Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jila

Shelving next to fireplace? RH options

jila
5 years ago
I asked for help a while back with ideas for a built in next to my fireplace. I got awesome suggestions and have met with a few contractors but the depth of my fireplace is causing issues with the built ins I wanted. Now I’m thinking a freestanding shelving unit. My wall is 83 across and my ceilings are 10 feet so I need something big.

I’ve looked at Restoration Hardwares Parisian Cornice Double or the Machinto Four Door. Anyone have opinions of either or can help me add the picture so I can visualize what it looks like? Thanks!

Comments (28)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

Take the TV off the fireplace get a nice stand for it on the left of the fireplace put it on an articulating arm and forget the shelving period. Add a great piece of art above the mantel remove the chair in the corner add some art on the right hand wall and add a long sofa table behind that section of sectional to be able to be used for drinks or get an actual coffee table

• jila
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you but we don't want to move the tv. We are going to keep it there. Appreciate the advice though. I like the idea but we are set on keeping the tv there because it is in the center of our sofa and can also see it from our kitchen.

• PRO
    None
    5 years ago

Just finished my hidden door bookshelf

• erinsean
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I would forget the shelving unit....pull your chair out of the corner and put a pretty end table and lamp there with it.....much better for having conversations with friends. You could put a long vertical piece of art work there also if you have something.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

The wall isn't suited to a BUILT IN. Floating shelves could look great. That's why you are struggling. You want it shallow, no more than sixteen inches deep, and "free standing". Your can buy it, but the highest you are going to find is 84 inches. You don't want to fill more than 66 inches of that width.

Cluster three of these, or have something built. Call it book shelves if you like. Do an adaption and treat it as furniture that can be moved. Three together as below, and not to be crapped up with a million doo dads.

No RH fan here, sorry. Were it me? Floating shelves.

https://www.arhaus.com/furniture/living-room-furniture/all-living-room-furniture/curiosity-modular-five-cubby-cabinet/?FinishName=NATURAL&;

• felizlady
    5 years ago
    Would you consider putting a frame around the tv so it isn’t so stark against the wall?
    You may want a storage piece to the left of the fireplace.
    Add window treatments and art.
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

I have to say I agree with Patricia about moving the TV, but I will go get the RH shelves and put them next to your fireplace so you can see what they look like. I might come up with some other options, too. I would for sure move the chair out of the corner, whatever you decide to do. Back in a bit...

• smitrovich
    5 years ago

I would choose something that is a similar size to the doorway to the right of the FP. The Parisian Cornice Double looks too large. Is there a single version?

jila thanked smitrovich
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Photoshops don't come without opinions, so here is one. Those shelves like the Parisian cornice with the crossbraces in back remind me of utility shelves that belong in a garage.

• PRO
    Oakville Real Estate
    5 years ago

Something like this.

jila thanked Oakville Real Estate
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago

Parisian Cornice has different sizes. I think it would be good scale with size 72x97

• jila
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Tatjana thank you so much! I have a hard time visualizing but that helped so much. You are right- I don't think the Parisian ones look good. I will check out those Arhaus ones someone else suggested. Ugh. I really had my heart set on a built ins but our contractor doesn't seem to think what I wanted works. Also, I am definitely getting window treatments. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Keep them coming. I need all the help I can get :)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

No. Ugh. Hate it. You set yourself up : ) for the problem. One tall and neutral piece of art and forget the ENTiRE IDEA shelf anything . Looks forced. I don't even like my first or second idea.

Do art..........vertical and large. 57 x 76" below, Make a palette of the entire wall. Cheaper than a

collector of clutter . Float the chair on the other side of hearth. Done.

https://www.horchow.com/John-Richard-Collection-Veil-Giclee-Canvas-Art-by-Mark-McDowell-/cprod141770124_cat000094__/p.prod?icid=&searchType=EndecaDrivenCat&rte=%252Fcategory.service%253FitemId%253Dcat000094%2526pageSize%253D120%2526Nao%253D240%2526Ns%253DPCS_SORT%2526refinements%253D&eItemId=cprod141770124&cmCat=product

• jila
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I think I love you Jan Moyer! Here's my other issue--- I really want somewhere to display "stuff". What about the idea of a floating low built or a freestanding cabinet like groveraxle suggested in the last photo above and a vertical picture above it? Would that work? I have even thought about blowing out my fireplace and starting over but would rather not if I don't have to.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago

Here is with TV console

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I'm sorry, $2000 for a 57 x 76" giclee is outrageous. Of course, it's from Horchow. If you want huge art, look at art.com's loft art and wait for a sale.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Want me to lie? It isn't going to look good. The left of the hearth, needs the same uncluttered sensibility as the hearth. What stuff? Where are OTHER spots in your home? You "made" this decision, when the coffering and built in AND hearth, were not considered as one cohesive design. Lets look for other possibilities, because if you were my client? I'd tell all as above standing right in that room: ) No lie.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

Consider the 96" tall wall mounted bookshelves from CB2. Comes with or without the base cabinet

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

7 ft square giclee from art.com for $439. 45% off sale going on right now, if you want to look. Don't worry if you miss it; they have them all the time.

https://www.art.com/gallery/id--d534331/loft-art.htm

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

UGH. Sorry. : ( And when you go to the trouble to coffer a ceiling ? Don't compete with your own detail. Fine, you don't want to pay 2k for "art". that was there for example. The last thing I'd slap up is a bright anything. I'd make a composition of the entire wall. In tone.

Even the unit Groveraxle shopped in...........ALMOST works ( minus the industrial x back , with the doors painted black. Sorry.it's Sunday kids......use your imagination. But it makes a composition of the wall including the door. No it doesn't work in white, as it just looks.......cheap.

So look below, and take that X back away. Your "stuffffffff" would need to be at least that edited.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Not bad above, with the top one and bottom one out. Beverly, work a little magic there wouldja? Humor me? : ) Pretty please? A little more space between mantel and each? Double the pretty please.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

What makes that work is one shelf acting as mantel. Love to see it as just three......maybe Beverly is doing that. Helllloooooo?? Hope she didn't go to bed!!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

• PRO
    Oakville Real Estate
    5 years ago

Now with some items on it. I would paint the wall behind a darker gray.

• PRO
    Rococo & Taupe, Inc.
    5 years ago

The problem is first with the unfinished look of the fireplace and the small proportions of it and the tv compared to the over all wall. If you had put the same stone up the wall to the ceiling and aligned it with the coffers it would give more weight to the end of the wall. I agree with the comment to put a frame around the TV to get it a little more detail too. I think then IF you really want shelving next to it on the left I would balance it out with some accent color on the wall behind it that would also be on the wall of the door to the right of the fireplace. Its just doesn't look like a finished design and I dont really think just putting shelving by itself would solve it.

Hire a designer to come help you fix it.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Kudos to the shop work. No need to paint a wall, sorry. All that will do is make a lopsided thing out of what probably is the best looking thing you can do. As below. Night night : )