Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zacharys

Seedlings look sad

And it's making me sad. Overall, the growth is very pale, leaves are splotchy green/yellow and new growth is curled/stunted. About a third of them (the ones that look the worst) are growing in soil with fertilizer added, but once this started, I had been fertilizing with 1/2tsp per gallon on dynagrow foliage pro because it looked to me to be deficiency problem, but now I'm thinking fertilizer burn instead. They are still under lights in the basement The tomatillos which have the same conditions look fantastic, but they are basically just weeds that happily grow in pavement cracks.

I desperately want to plant these guys out, but with lows in the mid 30's all week, I will be waiting yet ANOTHER week, at least.

Comments (14)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    4 years ago

1/2 tsp (teaspoon) per gallon doesn't sound bad at all. Any chance they could be over watered....wet feet? They don't look great, but don't look horrible either. Hopefully the weather will turn soon, and maybe let them dry out a bit. If it makes you feel better stop the fertilizer.

• User
    4 years ago

I just got back from a trip to the garden center and your plant looks like the seedlings on offer right now. They have spent a little bit too much time in the smallish pots and should have been planted by now...our weather here in N. CA. has been unusually cold and rainy for this time of year. Your plant should be alright if you don't over water and fertilize. When you plant give it some really good amendments...

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the insight guys. I will try to keep them going for another week and hopefully it warms up.

I don't THINK I have been overwatering. They aren't showing any other symptoms, just this very poor color. I wait until the soil has dried and the pots are light. If anything, I feel as though I underwater them. But I suppose that some could be over watered since I water all of them at the same time. So some could still be wet while others are dry. I probably won't water them again this week.

• TOM A Z5a-IL.
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I've planted a lot sadder looking tomato plants than yours and gotten plenty of nice tomatoes! I think they'll do just fine once they are established outside.

• party_music50
    4 years ago

That's looking a little like magnesium deficiency to me... happened to my tomatoes once a few years ago. This site says to spray the leaves with an epsom salt solution, but iirc, I added about a tbs of epsom salt to a gallon of water and watered with it just once, then resumed watering with very dilute fertilizer as usual (MG), and it cleared right up.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Over the week, they now look worse. Some of the leaves have completely wilted and died.

My luck is that they are diseased, and since I don't know entirely what it is, I'm now worried about putting them in my soil and possibly contaminating it for years to come. Perhaps this year I just buy a few plants and chunk all these in the garbage. Really disappinting, I was looking forward to these guys...

• Labradors
    4 years ago

Zach, when you say that you planted them in "soil" do you mean potting mix or garden soil? If it really was garden soil, it tends to get compacted and can starve the roots of air (which is why it should not be used in pots). You might be able to rescue them by planting them in potting mix, and they will probably revive and be fine by the time they finally get planted in the garden.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Nope, it was bagged potting mix, not garden soil.

• User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

ZachS Did they get cold? It's been unseasonably cold and rainy here these past 10 days or so ( I planted them out about 3-4 weeks ago). My planted tomatoes look terrible, light green/yellow and wilted leaves, and I looked around at other gardens ( community garden) most all look the same. I'm going to leave them until it warms up then give them a little liquid fertilizer. They looked fine and were growing well before the weather change. Most tomatoes don't like extremes in temp...the only one doing well is a hybrid, the others are heirlooms and open pollinated types.

Your tomatoes don't look diseased to me but it is your call.

Original Author
    4 years ago

It was cold here all week, freezes every night since Monday and snow in the middle of the week. However, these guys have been indoors their while life, except for a little bit on Saturday and Sunday, which were in the 60's or 70's and sunny (they were kept in the shade). The problem began a couple weeks before that though, before they had spent any time at all outside.

I will have to take some new photos, the leaves have started to form some brownish necrotic spots and others have completely died. That is what made me start thinking disease issues.

• Labradors
    4 years ago

Glad to know that they were grown in potting mix, but I don't know what is wrong with your seedlings unless the addition of fertilizer simply put them over the top.

• User
    4 years ago

This is a shame... I know the feeling.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for your help and trying to figure this out. After going through them, I think I can slavage enough of them to grow a few of them, though I am cutting about 2/3 of the tomatoes I had planned on planting this year.

Might end up that our summer this year won'tmake for a very good tomato season anyhow, so maybe it's a good thing.

They will probably still be waiting for planting for another week again, supposed to get as low as 39º and thats up in town. Its usually several degrees colder here at the house...

• User
    4 years ago

Over fertilising can actually lead to nutrient deficiencies as imbalances cause various elements to become 'locked-up'...which looks to be the case here with a possible manganese deficiency. Generally, tomatoes don't really need much fertiliser until they start to set fruit. In our shortish growing season in the UK, we don't transplant outside intil late May/early June...and seedlings can start to look a bit ratty, tbh...but usually grow away as soon as they are in warm outdoor loam.