Software
Houzz Logo Print
earliglo

Need help with kitchen backsplash

13 years ago
Just replaced kitchen cabinets in a small seasonal lake home. Cabinets are painted Benjamin Moore Sail Cloth and counters are Wilsonart laminate Sandy Topaz which has a quartz look with shades of taupe, gray, beige and tan. I ordered counters without any backsplash. Island base is a chestnut stain with clear butcher block pine top. Counter stools are metal (dark gray) with taupe leather seats. Kitchen is open to living area and all walls are natural knotty pine as are floors. Earth colors on upholstered Palochek rattan pieces. I'm trying to lessen the 'rustic fishing camp look' to more of a 'lakeside' look. Any suggestions?

Comments (21)

  • 13 years ago
    Love your kitchen, but what is your idea of a "lakeside" look?
  • 13 years ago
    Paint the pine with a coordinating color like benjamin moore lily pad
  • 13 years ago
    But the lakeside look, is a little rustic, but if you want to counteract some of the rustic vibes, try adding a few modern touches. like a vase of local flowers that grow around your lake , which is bringing in the nature concepts from your own lake into your home.
    your kitchen is very similar to this one
    Cape Cod Kitchen, Corvallis, Oregon · More Info
    try adding some decorative books on a shelf into your kitchen, a nick metalic teapot on display on your stove, and on the shelf above your sink, add some decorative items that have that lakeside charm like, this modern boat piece will will help reduce the rustic look
    Sail Boat Sculpture · More Info
    and maybe hang a few lake inspired pictures like
    Play like a Pirate Screenprint by Monorail · More Info
    ,or
    Go Jump in the Lake On Lake Time Wall Art · More Info
    , or something i little more sophisticated like
    White Boat Beached Lake Water Green Purple Grass by Clair Hartmann Fine Art · More Info
    and https://www.houzz.com/products/photo-art-on-canvas-madagascar-dugout-canoe-prvw-vr~370758 little things liek these that throw in that fresh water vibe. and a few vases for modern touches like
    Square Vases · More Info
    .
  • 13 years ago
    One possibility would be a gray or taupe subway tile for the backsplash:
    White classic kitchen design · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    thank you for the suggestions. I am going to check out the lily pad paint color. I like subway tiles and gray or taupe would work, but I'm afraid all the grout lines may be too busy for the small space. Like the accents especially the more sophisticated prints. I guess what I really want to do is bring in some sophistication and clean lines. Appreciate everyone's input!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Here's a tile with a modern country pattern, small squares pick up the color of your cabs.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I think our metropolis glass tiles would work really well with the design you have. In my opinion, the diamond or bronzite would be a great fit. You can see them here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/mosaic-tiles/colors/metropolis/

    You're lakeside house has a modern twist in the kitchen. I'd decorate using towels, hardware, etc. that has a lakeside feel.

    Good luck!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Just wanted to note a possibility to consider in regard to grout would be to use a grout color that was the same or close to the tile color - for instance a gray tile with a gray grout.

    This stone mosaic tile has an interesting pattern:

    Paton Terrace Kitchen · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks everyone...all suggestions and advice will be considered....what a help this has been!
  • 13 years ago
    just sent for Lily Pad paint sample....may go with painted bead board for backsplash....hope the color works!
  • 13 years ago
    Hope you like it!!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I think if you should hang some beautiful blue pendant lights over the island!
  • 13 years ago
    good thought....I'm in process of re-doing living area and would love to bring in the blue of the lake water, however, haven't started that project yet. thank you.
  • 13 years ago
    A weathered barnboard stained with muted blues could replace the knotty pine.
  • 13 years ago
    My first thought was cobalt blue and white tile in a nice random pattern for your back splash. it would look awesome, clean and very cottage.
  • 13 years ago
    PS it would match the missing pendant lights...
  • 13 years ago
    The tile would look very cottage
  • 13 years ago
    really like the weathered barnboard idea stained in muted colors....also like the suggestion of painting the existing pine with Benjamin Moore Lily Pad.....picked up sample paint yesterday...will try it out today. I think either will give me the simple (less is more) lake look that I am after. I am after a very subdued look...want the lake views to be the focus.
  • 12 years ago
    I agree that the lakeside look is more on the rustic side and i think you can bring that look to this kitchen with rustic accessorizig and a backsplash that's on the rough side like these
  • 12 years ago
    A larger form factor in glass tile (still subway pattern) would work in sea foam or light blue. I have used 4x12" from modwalls.com before. This is "vapor", but they also have "fog bank" and "surf" (all lakeside colors)