Software
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

Do you belong to any neighborhood groups online?

8 years ago




Do you belong to any neighborhood groups online? If so, how does that work for you? If not, how do you keep on top of the goings on in your neighborhood?


Share your experience!


Comments (31)

  • 8 years ago

    Ditto what grapefruit1_ar said. I have found "Next Door" to be a great resource.

  • 8 years ago
    Our group of neighborhoods uses nextdoor as well. We have a bunch of smaller neighborhoods in this district near a lake, we all have the same massive HOA. I've found it (nextdoor) to be very informative and helpful. Just this past week I posted a free hot tub filter that we were mailed accidentally (amazon told us to keep it) and I had a nearby neighbor pick it up only 15 minutes later... he was grateful as it was the size he uses and I was happy to have it out of my house and not thrown away.
  • 8 years ago

    Next Door is great. I use it as a resource now instead of Angie’s List when looking for handymen etc. It’s also been really helpful in finding lost pets in the area

  • 8 years ago

    We started that up for our community last year. Recently, though, some members have started to get a little cranky with each other so that had to be toned down.

  • 8 years ago

    No, and never will. Love some privacy. And am not interested in the little nonsense many people post. Live in Europe, where this 'next door' thing does not exist, for that indeed seems helpful for finding handymen. No-one finds handymen here, there's a great shortage.

  • 8 years ago

    The last time I checked out, they were talking about a ghost somewhere in my building (?)

  • 8 years ago
    Next Door invaluable for news, information and resources during the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey. Neighbors that stayed waded out to take photos of homes for those that had evacuated. And to check on others. Routes in and out were reported, alerts about suspicious activity, rides offered for trips for supplies. Neighbors being neighbors during a difficult time.
  • 8 years ago

    I use nexdoor also. It is very helpful for crime and traffic issues.

  • 8 years ago
    No. Tried next door, but some users treated as a Facebook page up dating all day long trivial issues. Signed up for our cities alert system on New Year’s Day they sent an alert “they were working on being a safe city for 2018”. Not a necessary message any day on a safety alert system. Not as old as I seem when I say if you want to chat pick up the phone or buy a stamp, even an email is acceptable all other messages are just noise
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    use Nextdoor in California and in Austin. You can set privacy and notifications to reduce your in-flow of unwanted or not pertinent information. You can set up alerts so that you get notified if someone is missing a pet for example, or a child. It is handy if you are out of town and an emergency occurs. Also use the neighborhood association 'newspaper' wherever I am. I have never lived in a gated community but fortunate to always live in active community oriented neighborhoods that have such 'newspapers'/ with information for everything from parks, volunteer activities new businesses, to local activities.

  • 8 years ago

    I'm part of On The Sidewalk. It is when you bump into your neighbors on the sidewalk walking to and from the store or to and from work and you have an actual conversation with them. You ask them, Hey didn't you remodel your kitchen last year, do you like who you used?

  • 8 years ago

    I signed up for Nextdoor in my New Jersey shore community. At first I thought it was a useful and informative tool for help in finding local resources and for safety/crime issues but lately it has become more like Facebook. Some posts are downright nasty and many others are from serial posters who are either trying to sell their services (with multiple posts per week) or post idiotic things like I have a leftover ham bone is anyone wants to make pea soup. Seriously? I wish there was a way to block people like you can do on Facebook.

  • 8 years ago

    lol @ leftover ham bone...Gross. We have various neighborhood Facebook pages for selling and trading items, crime, and just information in general. With every social media outlet there are going to be those who use it to start drama, or for purposes other than intended. Also, you have to be careful with what you post (e.g., leaving town and needing a dog sitter). Just because they are your neighbor does not mean that they are a good person. Mischievous teenagers also look on the page to see who was complaining about theft, break-ins, etc., and laughing about it when they knew they were involved. I believe they were reported and dealt with accordingly, but you can't trust everyone. On the flip side, I have received help with various things around the house, handyman recommendations, and other things that would have been difficult to find out on my own.

  • 8 years ago

    Yes...I also belong to Nextdoor. Occasionally there are some "quirks," but they're easy to ignore. I find it very informative.

