Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evalunadesigns

what to do with this wall?

Eva Luna
5 years ago
Slowly but surely my living spaces are coming together! Thanks to everyone that has helped!

Here is my next design challenge. What’s an interesting thing I can do with this wall where we currently have our monitor/tv?

One of the goals is to hide the monitor so that it isn’t the first thing you see when looking at it. We seldom use the monitor and dont want it to be the focus of that wall.

Some ideas I have had:
1) build a gallery wall where the tv “gets lost”; issue: I already have another gallery wall
On the adjacent wall and worry it would be too much gallery for the small space.

2) bookshelves: either built in (expensive) or those modern looking etageres that go from ceiling to floor (also expensive) and don’t really provide a space for the TV hiding

3) a nice accent vanity/table cabinet with doors where I can put the TV inside and some painting or lamp on top. Accompanied by a nice loungy chair to the left of it.

What do you guys think?
Any other ideas!?

Thanks!

Comments (33)

• ilikefriday
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I would do another gallery wall. I think its fine to have multiple gallery walls in the same room.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I would get rid of the shelving that is way too high anywway, get a nice TV stand and a bigger TV.

• Eva Luna
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks Ilikefriday! That looks pretty good. Still not sure that the space wouldn’t look too busy, my two living spaces face each other and my tiny entryway is right there too and there’s a lot of patterns and pictures in all the other walls. I have some spare frames and will try the set up in real time and see how I feel.

Thanks for the photoshop picture, it helps so much to visualize things!
  • Eva Luna
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks Patricia. I would be into getting a long short console, especially to keep away baby thing as this is her play area.

However, we don’t want a bigger tv as we don’t watch much tv. Just a monitor for mom and dad to watch an occasional movie and catch up on game of thrones ;)
  • Eva Luna
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Here are some cool ideas I have seen online. My favorite is the triangles with the black section.
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

What is on the wall opposite the TV? Where does that door go? Why are your window trim and baseboards yellow? What exactly is this space?

And yes, I think another gallery in what appears to be a tiny space would be too busy. In fact, the current wall is way too busy with the tiny TV stand and the shelves and a table lamp on the floor.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

it wouldn't hurt to go slightly bigger on the tv. what you have looks dwarfed w/everything else.

Ikea is an option

check out UrbanWallDesigns

• Eva Luna
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Grover hi! There’s a sofa on the other side. This is the next space I’m working on so nothing here is permanent, just place holders, I had put those shelves there to try to visualize a bookshelf. The lamp is there because I need light. This space is basically where I sit on the floor and play with my baby. I imagine having floor pillows available in addition to my sofa.
  • Eva Luna
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Oh! And the mirror on the floor is also for playing with baby. She loves looking at herself.

Getting a bigger monitor is not an option. I’d prefer to get rid of it entirely rather than getting a bigger one.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

if that's the case then just make it an accessory to that entire wall instead building around it like a focal point.

• Eva Luna
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Exactly, but how do I do that without making the wall look too busy? Built in bookshelves? And have a cabinet with doors for the monitor?
  • Eva Luna
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Lol! Love how you finished the trim for me! Looks great finished!! :)

Yes!!! I was also thinking about that; getting a huge artsy something and have the tv be the afterthought in a corner of the console. Doesn’t look so bad! Rather than open shelves at the bottom, I think I’d do a combination of shelves baby can access and doors so it doesn’t look too crowded.

Thanks!!
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Hi, Eva. I remember this house now. It has kind of an odd layout with two "living" rooms adjacent to each other.

I know you'll hate to hear this, but how about moving the gallery to the TV wall and putting the mirror where you have the gallery?

• Eva Luna
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yep! You helped me find a rug! Ha!! I had it like that for a while. The mirror was actually hung to parallel the window and , yes, as guessed, everyone here hated it. I guess I could try it again, maybe a different mirror? More elegant? Here is the old pic:
  • Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    Love the art over tv on shelf. Some ideas
  • Geneviève
    5 years ago

I prefer groveraxel idea.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

• Eva Luna
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I like the first one the best Grover! Looking at how to get a large art print that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg!

