0

white branches on redwood tree

Home Sweet Home
Hello, can someone please help me identify the problem to my redwood tree? It has white branches, mostly on the bottom of tree. Is it just dead branches? Or some type of disease? Please help!

There is a phenomenon known as albinoism that can be present with redwoods. But I'm not sure it would present like that. Does the discoloration rub off at all?

• Home Sweet Home
    the discoloration does not rub off. It’s actually breaks right off and crumbles easily as if it were dry.

Can you post a close up photo of a branch that shows the problem clearly?

• Home Sweet Home
    More pics...
  • Embothrium

Climate area? Cultural history, including recent climate events that might be relevant? If not something specifically weather related then maybe a soil/irrigation water minerals problem or a fungal blight.

If this is in California there might be an Extension Service branch office fairly close by where they would be able to tell you what this is. (You'll have to be able to take cut samples during weekday open hours).

Where are you located? I would suggest taking good samples of the afftected branches and foliage into your local extension service office for diagnosis. There is not much that bothers redwoods but they are a foliar host to Phytophthora ramorum and depending where you live that could be an issue, not with them but with other susceptible species.

What I could find of online examples look much like your photo. But that is not a diagnosis I would care to make without benefit of a professional plant pathologist :-)

• Home Sweet Home
    Central California

Then I would strongly suggest you take samples in for diagnosis. Phytophthora ramorum is Sudden Oak Death and that is a serious ongoing concern both with CA native plantings and in the landscape.

• Home Sweet Home
    Oh man I just read about sudden oak death and it worries me. We are suppose to lay sod next weekend so I wonder if I should just remove the tree
  • davidrt28 (zone 7)

this looks like the typical kind of burning seen on redwoods in the central valley...climate just too dry in summer if watering and exposure isn't perfect...a lot of them look bad once you go east of central Sonoma Co., and I don't know why they are planted. It's not that they can't grow fairly large, but for example, most the old ones at UC Davis are not something I'd want in my garden.

of course it could be something else

Don't do anything until you have had whatever it is confirmed or ruled out. Take the samples (and your photos) into the extension office for analysis.

• Home Sweet Home
    Thank you all for your help. I reached out to the extension office for a analysis the week.

I also reached out to a master gardener from the UC. They believe it could be a salt tip burn and recommended gypsum to help correct. I hope it works.