Software
Houzz Logo Print
swilson0384

Master Closet - Should I add doors inside?

7 years ago

I am building a big walk in closet in our master bedroom and I am having the closet done and they are asking if I want pretty doors on the inside of the closet to hide the clothes etc.

1. I love the way it looks but is it practical?

2. If you store your clothes behind pretty cabinet doors do they get musty?

3. do you end up leaving the doors open all the time anyway since you are going in and out to get the clothes?

Comments (13)

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    How big of a walk-in are we talking? Adding door inside of a closet seems redundant and would eat up more space. If it was more of a dressing room maybe.

  • 7 years ago

    I would only add interior doors if the closet were big enough to have a center storage island or ottoman for seating. -- A dressing room more than a walkin closet.


    Maybe glass door but most likely no since you want things to be easily accessible.





  • 7 years ago

    Size of the walkin??? is it for display purposes only or; what the rest of yr house space like??


  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I have no idea why you would want to hide your clothes in a wak in closet , it is a closet there are clothes in it no brainer.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Speaking as a closet designer the short answer is "No" you don't need it.

    The long answer is "Yes" if you want it. How big is the closet? I assume your are working with the closet design company? If it is contractor or builder they won't consider the details of the space in terms of clothing width, shoe storage math, handbags.


    The Rule of Thumb is you need a 24" D Panel cabinet to doors to cover clothes.

    This takes up way space in the closet so do you have see if you have the room. And then you have to leave a space for the doors to open.


    And of course the big question is what is your budget? It's not loaded question but one that most people can't answer --because most closet systems are custom cut --so there is not a "set price".


    A 10 x 12" room with doors over the closet in the most classic white would start at 15 -20K --for slab doors not glass or fancy options. The photos the other person posted (which are gorgeous) are more than likely 25K - 35K + closets.


    The attached photos are form job being installed. Remember it's not a finished job and not professional (to seduce photos). The client opted for some 24" D cabinets with glass doors, some open sections. This a big space 15" Long on one wall, and the closet itself is a quasi "L" shape. This project is 30K





  • 7 years ago
    I’m doing 2 of the tall glass doors as shown in the above post ^^ for displaying bags and shoes only, will not have any clothes in them.
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you for all the feedback. The space will be 10’ x 12’ but I don’t have stuff I really want to “display“ it’d be more like mirrored or glass doors to just look pretty. I think based on comments I’m leaning towards not having any

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I think I would hate doors inside a closet. They'd hide your clothes, making it more difficult to find what you want, and doors would add an unnecessary extra step in putting away clean clothes. For no real purpose.

    Glass doors make even less sense. They cost more than wooden doors, things behind them would look messy, and they still serve no real purpose.

    One exception: One closed door for evening dresses or suits could make sense. Why? Because it would keep those seldom-used items dust-free, and if you only have ONE door, you're not going to forget what's behind it.

    I've never understood the idea of "display" in your closet. It's a closet, a storage room.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    10x12 isn't a closet it's a bedroom lol! If it's that big, I just might consider doors on some things. Certainly you'll have drawers, right? So doors might be good for dressier or less-worn things, to help keep the dust off. Or to rotate seasonal clothing in and out of closed spaces to open spaces.

    Doors also give you an opportunity add a hook or knob on the outside to hang things on, and hooks on the inside for scarves, chains, belts, etc. And space on the outside for a mirror.

    I'm also thinking a cabinet for purses, to change them out, or will you use drawers for that?

  • 7 years ago

    My closet is 10'X12' and I don't have doors on my interior cabinets.

    I have double hanging rods on 2 opposite sides with one lower rod shorter so I can have long hanging clothes on part of the closet. We have a tower and corner cabinets on the wall opposite the door with shelves between the 2 for my shoes and 2 towers on the door side.

    I would like to have a trifold mirror I just can't figure out where to put it, so if you can arrange a cabinet with that, then that would be the bomb!!


  • 7 years ago

    I think it's one of those things that sounds like a great idea because it's so pretty and clean-looking, but in real life, day to day, it would get super annoying. How many doors would you have to open to find the item you're looking for? That's the first thing I thought of! I have a terrible memory and would annoy myself so much having to open every door to find the item I want. If it were my closet - I'd go with open clothes hanging, but adore the idea of drawers to help organize folded items!! Then I think it's easier to have a drawer for intimates, a drawer for pj's, a drawer for workout clothes, etc. Good luck!!

  • 10 months ago

    I realize this post is old but for people like me -asking the same question now-here’s my 2 cents- I have a small walk in closet exactly like the pic Ronna posted above (long and narrow) and I want to re-do it (as it’s old and needs to be done) but I desperately want doors - the dust is ridiculous. I clean my house every week and yet the dust in the closet is a nuisance. I have plastic shoulder covers (ugly) over each row of hung clothes and it helps but it still bothers me. I am hoping I have room for a deeper row of hung clothes on on whole side with doors and a narrower row of covered shelves on the opposite side.