Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simon_mercieca

kitchen table size. pls help in deciding size

Simon Mercieca
5 years ago
So I’ve been back and forth with what size table to go In our kitchen. Hopefully I can make a decision and place my order. Kitchen breakfast are is 13 ft wide by roughly 9.5 ft. Standard table sizes are 80x40. 72x38 or 76x36. We have a patio door and don’t want the door to hit the table or chairs. We are doing a bench along the window and 4 chairs. Thinking the 80 inch would be ideal but don’t want it to be so crowed. I have attached pics of the floor plan. Ur input would be appreciated.. the black line is 80 inches. Table we are looking at will not have a leaf.

Comments (62)

• felizlady
    5 years ago
    Why not a round 45” pedestal table with one leaf? Without the leaf it seats 7; with the leaf it seats 9. I have one in my breakfast area which is about the same size as yours. You can still do the bench and chairs.
    When planning the location of a ceiling light fixture in the area, decide on your table and seating first (a light over the dining table would normally be centered over the table, but giving the door enough space for opening may shift your table to the right) or light the area with recessed lights and wall sconces for more flattering illumination.
  • Danny Stumpo
    5 years ago
    Yeah, don’t do round in that space. It’s a very angular room and round will look a touch out of place and consume space. You can get the 80” to work for sure. That’ll leave 3’ on either end. If you want to be safe and give yourself a bit of play for traffic go 76”.

Good luck.
  • maggieq
    5 years ago

We had a 60 inch round table in a similar 10 ft x 10 ft breakfast nook (previous home). It was killer! Comfortably fit 6 chairs, easy to squeeze 2 more chairs when needed. It is not too big for your space.

• Simon Mercieca
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for all the feedback! So I prefer a rectangle table. I like the bench idea to for easily seating 3 people. I may have to go with my original plan. So two sizes down from the 80 inch is 76x36 not keen on the 36 may be to narrow. The other is a 38x72 which is 6 ft wide which will leave us with 3.5 feet on each side. Seating would be around 7 people.
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hi Simon! Do you have a large family? If so, I can understand your position, but if not, you already have a separate formal dining room, so not sure why you need such large breakfast seating. Your call, of course, but seems redundant to me.

• Simon Mercieca
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    We are a family of 4 and occasionally have around 8-10 people come over for visits. Keep in mind we are also going to have 3 stools at the island
  • Simon Mercieca
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    We are a family of 4 and occasionally have around 8-10 people come over for visits. Keep in mind we are also going to have 3 stools at the island
  • ilesliemy
    5 years ago
    I personally dislike benches for any kind of comfort. As in not comfortable and the middle person is stuck there because it is really hard to get out. I vote no to a bench.
  • Mid America Mom
    5 years ago

I would go with the 72. Benches can be tough on people as they normally do not have a back.I was just at a party last night with bar height table and no back stools - it was not very comfortable.

• della70
    5 years ago

We have a 36" wide and it works quite well. It's a good size for everyday use. Larger parties are in the dining room.

• Simon Mercieca
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    espc10

What the length ?
  • della70
    5 years ago

About 54. It's a very old table which has an attached leaf. I don't know if it is a standard size anymore. We fit four very comfortably for daily use.

• lucky998877
    5 years ago

We also have a 36" wide dining table and it fits a nice size party around it (102" long...with extra 2x12" leaves if needed). Sure, I can't have a huge center piece if the table is set for dinner, but we don't use it daily so the width isn't a problem at all. There is still plenty of space for place mats etc .

• barbarapepper
    5 years ago
    Can you make the door swing outwards from the room to help free up some space?
  • alex9179
    5 years ago

With the door swing, a rectangular table can't be centered on the windows with the long side parallel. That also means that the light fixture(s) over the table will be off from all of the other fixtures. Is that something you'll like? If so, delete the chair by the exterior door. Worst seat in the house! ;)

Mrs. Pete was on target with her estimation of a smaller round table. That way it centers on the window, with any light fixture also centered, and allows plenty of room for traffic. Large gatherings should be accommodated in the dining room or outdoors.

