Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tllynn

HELP!!! Renter with paint color crisis! Need suggestions please.

Tania Sandage
10 years ago
After much searching I found what appears to be the perfect house for my long term rental. However all of the doors, baseboards, railings and cabinetry are of builder's honey oak tones, including a river rock fireplace in creams, browns and golds. And to make matters worse, the previous tenant's room painting looks like Crayola threw up all over. Going from room to room is jarring. I gravitate towards the cooler toned pallets and would love grays, blues and jewel toned colors. Even thinking about painting some areas black. But I'm lost trying to blend my tastes with the honey oak accents everywhere. Currently working on my family room with the brown river rock fireplace that opens to a bright red kitchen. HELP!!!!!!!!! I included pictures of the house, the furniture and other items will be moving out with the tenant...

Comments (12)

• Samantha Young
    10 years ago
    Will the landlord allow you to paint the trim?
  • PRO
    eLAN creative
    10 years ago
    If you like the gray tones, Dorian Gray from Sherwinn Williams has been a GREAT one for me on projects! It's what I would call a Warm Gray. In fact, I am working with a client now in a very similar situation to yours. They bought a home with honey oak stain floors and kitchen cabinets, flagstone fireplace with a grayish mortar, dark multi-color slate backsplash, and the previous people had a peach tan paint on the walls. Now we've painted with various intensitites of the Dorian Gray (they can mix at 50%, 70%, and so on so that you get the same color in different shades). Their wood floors and cabinetry now look so much richer against this color palette! And since their taste is similar to yours, it was the perfect compromise. I know you said you lean towards cooler colors, but in order to work around the warm tones in the wood work and stone fireplace, this might do the trick! They got the gray tones just on a slightly "warmer" side so that it blends beautifully! And, your landlord will have an IMPROVEMENT to the home in the process!
    Tania Sandage thanked eLAN creative
  • Tania Sandage
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Samantha - I wish!! Unfortunately I'm stuck with the honey oak. I have thought about trying to covertly stain the river rock so it isn't quite so brown and gold but I'm scared to pieces about ruining it.
  • Tania Sandage
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Julie and sfroe, Thank you so much for the suggestions! I have spent the better part of two days living on the Sherwinn Williams site "painting" my pictures. I actually painted the entire family room black which was my favorite look so far but don't want to have it be too crazy coming off of a red kitchen with beige countertops and white appliances. That's alot of color going on. Liked Mega Greige to neutralize the house a bit. I'll have to go play with Dorian Gray...
  • Samantha Young
    10 years ago
    Can you find a gray to compliment the gray grout? That might work.
    Tania Sandage thanked Samantha Young
  • Chem K
    10 years ago
    Looking forward to seeing your freshly painted black family room!
    Tania Sandage thanked Chem K
  • Tania Sandage
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Samantha, that was my goal with playing with Greige. I'm gonna try to sample the Dorian Gray to see if that will play up the gray grout a bit. @chemayne, Black is my favorite color. It is so full of drama and makes any color you put with it even more vibrant. If not the family room, SOMETHING is going black or at least an accent wall or two. I'd love to go crazy and do my future white on white on white master bath. Either way I'll absolutely post pictures. Just found this site and already I'm hooked!
  • Samantha Young
    10 years ago
    I've used this site for inspiration, but I didn't post anything until today. It's nice to have an outlet to bounce ideas! I've considered a black wall---lots of black in my house!
  • PRO
    eLAN creative
    10 years ago
    Curious @tllynn, what color did you end up with?
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    jamesthomas, LLC · More Info

Stay with creams and reds.
  • PRO
    ariaspaintingservices.com
    8 years ago

I think you should paint with a color like this