Software
Houzz Logo Print
amber_d22

Ay Yi Yi.. the Fireplace?!?

9 years ago

Recently bought a house and posted about our formal trim which I am pretty sure we are keeping for now.. (thanks for all the advice!!) but that brings me to our next delima.


the fireplace. Where to start? It's flat against the wall, is attached to a slanted 17 foot ceiling, and the mantle and surround as is is one heck of a mess.


so what to do? i originally thought to get a light colored stacked stone and bring to the ceiling, but it maybe too rustic for the space?!?? I could also do a beautiful wood surround, but I think it would need to match that formal trim in the windows and that will be hard to do Without recreating the mess you see below. So I'm lost and my husband's tired of hearing me fret about it.


Any thoughts? stacked too rustic? Bring fireplace surround to ceiling (which would emphasize the slant) or keep it low to minimize the slanted ceiling? We have some budget.. just went to make the right decision. Any and all suggestions appreciated. I lean transitional in furniture and styling.


Fireplace and trim, in its glory!

A few things I've considered:


light stone (don't love the mantle here)


cast stone Simple and clean

Mix of stone and wood


Any other ideas?

Comments (27)

  • 9 years ago
    Cast stone, love it. More modern too, look great with a big art canvas
    Amber D thanked Irene Morresey
  • 9 years ago

    wow, for once a fp, i can feel comfortable commenting on, no, painting etc. I think that keeping in the more modern range, i would remove that frame work and make a larger mantle. i also do not think i would do so old fashioned and fancy a mantle. a couple examples?

    A House with a View · More Info


    Modern Neutral Living Room with Gold Accents · More Info

    The Sierra Showhome (Calgary, Alberta) · More Info

    Amber D thanked havingfun
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Remove all that silly trim and mantel. Paint out the brass with black (fireplace safe) paint.
    Done. (At least for now)

    Amber D thanked drdeb1234
  • 9 years ago
    We have similar rooms and went with the stone to the ceiling and a built in entertainment center. It's still in the works but gives a good idea of how your room could look
    Amber D thanked Frederic
  • 9 years ago

    Remove mantle and trim, then upload new photos.

  • 9 years ago

    Great suggestion. ill see what I can do!

  • 9 years ago

    Frederic, thanks for sharing that! So similar to what we have and thinking about doing. It's beautiful in your placeS what stone did you use?

  • 9 years ago
    It's Coronado ledge stone. They have 50 different lines in multiple colors. I would recommend their products for use.
  • 9 years ago
    Oh I would also recommend not putting the TV above the fireplace. We used to have it that way but it is much more enjoyable to watch TV now that it is to the side of the fireplace.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Took the trim down. Framed it out, now deciding on stone or wood trim. would love to hear thoughts and opinions! I'm a nervous nelly about making the wrong choice!
    love to hear Opinions!!!

  • 8 years ago
    I would be concerned about the people who are doing your millwork. Everything about that mantle is wrong so I would question any call they made in the rest of the house. A real mantle would be nice (you can have them custom made-I think mine was from mantlesdirct.com. You could buy an amazing salvaged mantle, wood or marble. Rustic would work too, or your stacked stone with no mantle for a more modern look. Tv goes where it's center is at eye level when you sit.
    Amber D thanked greenfish1234
  • 8 years ago
    Oops sorry-because of your construction I thought you were building. One of the worst fireplaces I have ever seen!! You will be so happy when it is gone
  • 8 years ago

    Yes, we removed all the millwork!! Hooray!!


    I agree one of the worst fireplaces ever made.

    Now I'm deciding on what to do.. either stone or wood trim(see me last post).

  • 8 years ago
    I think either would be nice, stone is certainly not too rustic. I knew there must be other signs of their work-what is up with this?? Now is the time to redo if it is in the budget
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Yes..I know. The trim.its terrible. And everywhere.: posted about it earlier and decided we will try and make it work for now.

  • 8 years ago
    I just skimmed your other post. The pictures you showed weren't as bad as the mantle and these windows. Your mother-in-law and contractor were right – it has to go! But something like this door frame is not the worst (it would be nice if you could remove that little Keystone looking business from the top but not the end of the world). However, that being said, it is not an "upgrade," it is a dumb-dumb's IDEA of an upgrade. I would leave what isn't god-awful but eliminate truly weird areas like what they did with those poor beautiful windows. Now is the time to take care of the staff, you will not want to do it later once your house is all painted and you're moved in
  • 8 years ago

    I like the stone vs the wood trim. Is that your wall color, or will you be painting? The stone should go with the paint. I would get samples and post pictures in your space.

  • 8 years ago
    OK one last comment and I'll leave you alone. Given your millwork woes which are now apparent to me, I would definitely go with stone, unless you do replace the millwork (you should!). You don't want to be in a situation where you feel like you have to match or even approach the style of the rest of the millwork.
  • 8 years ago

    following...

  • 8 years ago

    Not the wall color. Painting it a light neutral

  • 8 years ago

    My biggest concern with stone is that it will date the house. Perhaps not as timeless at the wood trimming. Am I off?

  • 8 years ago
    Honestly, you can't plan for things like that. People on here are regularly painting beautiful (and timeless) stone fireplaces white, the trim some dope lovingly applied to your home is in dire need of replacement...there is a lot of bad taste out there so you could do the most timeless, elegant thing in the world and in may send shivers down the spine of the next owner. Do something you love and you will love it forever.
  • 8 years ago

    What is the style of the rest of your home? What does the outside look like? Stone? Brick?

    Seems the stone fireplace should coordinate with that.


    I agree with this comment from greenfish:

    "Given your millwork woes which are now apparent to me, I would definitely go with stone, unless you do replace the millwork (you should!). You don't want to be in a situation where you feel like you have to match or even approach the style of the rest of the millwork."

    Amber D thanked gm_tx
  • 8 years ago





    Amber D thanked kulrn
  • 8 years ago

    There is some brick on the outside, but not a ton. Just a suburban house on the outside. No real character.

  • 8 years ago

    replacing front door as well. : )