• Simon Mercieca
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    alex9179 the windows measure almost 8 feet plus 2.5 ft wall on each side. A 6 ft table centered to the window will leave 1ft on each side. Correct me if I’m wrong. I think we have no choice but to go with a 6 ft table. Anything longer then that will interfere with the door and chairs. Would have been nice for the door to swing outside but builder disagreed.
  • Mid America Mom
    5 years ago

A wrench :-) My first inclination due to the door swing was to eliminate the door as an issue... by putting no one at the ends. Three across from three. This gives you the longest table choice and fills the space. Depending on where the legs/supports of the table are, and the width of the chairs, you could do this with a 7'/84"

• Simon Mercieca
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks Mid America Mom
    So today I had access to the house to give me a visual. This picture is a table that 72x38. Roughly 6x3 and it works well with plenty of room and still seats 6-7 people with the bench on one side.
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Move the door to the outside. It impacts centering anything, and it’s in the worst possible spot for traffic.

• Simon Mercieca
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The Cook's Kitchen
    Unfortunately it’s an exterior door and the builder told me u can’t swing it outside.
  • Mrs Pete
    5 years ago

So today I had access to the house to give me a visual. This picture is a
    table that 72x38. Roughly 6x3 and it works well with plenty of room and
    still seats 6-7 people with the bench on one side.

Until a person is sitting at the end of the table and someone wants to go out the only door to the backyard.

Could you go with a slider in this spot, which wouldn't require an inswing?

• katinparadise
    5 years ago

If you're in an area that gets snow, building code says the door has to swing in. It lets you get out in an emergency if there's snow up against the door and you need to exit in a hurry. If the door opened out, the snow would block it from opening.

• Mid America Mom
    5 years ago

Unless there is a code where you live prohibiting.. yes You can (making sure you have clearances etc). Builder might not (assuming this is not custom). I would close on the house and then hire someone that will. In the US you can even buy nice pre hung exterior doors, front of the house worthy, that swing OUT. One such one can be found at the big orange store. THIS is a nice white one.

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

I didn’t say make it swing out. I said move it. The adjacent living room perhaps? Somewhere else, for sure. Swapping a window for a door isn’t very difficult. Would need a floor plan to see where it could go.

• Simon Mercieca
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Here’s a floor plan won’t be possible. I spoke to my door guy and u can swing the door outside once we take possession.
  • GreenDesigns
    5 years ago

The connection to the exterior is pretty poor in this plan. Why isn't the window in the family room a French door or slider? And just get rid of that door in the breakfast area for a window. You'd get a much better connection to the porch and yard.

• alex9179
    5 years ago

I think that you're not seeing this in the same way I am. If the door swing remains as is, you lose that amount of space for seating. Did you open the door and check the lack of clearance with your mock-up? I assume that you want to use that exit, so the 30+ inches the door takes up when opened need to remain free of furniture. The table needs to be off center in order to include a chair at the end that won't get hit by the door, the table needs to be small, or no one sits at that end.

Of course, changing the door swing will help. But, as noted, that's not a good idea if snow piles up against it. You want egress in case of an emergency. When our house flooded last year, we had to climb out a window because of the pressure against the doors. Thankfully, we have a huge one (and they were above the water line) so we all fit through easily.

• Simon Mercieca
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    alex9179

Hi yes I did. The chair obviously pushed in will clear. Table will be slightly off centred though.
  • alex9179
    5 years ago

Exactly. Your previous reply to me about clearances wasn't taking into account the door opening into the room with a 6 ft table there. That door swing needs to be deleted from the measurements for seating. The whole left side of the room is for traffic. That scenario doesn't allow the table to be centered, which affects where the light will go (not centered in the ceiling above), which affects the sight lines you'll have of the fixtures.

• Simon Mercieca
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    alex9179
    So u suggest a smaller table? Damn door
  • alex9179
    5 years ago

Yes, as Mrs. Pete noted. You may not be bothered by it, but not having the light fixture centered over the table and in the raised area of the ceiling is something that would really bug me. You actually have a small area for seating when you take into account the architecture.

Edit: this is coming from someone who isn't married to symmetry. I can have a sink off-center from a window, I don't use matching side tables, etc. I do strive for balance.

• Simon Mercieca
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    It will be very close to centered. Here are the measurements I took today. The door lines up to the end of the window when fully opened so with the chair pushed in u will be able to open and close the door.
  • alex9179
    5 years ago

No chair on the door end. It can't be used unless you're all confined to quarters.

