0

Veggie Tales - January 2019

Jamie

It’s the beginning of a new year! It‘s time to start thinking about the spring and getting our plans finalized. It’s sunny here in the Mid South and a little cool, but there are still plenty of greens under the row covers in our garden. Our spring bulbs are also starting to poke through the surface. It won’t be long until warm weather arrives for everyone!

Comments (1.3K)

• cindy_7

Tony - Do you have any sorrel growing indoors now?

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

John - If you run over to Punxsutawny on Saturday and shoot that dang whistle pig before he sees his shadow we can all plant out early this spring!!!

• cindy_7

Chris - Thank you so much!! You didn't need to do this at all. And it's a variety I do not have. What are the odds?

I actually enjoy sending out seeds, and don't expect anything in return.

Thank you, again.

• Chris (6a NY)

Cindy - I think Tony wants more seeds lol He was mentioning being bummed about not getting more free Brunswick cabbage seeds.

Tony - Sugar Rush Peach is VERY prolific. The packet of seeds I have isn't actually mine. A friend purchased it and asked me to grow some for him. But I will also check to see how many there are and I'm sure my friend wouldn't mind parting with some.

Do you want any Habanada seeds? I think I have a decent amount left.

Edit: Cindy - you are always so generous in giving us all seeds, so THANK YOU! That was a variety of tomato that I mentioned from the exclusive Galaxy Suite tomatoes that High Mowing Seeds offer. You mentioned the Midnight Pear looked good, so I hope you like it! I've decided to add it to my list of tomatoes to grow this year. Enjoy!

• cindy_7

Jack - I have a solution for you before you get to be 90.

Write the color of the fruit on the package.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Cindy - good idea! But I'm already partially colorblind so it really doesn't matter much. Remember I couldn't tell a Orange Jazz from a yellow Pork Chop last year! I can't tell much difference between a Big Beef and a Rebel Yell either.

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa

Jack
    I'll give you the senior title. That Punxsie pig has more security than the pres.
    I just saw a quote:'
    "The best thing about senility is that when you get it, you don't know it."

I can't remember who said it!

Noon news: It was -5° in the burgh this morning, but it was -7° in Butler. I'm kinda between them, but closer to the -5° !

• cindy_7

Jack - All the more reason to write it down!

Like that one, John.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Maybe I should just write the variety on the actual tomatoes themselves! I plan to do that when I harvest to save seeds.

• cindy_7

Jamie - You may need to start the new February thread at midnight tonight so that there's no lag/down time. Just a little over nine hours left.

• Jamie

hahahaha! If I am awake I will do it! Otherwise it'll be around 4:45 tomorrow morning when I get up and am having my coffee hahaha!

I've had some idle time here at work today, so I've spent it looking through the list of seeds I have for this season and making sure that I have everything that I'm wanting to grow this year. I think this one is going to be the best one yet!

• Chris (6a NY)

Haha I'm going to check the February thread at 10:00am tomorrow and there will be 247 comments already.

• itsmce (zone 6b, Kansas)

It seems I mentioned recently something about growing veggies in landscaped beds. Well, of course, that has me back on the Baker Creek website! I already grow some ornamental peppers to put out in one section of a nearly full-sun bed. I think I'll pull the trigger on the lemon spice jalapeno that Tony (of course) showed us all a few days ago. They would be a pretty back-drop to the other peppers that go out there. I don't need any more pea seeds, but Baker does have a snow pea that I might try. I really should inventory all the seeds I have bought this year....

• 14tomatoes_md_7a

Yeah Margi, blame Tony for everything...even when you showed us the lemon jalapeno! lol

We are snow pea addicts, and have tried nearly all varieties. The best are Oregon Sugar Pod II Snow Pea 1/2 LB!!! Short (30" tall) and super productive plants. 50 DAYS FROM PLANTING SEEDS TO FIRST PODS! We grow 80 plants in the fall.

Tony

...and no more veggie seeds, no thanks, my wife will divorce me....

• cindy_7

I'm with you on that, Margi.

I have my Rhubarb in a flower bed as well as my chives and garlic chives. Think a deer attempted to eat a rhubarb leaf when I first grew it but they don't mess with it anymore. Will be planting my leeks and onions in one of them too. I would like to put more edibles there but not sure what else the wildlife would not eat.

I have a flower bulb named Camassia. Native tribes used to eat the bulb roasted or dried and ground into flour. So did Lewis and Clark. I actually expected the deer to eat the flowers, but it doesn't happen. It's in the asparagus family. It's a lovely flower cluster but doesn't last long if it gets too hot.

So, has anyone here eaten it?

• itsmce (zone 6b, Kansas)

Tony, It was a safe bet that you'd initiated discussion of the lemon spice jalapeno. Since you jogged my memory, now I remember I saw it in an email and I passed along the info to this group. Sorry, it wasn't right of me to accuse you. I will change my pea order to the Oregon. That one that I linked caught my eye because it said 'dwarf'. I can't accommodate a tall pea. Looks like the Oregon one is that way too.

• 14tomatoes_md_7a

LOL on the safe bet ....