  • 8 years ago

    I was on Nextdoor so that, as part of my board duties, I could alert others in my HOA to problems like porch thieves, coyotes, and important city meetings, but I didn't run for board this year. A couple of times I've gotten disgusted when people posted pictures of minors suspected of committing minor crimes, and then more people chimed in making ill-advised, abusive remarks about these kids and how they should be punished (generally involving corporal means). Nextdoor usually takes the worst of these down when they are reported, but not immediately. I've worked with kids for many decades. I think they should be appropriately punished for crimes, but their identities should be protected to give them the best chance of redeeming themselves. These kinds of postings are driving me away from Nextdoor.

  • 8 years ago

    Recently I've switched more to our local Facebook group except for just reading the Nextdoor daily digest that comes into my e-mail. We had a resident that's in the county next to us - but connected geographically by Nextdoor - start a thread about how we're all going to die after the government takes over our brains with the 5G service that is being installed to run autonomous vehicles. That went on for almost a week before it was finally removed. The man was relentless and kept posting links to those websites that blow everything out of proportion for dramatic effect. It was entertaining to a point but, I think he gathered up some new believers.

  • 8 years ago

    One thing I really like about Nextdoor are the lost animals that are found due to pleas from owners. Always makes me smile.

  • 8 years ago

    Guys, there are settings on Nextdoor that allow you to filter many of the annoyances so that you receive what you want. You can also mute any 'converations' that you find petty or unnecessary. You can also set to you receive a summary on a weekly basis and 'emergencies' like neighborhood safety or lost pets.

  • 8 years ago

    Nextdoor has been fantastic for all kinds of local recomendations. Most of those that I have used have panned out wonderfully.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Yes my town has nextdoor, a rowdy facebook group, a toned down facebook group, it was very helpful during recent wildfires, and a neighborhood watch. They are all great. For crime, I also check arjis.

  • 8 years ago

    I use Nextdoor...or I should say I check it when I see an email. We get a lot of local's recommended for handyman jobs, painters etc thru it, but I haven't used any of them. I know most of the people in our neighborhood(s) so I make a note to see how they liked them etc for future reference . I always check a new city for a 'heat map'. It shows crime stats on a map for a great reference. NOLA has one that I check a lot, but I know other cities have them available.


  • 8 years ago

    We use a neighborhood Facebook page as well as NextDoor.

  • 8 years ago

    You find out how whiny and annoying your neighbors are pretty quickly with an online presence. There are times, like when the bald eagles were flying around our neighborhood, that it is nice to have access to everyone.

  • 8 years ago

    We have Next Door in my neighborhood. It is a delightful way to hear and exchange appropriate neighborhood news. Those who have lost pets and found them bc of this site affirms its value.

  • 8 years ago

    I only check Next Door about once every other month. There's some great neighborhood info and I agree about the lost pet info being a positive thing, but there's also a lot of complaining about people putting their dog poop bags in other people's Herbie Curbies and that sort of thing.

  • 8 years ago
    I joined NextDoor for a week in order to locate the owner of a dog (yes, we were successful). By the end of the week, I was out. I discovered some of my neighbors had too much time on their hands and too much paranoia about "suspicious" activities. I realized that one woman who lived a block away was completely unhinged, and getting off the site was best for my own peace of mind.
  • 8 years ago

    I DID follow Nextdoor. Unfortunately, in our community it seems to be a platform for showing photos of "suspicious" people, who are judged without any good reason. License plate photos too of drivers deemed unsafe. I am very uncomfortable with this type of public shaming.


  • 8 years ago

    No, too much pressure to participate, much like Facebook. I’d rather chat with someone face to face -easy while walking the dogs or gardening.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    I had a funny situation, too. I moved to a new city, to a new house, and here I decided to find some acquaintances, in the application together2night found an interesting man, we got to talking, and then suddenly it turned out that it was my neighbor lol. So we became friends, now we live together and enjoy life.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    I move around quite often, and when I lived in some houses, we had a neighborhood chat. Thanks to this chat, sometimes we would get together for barbecues and alert to upcoming parties. I have a pretty popular Instagram account with 100k followers. I was able to get that many followers thanks to https://socialboosts.org/free-instagram-followers/. When our neighborhood chat was on Instagram, many neighbors were surprised that I had many followers. They thought I was a famous person.