Software
Houzz Logo Print
ckrug814

Need advice.....

8 years ago
I love this mirror (55”x44”). I want to hang it over my sofa (marked out in blue tape). What do you think of the height on the wall? Does it look odd that mirror would be about 3” taller than my shutters? I appreciate your help. Thanks

Comments (32)

  • 8 years ago

    Based on what's shown, I'd suggest lowering to be even with window. But, in the context of the whole room does it not look odd? What's on the other side of the window? If the mirror is balanced with something on the other side it might work. Other option would be to add something above the window to draw attention away from how the window & mirror line up (but I can't think of anything so may be a worthless suggestion :-) )

  • 8 years ago

    I like the mirror over the buffet. I'm not liking it over the sofa. I'd put some artwork over the sofa.

  • 8 years ago

    More importantly before hanging the mirror anywhere is what it will reflect, double, or in this case multiply by 25?

  • 8 years ago
    My tv is what is opposite of the sofa. Actually my sofa is not exactly centered on this wall as I have more furniture (chairs, end tables etc) by my front window. (hope that makes sense) My dining room table/bench are centered off my shutters. I like things to be straight & for whatever reason my sofa not being centered between my shutters does not bother me.
    I’ve been looking for a picture to go above my sofa & have not found anything that “moves” me.
  • 8 years ago

    Don't give up on finding a piece of art you LOVE! Check out Etsy or a local art school/art fair or (non-pretentious) art gallery that features local artists. Support artists and have original pieces (or artist's prints) you LOVE to decorate your home.

  • 8 years ago
    Thx Anita. Either I’m really picky or just scared to make a decision about art for above my sofa. I’ve found things for other areas in my house so maybe there’s still something out there for me!
  • 8 years ago

    I hear you - same thing has happened to me. Analysis paralysis. Currently talking myself in circles about a large wall in my dining room. Maybe consider a large canvas print of a photo. Below are a couple I found interesting online but please note I don't own these images so I make no claim as to copyrights!




  • 8 years ago

    Take your time. Art would be the better choice.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I wouldn't place a mirror over a sofa. I would select art for that wall, but here is the mirror over your sofa. Depends on what is reflected in the mirror.

  • 8 years ago

    The mirror is very cool, but just doesn't look right. I like Beverly's art much better.


    Plus reflecting a tv just seems like another reason not to.


    Maybe just get an inexpensive canvas that you like to hang there until you find just the right piece. You'll know it when you see it and in the meantime it takes the pressure off of having to find the "perfect" piece of art.



    Yosemite Home Decor "Sailboat Serenity" Wood Gallery Wrapped Wall Art in Blue · More Info


  • 8 years ago
    Thanks Beverly & Sharyn. I will continue to search for artwork. Fingers crossed.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    I would also agree with most of the people here. Hang art over the sofa and mirror somewhere else.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Art is very personal so keep looking. If you art a bit brave, you could experiment making your own piece. You could also hang a pretty textile and that might appeal to you more. Here are a few ideas.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Some other options.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Some other options.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Sorry Houzz seems to be having problems and they double posted the last posting.
  • 8 years ago
    I really like this canvas. What do you think about the colors? Can someone insert it above my sofa so i can see how it would look. Would love for the size of canvas to be rectangular but it’s square 51”x51”. Thanks!!
  • 8 years ago

    I see you have those nice shutters, but I would add a rod across the top, closer to the ceiling, and a nice drapery panel on each side. I think your room could use the visual texture of the fabric running from floor to ceiling. And then the art over the sofa will not look so stark.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Here you go.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Not sure of scale but gives you idea. Sorry I couldn’t remove blue tape.
  • 8 years ago
    Thanks Flo. It’s so hard finding artwork that I love, then it needs to be in the dimensions that work. I think I should just leave the blue tape.....just kidding.
  • 8 years ago
    Art would be lovely, have a look online at Aliexpress, so many to choose from and very reasonable, they come in lots of different sizes and free shipping.
  • 8 years ago
    Lower it a bit and relax and enjoy.
  • 8 years ago

    art for sure. You have a lot of generic "stuff:" art will help personalize the space and elevate it in a way that homegoods and PB cannot. I agree that curtains would really add to. "Finished" look.

  • 8 years ago
    NO to curtains....you have a coastal look happening. I have a large Beach house.....
    No curtains.
  • 8 years ago
    Do you have a photo you love? Taken of family, on travel, or of nature? You can have it printed on canvas, with an art effect, such as oil paint or water color, made to the size you want. Both Costco and Sam's Club offer this service, and there are many online services. Here’s a photo of one we did, of the ocean in Tahiti.
  • 8 years ago
    This is a photo taken of city lights, using a long exposure and swinging the camera, that we cut into three sections.
  • 8 years ago

    Etsy has great art. You can get a variety of sizes on original art. You seem to have a beachy theme going on, but you can do anything even bring in a new color/colors...

    art by kulrn | Olioboard · More Info


    art by kulrn | Olioboard · More Info


    art by kulrn | Olioboard · More Info


  • 8 years ago

    Etsy has great art. You can get a variety of sizes on original art. You seem to have a beachy theme going on, but you can do anything even bring in a new color/colors...

    art by kulrn | Olioboard · More Info


    art by kulrn | Olioboard · More Info


    art by kulrn | Olioboard · More Info


  • 8 years ago
    Agree 100% about art! So much art, so little wall space!