Software
Houzz Logo Print
chrissy1c

turned stairway with straight line pattern in carpet

8 years ago

I really want to use this Stark Antilocarpa carpet on my stairs but my stairs turn twice and there are straight lines going through the pattern. How would I be able to use this so that the lines don't go different direction on each turn? A little complicated but hoping a professional can help. I am Including pics of the carpet and my stairs.





Comments (16)

  • 8 years ago

    I think a beveled edge (45° angle) would look really cool but I'm not an expert and I have no idea if it's technically possible.

    Basically, if it's possible to bevel my vote is go for it!

  • 8 years ago

    Lindsey, I've never heard of beveling. Ill look it up. Thank you for your reply:)

  • 8 years ago

    Basically you cut each end at an angle, and where they meet the straight lines will form square corners. I love the carpet you chose, it's so striking. I'd love to see it work for you :)

  • 8 years ago

    Oh so cool! I just read someone else's question about this same dilemma. A pro answered and said when you do that you have tons of waste. You need to add minimum 20% for this. This carpet is already ridiculously expensive so I'll probably have to find something else. I have looked and looked and of course can't find anything I like as well as this. Stanton has some nice carpets and not as spendy. Thanks Lindsey!

  • 8 years ago

    Your wastage will be 18sq ft of carpet. Total carpet needs is about 78sq ft (assuming 3' wide runner) so that's a waste of a little more than 20%.

    For anyone who happened to see my post from last night, my calculation was wrong and it kept me up all night lol.

    Chrissy Murphy thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • 8 years ago

    Thank you everybody. I have a designer working on it after the holidays. Let's hope it comes together. I will add pics if and when I pull it off. Lindsey, get some rest tonight;)

  • 8 years ago
    Would a miter/bevel on each landing be a wear and tear issue?
  • 8 years ago

    Hi Humingalong2, I think I know what that is? Is it where the carpet would be cut, sewn and turn on each landing so the pattern lines up on each turn? If so that is what I'm trying to accomplish:)

  • 8 years ago

    :-D I will rest easy knowing my math skills are back in working order!

    Can't wait to see what you decide.

    Chrissy Murphy thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    I love that carpet! Love to see this finished. Hope you can do it.
  • 8 years ago
    I believe Prestige Mills also makes this same animal print patterned carpet as a less expensive alternative to Stark. Their color ways are different and the pattern is slightly different but not so noticeable.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Prestige Mills IS Stark! Deerfield 11 just the name of the carpet changes. It is ( Stark) a polypropylene. They both are. From experience, I would NOT recommend that fiber anywhere, let alone a stair. The oil base fiber is a dust/grime MAGNET. I care not what anyone says, you will see every speck, pattern aside. As to install of either, you will have directional changes, and no reputable installer will love a mitre at the landings. Show the actual carpet to the best installer i your area, and have that discussion now. With your designer.

    In any scenario, that is a rug perhaps better used as an area rug.......far easier to vacuum daily. A wool in the same type of pattern? Fine as long as it is not a Wilton, and a 100% nylon? Excellent as well. Just stay away from the propylene. Sorry : (

  • 7 years ago

    can you post your final pic, i am having a similar dilemma with antilocarpa on my stairs. thanks!!

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    What dilemma is that? Material or pattern?

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Examples of how staircase corners are turned