Software
Houzz Logo Print
ahansba

Need help for our new great room!!!

13 years ago
We are relocating to Florida, and just purchased our new home. Unfortunately, we are still in Ohio, so I can't run to the new house when I want to take paint swatches/check lighting, etc. Our new great room has tons of trim work, which I haven't decided if I like or not. Please help! The pictures I have attached are with the previous owners furniture/décor. I want a calm, beachy feel, but not sure if it will work with the molding/kitchen cabinets. Please help!!! My "Ohio" style is updated traditional with darker colors, but I want a lighter, more relaxed feel in our new home. So, I'd love some decorating advice please - paint/decor colors, leave the molding or take it down, etc.? I'm partial to soft blues, tans, etc. If you have any inspiration photos, it would be much appreciated!!!

Comments (21)

  • 13 years ago
    What part of Florida are you moving to? I'm a Realtor in Palm Beach County and see a lot of homes/design. I think the molding is a little heavy and can't quite figure out what the opening on the right is. Are you keeping the tile flooring? Can you add more photos. You can definitely incorporate light Beach colors regardless of the dark kitchen. If your new home is in the area I can help recommend painters, etc.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi! We are moving to Wesley Chapel. The previous owner is having painters come in for us, I just need to pick the paint colors - soon. The opening on the right is to the Master bedroom/bath. Right now, we are keeping the tile floor, but will get area rugs to define the areas. The photos have their furnishings, which are going with them. Thank you in advance for any advice!!
  • 13 years ago
    Hi again, I've never heard of Wesley Chapel. Where is it? I would lose all of the decorative molding. Is that wall paper below chair rail? There is a Sherwin Williams app that allows you to "virtual paint". You photograph the room and then paint it any color you want to see what you like.... It's a lot of fun. I use it in my real estate business.....
  • 13 years ago
    What's to the left? I love the round arch.....
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    What is the size of the room?
  • 13 years ago
    It's north of Tampa - I believe they also call it "New Tampa". To the left is the kitchen, and breakfast room. I LOVE the Sherwin Williams color visualizer! The pics are older ones, and the wallpaper is now gone. The room is roughly 18X28.
  • 13 years ago
    Lose all the decorative molding and ornate wall paper. Less is more. Esp. in Fla.

    Make the high shelf the very last thing you "decorate" it doesn't go with the feel of the home. You could add rope lighting that will tuck back totally unseen but cast a very nice light.
  • 13 years ago
    Your new kitchen is actually quite beautiful looking. I think that just painting the chair rail and trim white will make a nice difference there. Unless you really don't like the colours on the wall?

    The great room is quite unique with all that decorative trim. Perhaps removing it will damage the walls? Your safest bet will probably be to choose a cream colour and have it all painted in the same colour. It does seem like it is a bit dark in there, but perhaps the curtains were closed when they took the photos? There must be windows somewhere?

    If you've lived in your new house for a while, you'll know where you need warmer colours and where you need cooler colours. But with a good cream base, you can't go wrong I should think.

    I've included some lovely 'beach themed' rooms. Just for fun :-)

    Cameo White 915 Paint · More Info

    Mayonnaise OC-85 Paint · More Info


    Living Room · More Info

    Builder's Model Home · More Info

    Florida Home · More Info

    Newport Beach Custom Home 01 · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    No question...lose the trim.
  • 13 years ago
    Also remove the arch and medallion. Too fussy and limiting with decor and it fights with the beautiful arch of the door right beside it.

    You've got a lot of removing to do!
  • 13 years ago
    Dulux makes a great soft taupey pinkish brown called Worsted Tan. It is beautiful in the sunlight and warms a room at night. I'd paint all the walls with a neutral like this, and then go from there once I got in the house. Its hard to decorate a room you can't 'feel' and you have to be in it to do that! I would at least remove the shelves and the arch thing on the wall and the pieces that appear to stick out from the wall. Paint the rest a nice soft white and see how it feels when you are in the space. The kitchen is pretty. Nice counter and cabinets. What you do from here depends entirely on you budget and how much time you have. Good luck!
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you so much for all the feedback! I love the cabinets & countertops, and do plan on painting the chair rail & baseboards in there white, to make it more cohesive with the rest of the house. The great room is in the center of the house, so there are no actual windows in that room. I plan on adding mirrors to get what light comes in from other rooms to bounce around. The arch is actually a built in, in that wall, so I will either cover it up with something, or at least take all the wallpaper down that was put in it to make it "pop". I'm definitely leaning toward taking all that trim down - it looks to "busy". It's very hard to decorate a home when you're not "there", but I have to go in with a plan, as I'll be starting my new job soon after I move in. Thank you again, for all of the great suggestions, and pictures - I love them, please keep the ideas coming!!!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The moulding is "over the top". I'd recommend removing most of it. Crown moulding is considered an upgrade in homes in this area but I can't tell from the photo if there is any. Niches are also an upgrade but this appears to be a faux image, which I suggest that you remove. I'm curious about the archway. We typically see multiple openings with arches; is there a divider between the dining and living rooms with arches?

    Your color preferences of soft blues and tans are perfect for a beachy feel; also consider light greens and white in your palette.

    My name is Valerie with The Drapery Company. Our offices are not far from Wesley Chapel; half our staff lives in Wesley Chapel! I'm wondering if your home is in Seven Oaks or Meadowpointe?
  • 13 years ago
    Our home is in Meadowpointe. We did a whirlwind 4 day weekend search for a house - thank God for the internet, as I was able to look at houses online, and choose the ones I actually wanted to see, since we were short on time, to find a house.

    The niche is actually a niche - they just put wallpaper in it...? Lots of molding to remove, and lots of changes to make... The Arch leads to the bedrooms. This room is the living/dining room, so I plan on using area rugs to separate the actual areas for now, until I actually get into the home, and get a feel for the space.

    I'm definitely considering all possibilities as far as colors, but all of that molding is just really clouding my thoughts on everything...
  • 13 years ago
    Hmm... remove the molding and the clouds will disappear :-)
  • 13 years ago
    BYE BYE molding... to much.. and try to resist decorating the high plant shelf!!! Leave it open... and plain/.. My two cents... I lived in Tampa.... brace yourself for the summers!!! So you want the inside of your house to feel as cool as possible.!!!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I love molding and it's an expensive feature to a home. I feel if decorated in the correct way, you can still have the beachy feel by all the colors, textures, accessories, furniture, and art in the correct places will definately work. You seem to like a little traditional, so I would work with the moldings. They are always classy and classic!
    Hollywood Regency- Turnberry Ocean Colony Sunny Isles, Fl · More Info
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Add some blue, aqua, turqoise, teal to this room to sprinkle the beach vibe.
    West Bellevue · More Info
    A Classic CT Home with a Modern Flair · More Info
    Horchow · More Info
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Georgian home · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Good luck in your new beautiful home.
Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH