0
chunter1001

GE Cafe Induction Range Questions

Chris Hunter

Has anybody had any experience with the new GE Cafe induction range model CHS995SELSS?

I’m torn between it and the Bosch Benchmark slide in. I really like the GE’s dual oven option, which puts its slightly over the Bosch in my book. But I’m nervous to purchase it unseen and without finding many reviews.

• pstein15

I just received the LG Induction 4617 from Costco. A 20 day wait. Stainless. Excellent. Cooked 13 lb turkey in 2 hours. Crispy skin. Perfect. Very fast induction. Probe works perfectly. I like to mix some colors. Got a Samsung Flex Black Stainless, Stainless for the rest. We previously had a GE white stove. The part near the vents turned black. I am sold on stainless for stoves for that reason. The black stainless refrigerator stands out nicely as our only black piece. I thought the black stainless stoves had a plastic look.

• pstein15

My previous stove was a GE double oven. Great for quick preheating and as a large toaster oven. This time we went back to a single oven. For good reason. We wanted convection. Only the bottom ovens are convection. The top ovens have coils on the bottom, making cleaning difficult. We decided we didn‘t want to buy a convection, and not use the bottom convectiion. Made no sense to us.

Kitchenaid vs ge profile appliances

Thanks for all of the above input. I am currently shopping for my new kitchen appliances as well. In reviewing them all I do notice that the user reviews can vary significantly from what Consumer Reports says. Some of CR recommended products score very poorly from actual user reviews. Has anyone else noticed that? I am currently debating between 27" double wall ovens and have them narrowed down to Kitchenaid, GE and Frigidaire. Any thoughts appreciated. Also, for what it's worth, here is a blog that I ran across that offers some repair stats on appliance brands for anyone who is interested: http://blog.yaleappliance.com/bid/86332/The-Least-Serviced-Most-Reliable-Appliance-Brands-Reviews-Ratings

What hood pairs with GE Slate appliances?

I know I'm late to this conversation but some commenters above suggested Vent-A-Hood and their gunsmoke finish. Be aware the Vent-A-Hood's gunsmoke finish is not even close to matching the GE slate finish. Also, I made the mistake of ordering a Vent-A-Hood range hood without seeing the gunsmoke finish (couldn't find a retailer that had a sample in their showroom) and without checking Vent-A-Hood's return policy. When I received the hood, the finish looked horrible, (looked like it was painted with a roller, not the "smooth power coat finish" that the website claimed), it did not match the GE slate and now Vent-A-Hood wants a 50% restocking fee to take it back. (That's not a typo. 50% restocking fee.) Basically, if you are considering Vent-A-Hood, their brushed stainless is fine but do not consider one of their powder coat finishes. The powder coat finish is not well done and makes the vent hood look very cheap.

Can a Slide-In range be treated like a Freestanding range?

Yes but lg without a back only comes in electric! I've changed all the appliances except my range for this exact problem. I can't re-do my cabinets/counters now but want to upgrade appliances. The stove is up against a tall pantry cabinet. I need a freestanding gas range without the ugly back panel. even the lg studio gas range has un ugly back panel :/ The only one I found so far is the ge cafe with a $3k price tag! I'm thinking of cutting the cabinet to make space for the 3/4 lip but not sure how it will look

36" or 42" Induction Range - do such things exist?

Glad I found this post! I am currently dealing with an error in judgement when ordering my cabinets. I have a space between my cabinets for the range - 36". We don't have gas in our building - so are the 36" Verona electric range and 36" Wolf indication range my only options? The Verona is around $3000 and Wolf over $9000. I have never heard of Verona and scared to go with an unknown brand. Does the Wolf need two circuits? I know nothing about any of this - please advise. thanks!
  • mnovak99

kperrinward, It looks like the regular stainless steel model is still available ( CHS995SELSS ). I don't know why Costco is only showing the SS with gold handles or black models. Give Costco a call and see what they say. If they no longer sell it. many others still do like Home Depot, Lowes, .... You could also try calling GE and see what's up.

• mnovak99

pstein15, You sound a little confused about the GE Cafe induction. The small top oven has no difficult to clean exposed coils. Yes it is not convection and has no need to be. It also has multiple self cleaning modes. The larger main bottom oven does have convection and also has multiple cleaning modes and no exposed coils.

• pstein15

Didn’t see the GE induction. The double ovens I looked at had the elements on the top oven, under the racks. Coil was a bad choice of words. That makes cleaning difficult. The bottom ovens were smooth and easy to clean. I want the convection easily accessible without bending down low to remove the food. We used our top oven exclusively. We only turned the bottom oven on once, to make sure it worked. For us, the bottom oven just didn’t work out. The single oven heats up slower, but it is easy to use. Just took 5 minutes to make grilled cheese sandwiches in our single oven with the convection on. That‘s the trade off. Less bending when using convection.

Hi, We are trying to decide on an induction range. Aside color, are there any major differences between the CHS995 and the CHS950?

• sandi125
    Following
  • kperrinward

I’ve had my ge cafe double oven range for 2 months now. I love it!

• mnovak99

I just passed the 1 year mark on mine. Everything is great, no problems.

• kenstl

I am about 9 months in and it has been great, no issues. Did either of you purchase an extended warranty? I keep getting the offers emailed to me.

• Robert Brown

I bought mine is May so I am that many months in.

I did purchase an additional 4 years on top of the manufacturer’s one year. I plan on extending it after that too. Too many electrical components, something is bound to fail. The cost of the parts is incredibly expensive compared to what the extended warranty cost too.

I love the range and am so happy I bought it. The double ovens are the best feature and I’m not sure I’ll be able to live without. Thanksgiving was too easy. Also my first experience with convection and it is lovely.

In 7-10 years or whatever I will be switching back to gas though. Assuming due to the purchase of a new home or kitchen remodel. Induction is just a bit limiting for me, especially in terms of pan sizes and the available “burner” rings that work efficiently with them.

Nonetheless, I’m incredibly happy with it and can’t recommend it enough.

• Melanie
    I joined this post somewhere around August 2018, and received valuable advice. i ended up buying the prior model, PHS92SF2SS, true slide-in induction range, a floor model half off. I have the extended warranty. I've had to call GE twice during their regular warranty for a concern re. buttons, and for the roll-out rack falling down one leven on one side when pulling it out. Apparently, it's not quite wide enough... they're coming to check this week. Otherwise, the range is fabulous.
  • mnovak99

I purchased at Costco which doubles the factory warranty and then when you use the Costco card they add another 2 years. So 4 years total.

• kperrinward

I got mine at Home Depot and I bought their extended warranty. ive only had the range for 2 months. I talked to a GE repair man and he said the ranges are great but if the stove top goes out it’s super expensive. so I bought the extended warranty something I usually don’t do. Prior to this is had a regular glass top electric range. This is a whole new world with induction. I love the control. It’s like having a gas range with out having the messy cleanups!

• waverly6

Great information on this thread especially about it being available at Costco and the extended warranty. Would never have known about that. Does anybody know if you can get all the different colors of knobs through Costco?

• Margaret Mason

Regarding model # CHS950P4MW2, I spoke with Costco member services over the weekend and was told they are completely out of stock of the Cafe induction double oven, and don't know when it will be available again. Also, they told me the additional 2 year warranty is through Visa, and I confirmed with Visa that it applies no matter where you buy the appliance (so not only from Costco). The standard warranty is 2 years, I think, so that would extend it to 4. My local appliance dealer said they can order it, and ordering the custom knobs/handles is a standard part of the ordering process.

• pstein15

Added on warranty. If you take the bargain priced Square Trade Warranty through Costco, the Citi Card adds two more years making it 7 full years. Read the Citi terms. I have the LG 4617 induction range through Costco. Wonderful in every respect. I did buy my microwave at Home Depot. Costco didn’t have what I wanted. Bought their Asurion extended warranty. Paid with Citi. That’s 7 years Warranty as well.

• waverly6

Thanks, Margaret, I didn't see the custom knob option on any of the sites I visited. I wonder if there is an up charge for different finishes.

• Margaret Mason

Wow pstein15, good to know, thank you! $119.99 for the Square Trade 3 year is a great price. Waverley66, a local appliance dealer told me today that the custom knobs won't be available until April 1 - that Cafe is just shipping the white with bronze, and the stainless steel model right now. But that there will be no upcharge once they're all available. The dealer also told me his warranty covers power surges, which GE does not cover. Wondering if anyone has thoughts on that? One more thing I learned - if you order the range by April 1 (which apparently you can do with custom knobs), you'll qualify for a rebate of a free Hestan Cue Smart pan ($200 pan).

• Margaret Mason

Update/Correction: I just spoke to customer service at Cafe. She said the double oven induction range CHS950P4MW2 is indeed available now and there IS a BIG upcharge for changing out the knobs/handles: $499. She said it gets ordered separately as an accessory kit and they change it out when they install, so you keep both the brushed bronze (which is standard) and whatever you ordered. So the local dealer had this all wrong.

• Margaret Mason

Also - she said the unit has a surcharge protector built into it - and you'd actually void your warranty if you plugged it into anything but the wall outlet. And in my area (Michigan), it will be back in stock at Costco on Jan. 17th. Here's the number to call if you want to check availability in your own area: (800) 692-6630

• waverly6

I can't press "like" for this answer . Houzz needs a dislike button. Or like Facebook, sad face or angry face. Wow, that's a hefty price for some bling. Does that include the handle as well? So that is the matte white model which comes with bronze knobs. So does anyone know what is standard with the stainless steel model. I wonder if its stainless knobs? If I go with this choice in oven I'd probably want the stainless model with bronze (or other ) knobs and handle . Maybe it's worth advertising somewhere for someone. who ordered something different and wants to sell their bronze knobs. Thank you for your answer.

• waverly6

Thank you . I'm not quite ready to order yet. I am still at the stage of researching the different appliances so that I can design my kitchen around my choices.

• waverly6

I also wonder if it's worth asking one's local appliance dealer if they price match.

• Margaret Mason

I know! I couldn't believe how $$ for the knobs and yes, the handles are included. Yes, it's the white that comes w/brushed bronze. Did not ask about the stainless steel one, sorry. And yes, this local appliance dealer did say they'd match the price, but not the warranty (they offer their own 5 year warranty for $300), and also would charge $30 for haul away. So Costco it is!

• pstein15

Don’t forget. Costco has a 90 day return policy. In reading reviews of a variety of products, too many horror stories of products that never worked right. Home Depot is one of the worst with appliances. You ordered it, it’s yours. if not defective, no returns. Very few product exclusions. On the microwave I ordered online, a few months back, we deciced to make a change about 12 hours after ordering it. . Product was days away from being shipped. Was told it was late too change the order. If defective, you must notify them within 48 hours. If not defective, no returns. My understanding is that Home Depot acts as an order taker, rather than the seller. Your contract is with the manufacturer. Please check it out. Google HD appliance return policy. Also, go to their site. Pick a major appliance, scroll down, and check the specs. It will say non returnable.

• kperrinward

The good thing Home Depot has a 10% off for military, active or retired.

• mnovak99

The bad thing about Home Depot is the 10% off is just as you stated. Lowes adds veterans to that group. I find that when making small purchases at HD the unknowning cashier will often accept my veterans card but when I get to big purchases they follow the policy (no discount for veterans). Lowes has my veterans status linked to myLowes account and always automatically applies the discount.

• Melanie
    We got very lucky with Lowes. We always get the 10% military discount and were able to return large appliances as well. Our local Lowes in zip 33511 will work with us until we're satisfied. I ordered a Bosch microwave and Bosch electric slide-in range. They installed the wrong model microwave, but sent someone to uninstall it and re-install the old one. The re-install took a bit of complaining, but they did it. The reason I wanted the old one back was, because when they delivered the range, it did not fit at all. The back is different from other ranges and it stuck out about a foot. They aborted the install, and took it back to the store, where I later saw it out on the floor at a steep discount. I received a full refund for both. Oddly, I still received the 10% Bosch rebate pre-paid credit card a month later...
  • spagano

We are about to replace our original Kenmore (looks like GE made) OTR microwave and smooth top electric range with one of the GE Cafe induction ranges. We're going back-and-forth between the double oven model and the single oven with the OTR Advantium and hope to make our decision this week. We had no idea about Costco selling appliances and the warranties so THANK YOU! And also thanks for all the great information.

• pstein15

Spagano.

After having a double oven for 5 years, we went back to single.

We used the top oven 95% of the time. We used the bottom oven for storage. The top section did not have a convection fan, and had the elements under the racks, making cleaning difficult. The bottom oven, which is less convenient to use, has the convection, and the element on the back wall, not under the racks. That makes cleaning much easier. It seemed silly to pay for a nice convection oven, and only use the top non convection hard to clean oven. The double oven does heat up faster, due to the smaller cavity, but not worth it. You also need to bend down awkwardly, when lifting heavy items from the lower oven, and get no storage at the bottom.

• Robert Kendall

Hi everyone I cannot seem to find this info but what is the temp range of the oven?

• stanfield95

I’ve been in the market for an induction stove for over a year. The “really nice ones” were way out of my price range and the lower priced ones didn’t have that great of reviews, so I pretty much scratched the idea of being able to get one. Something told me to stop by a local kitchen/appliance store yesterday and they had a returned GE Cafe slide-in induction for $1850! I googled reviews and saw that it had pretty great reviews.....then I grilled the salesman about why it was marked down so much other than a minor scratch on the top (that I can totally live with for such a markdown)? He said he wasn’t sure, but he assured me it wouldnt be a mechanical issue and it had not been repaired - he assumed buyer’s remorse. It still comes with the 1 yr warranty, too. I am SO excited about my bargain find!!

Happy to find so many positive comments about it here, too. :)

• mnovak99

If your lucky it was returned for the scratch and is uninstalled. More likely it was scratched during the removal and return. I can't tell from your pic but you may want to check if the top trim piece is there. It gets added during installation and sometimes lost. Often pieces like this are difficult to get from GE. Still not a deal breaker. If you go back my post Feb 18, 2018 in this thread you will see a pic showing the piece. Also another post of mine on the same day has a link to Amazon with 2 reviews on this range. The second one was a successful scratch and dent purchase. You may find it interesting.

• mnovak99

Robert Kendall

Top temp setting is 550, both upper and lower.

• Robert Kendall

Thank you for the temp range! How are people finding the events of the heating in the ovens.

• pstein15

Double check the temp max. My new LG induction, model 4617 has an infrared option for searing steak. Hi and Lo infrared option. Max temp is 700 . Warped my highly reviewed broiler pan within 10 minutes. Will try infrared low next time

• mnovak99

Robert Kendall

In regard to your question on the events of heating in the ovens, my wife is the main user and does an unbelivable amount of baking. I was a little hesitant to buy a new range because I was sure she would find issues but so far no issues. I would say her favorite feature is having a double oven. Both ovens reach set temp fast. I did post a time test somewhere in the beginning of this thread. They are both accurate and convection works well. I did put a temp probe in the ovens thinking I would calibrate them but none was required. I do like the idea that you can calibrate the oven if necessary. So many other ovens are off with no easy calibration method.

As far as the temp setting I provided in a previous post, that is the maximum setting in bake mode. Both ovens have a high and low broil mode which I never checked the temp on.

• Jane Plain

I'm picking up my GE CHS995SELSS on Feb 23 and really happy I found this thread. Great info, esp. on height, flush back plug, etc. So excited - and a little anxious for everything to go well. Thanks everyone for sharing!

Question: One concern is the range hood I need to buy. I do a lot of stove-top cooking, roasting, broiling, and baking. I've (pretty much) decided on an under cabinet baffle ducted hood, but will 400 cfm be enough? I want a good hood but not excited about having to get a manual air uptake if 400 cfm doesn't cut it. Thanks!

• Robert Kendall

I'm confused about how these stoves can be on a 40 AMP circuit. It seems like there is way more power that could be drawn than could be supported by the unit. And I see no suggestion of power limiting unless they do it and just don't mention it. I guess maybe they assume there is never a situation where everything is going full bore.

• kim k

following

• Donna Scappaticci

I'm following this thread since I'm getting mine on Friday!

• Robert Kendall

Can you get a reading on what the load plate is, I need it for a energy calc to make sure I pass code when I order it.

• stanfield95

I’ve had the stove for a little over a month now and I absolutely LOVE it! It looked So bulky in the store and actually measured a smidge wider than my 30” slide in stove that it replaced, so I was so nervous that we were going to have to modify the space....but it fit like a glove. It’s a little higher than my countertop, but it doesn’t bother me nor has it posed a problem when cooking. I boiled over a pot of quinoa and it cleaned up like water on the floor. I have noticed with stainless steel pots, it does make a slight buzzing noise...but no noise with my Le Creuset pots. It is a GREAT stove so far and I’m still blown away that I got it 1/2 off (I thought for sure that because of the slashed price that it was going to be defected in some way).

Sorry, I can’t give any info on the power limits. I turn it on, it cooks, and the lights in my house stay on. Good enough for me. :)

• rtross

Updating small kitchen and need to replace slide in Jenn-Air downdraft range on inside wall (30+ yrs no issues). Would love to have this GE cafe instead of another downdraft given current $ and reviews of down draft options (KA and Jenn-Air) Would appreciate hearing your experience if you have the GE Cafe with only OTR microwave recirculating for ventilation. Anyone happy with a particular OTR performance and look?

• spagano

Hello All! We've had the single oven range for about six weeks now and LOVE it. In all honesty we are not huge cooks but my husband loves to bake bread so the oven gets a lot of use. I am amazed at how quickly the pans heat up and love the ease of cleanup.

As for pans-not ONE SINGLE pan we owned worked with induction so we've slowly started purchasing new ones. We had a lot of pans but are limiting ourselves to what we really use. We did a fair amount of research and ended up with Demeyere and LeCrueset and were able to take advantage of outlet prices. We have a 10" LeCrueset fry pan that we are still learning how to use, a 11" LeCreuset non-stick fry pan we use for eggs and love, a 5.5 quart Demeyere stock pot, and a 3.2 Demeyere saucepan (which is ideal for making boxed mac and cheese if you're interested). We also picked up a LeCreuset round dutch oven but I don't remember the size. The quality and construction of all the cookware is outstanding.

Installation (through Costco) was painless. Our range arrived in perfect condition in the time frame they stated. If. you can get a scratch and dent product do so. We've already put a few minor scratches in ours (that only we notice) but it still looks great. I wasn't sure about the Cafe series because I didn't really like the knobs but now I love them.

The oven heats up fast but it does need about an extra 10 minutes to completely reach the set temp in the entire cavity. We store our Advantium accessories in the warming drawer. On that note-we decided on the 220 OTR Advantiium instead of the double oven range and are pleased with our decision. That was an interesting story as I KNEW I needed to have our electric upgraded and then completely forgot until the day of installation when the installers pointed it out. So it lived in it's (huge) box in the corner of our kitchen until our electrician was available. It's currently self-venting but we're making some updates to our kitchen and will vent it outside when we do the other work. Our current kitchen has a ton of storage and is very roomy so even though I don't love the cabinets we've slowly been making it look better. That said our next house (retirement) I will definitely get a double oven set-up with one being the deeper Advantium we love it that much.

• pstein15

I wrote a lengthy comment above. Look for my name. I would not get another double oven even though the top oven heats up faster. We use the convection oven daily. Love it. Every double oven we looked at only had convection in the bottom oven. Too inconvenient. Cleaning is too difficult in the top oven.

• Sue Guilford

Our son and daughter-in-law bought one recently. This is the stove I wanted but nobody made an electric range with induction cooktop in 2006 when I did our kitchen remodel. (However, I did learn about induction from this website, for which I am forever grateful. Our son and DIL were sold on induction after using mine.). I like the Cafe unit so much that I am tempted to replace my induction cooktop over a wall oven. The double oven is much better than what I have, which is a single oven plus a microwave/convection oven because the small oven in the Cafe unit can do any temperature, unlike my microwave/convection unit which can only go to 350 degrees.

• pstein15

Does the small oven have real convection?

• Donna

Only the lower oven has convection but I find the top perfect for most meals.