Software
Houzz Logo Print
lisalarsen22

Help with siding color and curb appeal?

8 years ago
I’m very excited for our external facelift! Color selection is always tricky for me and this is a biggie. I’d love input. Here is what we have now..

Reddish brown roof (can’t change)
Light reddish tumbled brick
Cream that looks yellow siding
White trim

I’m open to changing anything except the roof and will consider painting the brick. Landscaping changes will happen next year.

Thanks!
Lisa

Comments (11)

  • 8 years ago

    Really nice home and yard.

    Like the landscaping (that I can see in your pics) already. It is well laid out and well maintained.

    Please don't paint the brick. The whole purpose of brick is to have an attractive, low maintenance exterior and your brick is that. Remember that anything that is painted will, inevitably, need to be repainted and will likely begin to look awful as it gets that way.

    Not a fan of the shutter size or color.

    As to shutter size: Supposedly the "right" size is wide enough for them to actually cover the window if they were on a hinge and could be closed over it.

    As to shutter color: The choice of color goes well enough with the brick but yellow siding and that shutter color (?rose?) would not be a color combination that would work for me -- others may strongly disagree.

    Would probably have chosen a darker color for the siding and garage door.

    Unable to see the front entry from your pics. Often updating a front door / entry can enhance curb appeal.

  • 8 years ago

    I also suggest not painting the brick since the purpose of a brick house saves the owner from having to paint it. As for siding color, I suggest either gray or blue. Both would work with the color of your roof and the bricks. Here are some examples:

    Moving On Up · More Info

    Dilworth Historic District Craftsman · More Info


  • 8 years ago

    Hi Lisa,

    I actually like it the way it is :-)

    Whatever you decide to do though, I definitely would advise to leave the brick as it is.

    Good luck

    Mehdia

  • 8 years ago
    Don’t paint the brick. I don’t understand why anyone would want to do that (just my personal opinion, not to offend anyone). I would update the shutters.
  • 8 years ago
    I like the idea of gray siding but not sure that goes with the brownish red roof? The shutters will change too. What I really want is a total overhaul but I don’t know where to start.

    Yes, landscaping will change.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Who can see any changes you might end up doing?

    First cut back the landscaping, take new pics and come back here again. No one can mock up anything for you given the current pics.

  • 8 years ago

    Agree with Beverly...do some trimming back. Your brick is really nice; painting it would be a shame. Patricia's suggestion of a sage green would be a good choice with the brick. Think about a light sage green with soft white trim.


  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    OP, please take a moment to read this brief article on shutter sizing, location etc so you know why your current shutters don't work:

    https://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/residential-architecture-101-shutters/

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    If you must change the brick color, stain it for less maintenance. It will be easier for the crew to access the house if some of that overgrown landscaping is already out of their way.

  • 8 years ago
    I love the idea of staining the brick! Because the house had an addition, the brick in the garage and the chimney don’t really match. I didn’t realize this could be done. Does it last?