0

First Time with Dahlias - Questions and Needed Advice

cefandl

Hi there,

I'm attempting to grow Dahlias for the first time this year. They are around 2.5 ft tall and have many buds on them. One had opened and it was glorious - the size of my son's head. The rest aren't getting nearly that big when opening. The blooms are also only staying around for a day or two once they finally open. The two seen in the pictures that aren't fully open, finally opened all the way and a day later are practically spent. The last picture is also a bloom that opened and withered up a day later. I'm wondering if there's something I should be doing or if you can see anything going on from these images? Any and all dahlia advice is greatly welcome and appreciated! I'm winging it a bit. Sorry if this posted twice, my connection was acting up.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱

How has the weather been and how are you watering them?

tj

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Knowing your geographical location would help people offer advice. Where I am, Dahlias, unless brought on in greenhouses, are not even budding yet. They're late summer bloomers here.

• cefandl

We are in Portland. Zone 8. Weather has been nice and warm. They get a good amount of sun. We had a few rain showers so I've been easy on the water.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱

It looks like it needs a good soaking. A few rain showers may not be enough.

tj

• cefandl

I'll give it a good watering tonight after it cools down and hopefully they'll get happy again.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Did you grow it from a tuber or buy it as a plant?

• cefandl

We bought it as a small plant. It grew up pretty quickly. It's been very hot here, in the 90s. I gave it a really good watering last night and trimmed off the bottom leaves (someone mentioned) for air circulation? It's perked up quite a bit. I'm wondering about additional care when it comes to them. Pinching off is something I read about, but is that for younger plants?

First of all, your flowers are ahead of the game as far as time of the year if they are looking like that June 18 of your posting time. Second of all, pinching off will decrease your number of actual flowers, But allowing the ones that do develop to be bigger. If you were new to dahlias, I don’t recommend pinching off.

i have lots of other advice if you need.

tomhouston12@hotmail.com

• cefandl

Thank you. I deadheaded the blooms and cut them down to about an elbow to finger length. We had one more bloom, but nothing since then. Lots of little buds, but the blossoming seems to have slowed down. Would love to understand more about pinching off and how to properly do that.