Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digijules

Granite or Quartz that looks like soapstone?

Julie Halloran
6 years ago

Help! I'm having my countertops templated on Friday and need to make a decision! I am going for the modern farmhouse look, and love the look of black soapstone countertops but don't want the upkeep or fragility of real soapstone. I had chosen Eternal Marqina from a small sample, but when I saw the full slab today, it was way more dramatic and contrast-y than I want. I settled on a new quartz color called Charcoal Soapstone in suede, but the more I look at the sample I brought home, the less enthused I am with it. It just looks....fake.

Now I'm wondering if there's a mostly black granite with subtle white veining out there that I can use to achieve the same effect. The picture attached is the look I am going for, and this is apparently honed granite, but I can't find any name or specific info on the color of the granite. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (27)

• caligirl5
    6 years ago

I have honed black mist granite. It was much cheaper than soapstone and less maintenance concerns. Also called jet mist or virginia mist.

• friedajune
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Yes, echoing "Virgina Mist" aka "Jet Mist". Very beautiful granite. They don't have so much white veining, but the slabs vary in the amount of "powdered sugar" they have. Some people want the most powdered sugar they can find, and some people want it more black. Also, the kind of chunky area you see in the top photo are more prized by some due to their dramatic look. While other people may want a more quiet uniform slab. So you should go to several stoneyards to see different slabs due to that variation. Also, get it honed, not polished finish.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago
  • camilleclaudel
    6 years ago

Forest Black Granite or Black Forest Granite?

http://designingidea.com/black-granite-countertops/

• oasisowner
    6 years ago

Upkeep and fragility of soapstone? Ours takes no upkeep. You can oil or wax it if you want, but it's not a necessity. Cleaning is simple soap and water when I do the dishes. As far as fragility, we have had a few scratches, not noticeable unless you really look for them, and one small chip on the edge. Otherwise, soapstone is pretty bomb proof. It is, as far as I know, the only surface that will tolerate hot pots and pans set directly on the counter top.

• friedajune
    6 years ago

Oasisowner - there are different soapstones with different levels of hardness/softness. You can't lump them all together regarding how fragile or not they are. Soapstones with a higher talc content will be softer, even very soft, and prone to scratching and chipping. Many soapstone enthusiasts don't mind that. There are other soapstones that are harder and won't scratch and chip as easily, like yours. What is the name of your soapstone?

If the OP is still considering soapstone, she should shop the different types carefully, and work with a fabricator who is knowledgable in soapstone.

• Julie Halloran
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks so much for your responses. Caligirl5, your kitchen looks amazing! I think I am going to go with a leathered Negresco granite? It seems to have that deep black with the white veining like soapstone.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Check out some of the new Corian colors. All of the look of soapstone with none of the downsides.

• PRO
    Affordable Quality Kitchens & Stone
    6 years ago

I am a big fan of Pietra Del Cardosa Honed looks very close once sealed and wears allot better.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

honed virginia mist or Jet mist

Leathered, Duetto Quartzite

Here's the Negresco,,,this is nice!

• gtcircus
    6 years ago
    I used blue stone, which is a dark grey black as the soap stone had too much movement.
  • Brian&Susan Albon
    5 years ago

Caligirl5 - how does your honed granite wear? Does it require any regular maintenance (sealing)? I love the look and feel, but have found only negative reviews concerning fingerprints and stains

• caligirl5
    5 years ago

I've only had about a year, no issues at all with fingerprints or stains (I think a lot of those complaints relate to polished black granite). I just tried to leave a fingerprint and couldn't :)

I haven't sealed it, and I don't think the installers sealed it. Often black granite doesn't need sealing. I believe the sign that it needs to be sealed is if it starts absorbing liquids, and mine doesn't do that.

• Joe T.
    5 years ago

I have honed Virginia Mist as well. The absorption of Virginia Mist is 0.14%, and from what I've read, anything below 0.25% not only doesn't need sealing, but shouldn't be sealed.

As far as how mine's holding up, well, whenever my wife cooks, afterward, the kitchen tends to look like Mario Batali exploded. Oils (olive, butter), acids (lemon juice, pickled jalapeños, tomatoes), wine, etc., and no staining or etching. She's dragged cast iron across it as well, and no scratches either.

The only thing that left marks, but still cleared after a week or so with nothing more than regular use and cleaning (nothing special), were some finger marks where the installers got a bit of silicone on the surface. But again, after a week or so, they were gone.

• Brian&Susan Albon
    5 years ago

Caligirl5 and Joe T. Thanks so much for your replies. I’m excited to hear positive reviews on the honed Virginia Mist. I appreciate the feedback.

• PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    5 years ago

I used it in this office.

New Space Vintage Style · More Info
    Beautiful surface but it shows EVERY fingerprint. A brushed or leathered surface does not have the same issue.

• Brian&Susan Albon
    5 years ago

Just to clarify - are you saying that honed VM shows every fingerprint? I’m so confused over conflicting reviews.

• PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    5 years ago

Yes, many honed slabs do. My recommendation is that when you go to select your slab, wipe it off first to remove dust and dirt and then just put your fingers on it. If it leaves a fingerprint from your clean hands, you can image that it will when your hands are greasy from food prep.

• Dave
    5 years ago
    Wife originally wanted soapstone too. we went with a San Carlos granite with a leathered finish and love it.
  • Joe T.
    5 years ago
    Just to clarify, my honed VM doesn't show every fingerprint.
  • Jennifer
    5 years ago

Julie if I had seen this stone before I ordered my soapstone yesterday I might have gone with it! Your kitchen looks great - love that it is not black but a charcoal.

• Jennette Home
    3 years ago

Yes, Julie, it looks great. How are you finding that it performs with acids, prints, etc.? So like, when I cook (or just when I live, LOL), I get liquids, etc all on the countertop.

• HU-655092298
    2 years ago

Julie- anymore photos of your counters

• Julie Halloran
    Original Author
    2 months ago

A couple of people have liked this comment over the years so I dug up some more photos. Unfortunately we sold the property a couple years ago so I can't take any new ones. This is a closeup of the original counter as it was being installed. I was attempting to show the fabricator the rain streaks but you can see the veining here as well.

And this is the finished kitchen. Very tiny :)

• Jennette Home
    2 months ago

@Julie Halloran, I really like it! Looks great. Esp seems it would look great in a Craftsman home.

That's Negresco granite with a leathered finish, as I understand.

• Jennette Home
    2 months ago

@Julie Halloran, looks great! Esp seems it look great in a Craftsman home. And that's the Negresco granite with a leathered finish, as I understand this post. Makes me wish I'd gone that route instead of Shadow Storm quartzite. P.S. -- Do all kitchen items -- plastic containers, rubber containers, glass containers, etc. move well on leathered-finish granite? I've always wondered. My friend has leather-finish, but I've never experimented. LOL