Try to find a table that uses something close to a pedestal base. It will allow you to squeeze in more people on the long sides when you need to. Legs will get in the way of that. For everyday, you can seat 5 comfortably and 6 if no one wants to go outside. I know that you want to have 3 people on a bench. I'm not sure who these people are, maybe they really like each other and will want to sit nice and close. My kids would be grousing about "you're touching me!". Adults will likely look for another seat ;) Just remember that a centered light fixture will not be centered over the table.

• Simon Mercieca
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Bench could sit 3 smaller people. 4 ft long but it’s going to be a lot more comfortable with 2. The table we found is from http://www.dinec.com/solid-wood-furniture.html
    With 4 legs.

We may have to reconsider a different table and put a hold on the order.

Any suggestions on a good manufacture. Looking for a good quality table that will last.
  • Sammie J
    5 years ago

I was trying to view the plan...do you have sliders going from your family room to the deck? If so, I'd swap the breakfast area door for a window - you really don't need a door there. That way you can get the table you want, center it, and have the light centered in the area.

• alex9179
    5 years ago

I wish I could give you a lead. I've been looking for a new dining table for months.

• Simon Mercieca
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Sammie Fortunately not I will have a couch against that window TV will be going over the mantle
  • Gerry
    5 years ago
    Can you put an 80” table long ways in you 9’ room with your bench and three chairs across. No chairs on ends. This will leave sides with access to door and still be centered.
  • MarleneM
    5 years ago
    I recall a dilemma a couple of years ago that had the same kind of issue, a small area and they needed maximum seating. Their solution was a square table, 54” square with room for eight chairs. Just thought I would mention it in case it might be a viable solution for you.
    Ezra Solid Hardwood 9 Piece Dining Set, Slate Gray · More Info
  • KK1000
    5 years ago
    Have you thought about doing L shape built in seating , that way you would be able to have more seats on two sides and you could have a bench on the opposite side and maybe one chair.
  • KK1000
    5 years ago
    Some ideas
  • artistsharonva
    5 years ago

Don't forget the spacing for the humans.

The door is the nemesis in getting symmetry with back window. If keeping door, then assymettry.

A rectangle table longer length coming towards kitchen, possibly a square or round, but it needs to be lined up towards the right of the room.

or an L bench with storage underneath.

• Simon Mercieca
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I think the table running the other way would be much better. The coffered ceiling isn’t really even with the windows either. The light fixture may have to be be moved to the right.
  • imhofan
    5 years ago

IMO your space layout and dimension is begging for a round table. You can position chairs around a round to avoid chair in front of your door.

Critical to position table centered w/your window and to have your center light repositioned center to window bank as well.

You have room for 54-60 " round. You could check out some of the square to round options available as well-- sq for the 4 of you and expand to large 60" round for 8 as needed.

Not sure where you live, but here is a great table I have seen that would work well in your space- great quality and finish as well and tons of finish options:

http://www.lorts.com/html/1173-5217.html

• Simon Mercieca
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    imhofan thank you I will show this to the wife.
  • PRO
    Lisa Stevenson Interiors
    5 years ago

I will use a 54'' table round or boat shape to cut the angles, it will also give a softer look the room and move around the table freely. 6 chairs will fit perfectly. If you need more space select a table w an extra leaf of 18'' that you could use for the holidays or when needed. Et voila!

• Sam Gorson
    5 years ago
    I have a square to round table and I love it.
  • Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

you aren't thinking about the normal use of the room. its best to get a table to comfortably seat your family to make the room feel the most spacious with leaves added for guests. check sites for dimension advice. you need to look at it not as a large table will fit but as when everyone is seated can you still walk around it comfortably. you don't want people to have to squish themselves into a chair and have to get up to let someone else in. you can really only look at the space available when the door is fully open as your useable space. i copied this from a different site.

Table-to-Wall Clearance

When deciding on your table dimensions and size, it’s important to measure table-to-wall space. You’ll want to leave enough space for diners to get in and out of their seats easily. The rule of thumb is to leave 42-48 inches between the table and walls. If you have a buffet or hutch (I'm inserting door swing here) in the dining room, the same rule applies but instead of measuring from the wall you’ll want to measure from the front edge of the buffet to the dining room table.

• Simon Mercieca
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Cheryl Smith thank you!!!
Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996