Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katiecraven

Curb appeal HELP!

Katie
5 years ago

We recently purchased a home that was built in the mid-90s and it could really use some sprucing up. I'd like to replace the front door (craftsman style is my favorite but I'm open to suggestions) and add shutters. Do you think doing those two things would improve the home's curb appeal? And if so, how do I choose the "right" door for the home (beyond what I just like) and the shutter color? Help! I'm lost. I would love your input! Thanks!!

Comments (15)

• Olga Kramar
    5 years ago
    Your house looks nice. It needs a talented landscape designer to turn it into spectacular. No craftsman style for the door, and most people are removing fake shutters.
  • km kane
    5 years ago
    Definitely yes remove that door! Craftsman style would be like very, but I really like the door Houssaon suggested (I have it myself, but with 18” sidelights. ) No shutters, but do think about some nice thick trim around the windows - that will look great with the door
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

That door has to go I like the simple one posted but you need major landscaping and no shutters and as much as I love trees IMO those are very imposing on the house maybe removing the two smaller ones by the front steps would help.I think you would run into some issues trying to add wider trim on the windows since most of them sit on the brick.

• missybtag
    5 years ago
    I agree with all comments, and I will add that your lights need updated, too.
  • loobab
    5 years ago

Hi Katie-

Nothing wrong with your house at all.

I think the most important thing would be to improve your landscaping.

Why not invite DIg Doug into this thread. He's just a genius.

Replacing your whole door seems like a very expensive proposition. Is that really necessary?

Can you just replace the glass for more simple glass?

You can always put a shirred curtain on the inside for privacy.

A tall outdoor plant or tree in a pot on either side of the door would look nice.

I would put a nice thick natural fiber mat in front of the door, too,

Maybe when all else is done, replacing the side lights to coordinate with the light over the garage and the door hardware.

Another thing, and maybe some other Houzzers can chime in on this, I am not sure how I feel about the two ends of the house being two different colors, one cream, and the other plain brick. What does everyone think about this?

• km kane
    5 years ago
    Doesn’t look like privacy is an issue here. Glass door would open up the dark area. Agree about the trees, too
  • Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    5 years ago
    I hate to say it, but the first step should be to get rid of most if not all of those tall skinny trees in front of the house.
  • loobab
    5 years ago

Maybe they are nice in season?

• imsuzz
    5 years ago
    I think this type of door would look great
  • Brian Edward
    5 years ago
    I think you should go see a landscape designer and get a new front door. I agree cut down the 2 smaller trees
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

IMO your ranch home is too contemporary for craftsman. Maybe something a bit more transitiona. in style. Plus you need larger simply entry light fixtures.

• Katie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for your help and advice so far! We removed a small tree that was very close to the front of our home. I think it looks better but am now focusing on that awful door! I am leaning towards converting the single door with sidelights into a double door. The first picture I’m posting shows the way the entry looks today. The second picture shows the style of door and stain I love. What do you think? Will that work with our home? Is the stain (dark walnut, I believe) too dark? Obviously there won’t be that window or awning above the double doors, but you get the idea. THANK YOU!

• km kane
    4 years ago

How wide is the opening? It looks like u have a 36” door with two 12”sidelights. Double doors would be nice if they fit

• Irene Morresey
    4 years ago

Love this look among the trees, some inspiration