• 14tomatoes_md_7a

Margi, get the 1/2 lb (good seeds, last for a few years).

• 14tomatoes_md_7a

I can use some Brunswick cabbage seeds -- anyone have extra -- Cindy, Margi, Richard, Jack, Kevin, Jacob, Chris...?

• jacoblockcuff (z6 NW Arkansas - Hz7 - Sunset z35)

Tony, I could send you some. I have various packets from previous BC orders lol

• 14tomatoes_md_7a

Jacob -- lol

• 14tomatoes_md_7a

Since my wife nixed all veggie orders for the next 27.5 years... I can get away with buying these... since they are herbs... right?

Thyme

Sage - Broad Leaf

Marjoram

Fenugreek

• itsmce (zone 6b, Kansas)

Hmmm...1/2 pound? But I only have room for a few. Perhaps.

Herbs don’t count as veggies, I’m just sure of it.

Yay!!! Look what I found on my front porch.

Yep, I can share my Brunswick Cabbage with any interested parties! It didn’t make the grow list And I may be about to get another new package of it.

• Kevin Zone 6b - PIT, PA

Itsmce - What all did you get?

I received a splurge purchase (er...business expense?) from GHMS today too! A bunch of "wiggle wire" for the hoophouses, 10 pack of 128 cell flats, 10 pack of 200 cell flats, and a case of 4 inch sheet pots (which will be used for potted up tomatoes and peppers). I am a little disappointed that I didnt check the description on the sheet pots - I was stupidly thinking they would fit inside of standard 1020 tray. If I would have just looked at the picture and saw that they are three pots wide by five pots long I would have realized that three 4 inch pots are bigger than 10 inches. Duh. Oh well, they should fit decently in the 24x12 inch stackable harvest trays I have.

• cindy_7

Kevin - Can you post a photo of your 24x12 inch stackable harvest trays, please?

• Kevin Zone 6b - PIT, PA

Cindy - sure! I misread though (geez for an engineer youd think Id be better with numbers). They are closer to 14x18 so still not extremely efficient.

• cindy_7

Kevin - Thanks. Are they also from Greenhouse Megastore?

• Jamie

I placed an order with Greeenhoise Megastore today also haha

I needed some 1020 flats and peat pots. They seem to have the best prices on things like that- they even beat amazon.com on the things I’ve compared.

• 14tomatoes_md_7a

Another great pepper from Poland --Jack, Cindy, Margi, Kevin, Chris, RD...only $3....

https://www.rareseeds.com/rewia-pepper-/

• cindy_7

Tony - I have seeds for that carrot, from Pinetree.

• 14tomatoes_md_7a

Cindy, nice color match with the Zulu pepper

• xclumsygrdner
    Wow that's amazing. I bought it.
  • 14tomatoes_md_7a

Yeah, definitely amazing carrot slices!

Tony

• Jamie

I’m growing those Black Nebula Carrots this year also. I chose them because they are high in anothocyanin and because they are pretty haha!

• cindy_7

Did any of you get a notice from Houzz that your data may have been "obtained by an unauthorized third party?"

• 14tomatoes_md_7a

Purple Hungarian medium hot pepper -- any bites...?

...only $2.50.... :)

https://www.rareseeds.com/black-hungarian-p/

• cindy_7

Tony - Are you scrolling through the entire BC website looking to entice someone?

• 14tomatoes_md_7a

Lol -- got me!

• Kevin Zone 6b - PIT, PA

Cindy - I actually don’t remember where i got them. It wasn’t greenhouse mega store though. Thinking either uline or somewhere like that.

they are great for harvesting tomatoes.

Len NW 7a

Thank you Vegetable Fans for welcoming me into this energetic group. My DW is grateful as well because with 88 different packages of vegetable seeds I will not be underfoot much for the summer and fall at least. The dahlias are not so pleased as they now have to compete with food growing in every corner and crevice.

Leeks and onions are OK but had a rough patch when soil got too dry yesterday. Those lights really cook!

• Habanero King (zone 7a, MD)

Carrot seedlings have true leaves!

(they're flanked by green onions BTW)

• itsmce (zone 6b, Kansas)

Tony - I haven’t placed my order yet, but those peppers aren’t tempting me. Maybe that carrot though. I saw it when I was perusing the site earlier.

Kevin - My order included a couple bags of Promix, some 1020 trays and the 32 cell insert and a couple humidity domes. I’ve been doing seeds now for 9 years since my mother’s death and I have been using her previously used supplies all this time. I decided it was time I buy a few fresh ones. Was getting tired of finding holes in my trays. Those things happen after so many years of use. ;-/ Also picked up some netting that I hope will keep the birds off of the strawberries and then later the peach trees. A few other things that I can’t think of at the moment.

The pelleted lettuce seed that I started 2 days ago has sprouted. :-)

Len NW 7a

Habanero those vegetables look Really Healthy!

Enjoy the new toys Marci!

Len NW 7a

Cindy I got that notice...Orwell did not forsee that Big Brother would be a corporation.

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan

I got the notice, too. I'm not sure what info is available. It doesn't seem like I gave much info....but that was a long time ago.

Good night...and good bye to January.