Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzzflwr1

Refresh 2 year old home

Suzanne Buse
4 years ago

Getting ready to paint entire home and hopefully add 2 additional windows where the clock is now.

The paint samples I have picked up are

Balanced beige

Shiitake

Accessible beige

Everything is sort of BORING,

I did an earlier post for backsplash advicue and decided to stay with what I have.

As you have probably noticed it is dark in the houseand the mega greige they used on the walls doesn’t help. NEED OPTIONS

Suzanne

Comments (11)

• Cheryl Smith
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I love your house and wouldn't change a thing. add a window if you want to bring in more light. But think about adding more interest by adding a bolder color to the mix. Yellow, red, orange, turquoise, green. It is very nice but maybe a little too "balanced beige"

• Suzanne Buse
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes we are looking at either windows over where the clock is or skylights or light tubes. I normally use either teal or coral or both for accessories. I’m having everything painted in July, just having problems with what wall color to use

• apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

How about a blue a shade lighter than your rug?

If you are tired of your decorative items, take them all down now, just like you were painting already, and see what you miss seeing in the month before the painting is scheduled. Using several large items can have a lot more impact than a collection of smaller things. It's a personal choice, no right answer.

• User
    4 years ago

I’m no pro, but how about white of some sort that goes with your molding? Most of my house is also greige and boring now. A few months ago, I painted a newly made room a creamy white, Benjamin Moore “Indian White”. I have Dunn Edwards Swiss Coffee on my molding and it’s a nice contrast, brightening things up. Adding windows or a skylight will help you too.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

Beige is not going to be less boring than greige. Why not try a light blue or sage green? Color means life.
    I love the bike up on the cabinets...it shows a sense of humor.
    It looks dark because, compared to all the light coming in thru the big window, it IS darker inside. If it’s still dark at night, add a floor lamp in the dark corners.
    I would bring the tv down closer to the table below it. It’s a bit odd to have it centered between two chairs, but maybe it’s the best spot for now.
    I always think that a giant clock indicates that guests must be aware of the time so they don’t overstay their welcome. If you removed the clock’s hands, it would indicate that they are welcome to stay! And it would be another humorous touch.

• njmomma
    4 years ago

Not a Pro.

I love the color on your walls and would wait till you put the new windows in to make a decision on paint color.

With that said. Pare down your decor. I love the bike on the wall also. So fun! but one is enough. Less is more when it comes to decor. Once you start paring down, the room won't feel so heavy.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I would begin by working with what you have. Your home is simply over accessorized...........by a lot. I really like your color scheme and would not spend money to change to another neutral.

I think this layout will work for your living room provided you configure your TV lower on the big wall.

The cabinet beneath the TV should be much lower.

I would also select a more simple dining set for your home. I would consider a round table with an option to expand.

• seregiel
    4 years ago

I see you have paint colors on your island. Do you love one of those/make a decision in that direction even if forgoing backsplash change? Use that to eliminate options of the wall color. Those choices are to be made together, not separate, and I think any of the bolder blues would look good towards a light turquoise/blue that others have mentioned.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

OP, are you looking to change the color of the island? If so, then the countertop should play a role.

• cineus
    4 years ago

I don’t think changing to beige is going to help. You need some color. I agree that light blue or a sage green would brighten up your space. If you are set on beige, I wouldn’t do it. I would accessorize with bold colors. Rug, pillows, art, etc. and keep wall color you have.