Really like this one for its simple lines:
  • M G
    5 years ago
    I was you once upon a time.

I know you are probably rolling your eyes at all the people saying get a bigger tv. I was in your exact same position.

GET A BIGGER TV. Either that or throw it in the closet or cabinet and only bring it out if you really need to once a month or so. But let’s be realistic, you probably watch it more than you realize and you don’t want to be pulling it out and putting it away constantly.

You are straining your eyes to see that far on a tiny monitor and it’s uncomfortable... causing you to project that feeling of just ‘ugh’ onto the space. Like I said, I was you once upon a time. I didn’t realize it. My boyfriend ruthlessly mocked me for my tiny tv, my friends visited and also gave me s—t. It was about the same size as yours. That bf bought me a bigger tv and while I cursed him then, I know now he was right. (Granted it was the only thing he was right about and he’s been an ex fo many many years now.) Sorry, back to your space.

A gallery wall with your current tv is too busy and will just continue to stress you about about the space. I can feel it in your writing.

That space could be an adorable cozy nook... with a more inviting experience watching movies, reading on the loveseat, etc.

Get a lower tv console or coffee table against the wall. Place a bigger tv (48-52inch) on the right side on the tv table and at an angle in.

Throw a few random art pieces on the wall ( or keep those shelves) and place a plant (or that mirror) there next to the door to match the height of the tv. I think what I did in my home will work there. (Pic below)

Then on the adjacent wall, put your bookshelf. The gallery wall can go behind the loveseat. On the opposite wall put your loveseat. The dude was right when he said a rug ties the room together. Get a reading lamp for the loveseat.

The space will feel so inviting that it won’t matter that the tv is bigger and not hidden.
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Eva, that print you like is a digital download. It's about $7 and comes in different resolutions allowing you to print it at a size up to 24 x 36". The expensive part, of course, is framing. I have ordered these frames in bulk before: https://www.frameusa.com/wood-frames/colori-medium-picture-frames

A 24 x 36" is about $35. Not sure if you can order just one.

• Eva Luna
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Dear Meggie, hehe, your post did crack me up :) but I do have to disagree; I don’t mind the small screen at all! We just came back from vacation and the Airbnb had a big TV that just ended up giving me a headache to watch. I love the little screen.
  • Eva Luna
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Grover! I wanted to get something slightly larger, maybe 40” wide? Where do you order the prints once you have them digitally? Staples?

What do you guys think of something like this? Not sure it fits my aesthetics but it sure looks lovely.
  • babophz
    5 years ago

Hi Eva Luna (loved that book!), I'm with you on the small tv. I upgraded my 26" to a 32" a few years ago and that's about as far as I would like to go. However, husband and daughter now really want a bigger tv and like you I'm thinking about a cabinet with doors. I think it would be a good solution for your room because it's a relatively small space and you already have the gallery wall. Make sure that the tv doesn't end up being too high for comfortable watching from the sofa.

• User
    5 years ago

Make sure to remove that mirror or hang it on the wall when your baby starts crawling and walking.

• Eva Luna
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    How about something like this? Only 53” high si not so big for the space. A simple art piece above it, an armchair next to it?
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Since your style is kind of quirky eclectic, how about an antique Chinese wedding cabinet from Chairish? I've always loved these for their bold simple style.

• pat1250
    5 years ago
    Following
  • erinsean
    5 years ago

We have our 36 inch TV in an armoire in our spare bedroom and can hide it away if we want...seems it would be ideal for you.

• ndingoho
    5 years ago

What can I do with this long living room white walls. I need some great ideas on wall hangings, or any DIY options I can work on to improve this space.

• Eva Luna
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hey Grover, just for kicks and giggles and if it wouldn’t be too much work for you....would it easy for you to make a photo opp using one of the walls techniques I posted. Just curious to see how that wall would look like?

If it is a pain, don’t worry about it.
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

It might look something like this:

• Eva Luna
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Wow thanks!! I actually quite like it! Still think it’s too busy for the space but maybe one day!