much for your help!

  • 9 years ago

    Regardless if you use any of our ideas...I hope you post updates on your interiors. Your home looks fantastic.

  • 9 years ago

    justerrilynn,

    Where did you find those glass domes with bases?