Software
Houzz Logo Print
patriciafb

Help with Master Closet layout

7 years ago

I´m almost done updating this layout with inspired closets, but I´m afraid I´m missing something or even doing it completely wrong! Any advise will be appreciated, thank you.






Comments (16)

  • 7 years ago

    To me it seems unnecessarily busy. You have 10 different places for hanging clothes! I am afraid I would spend a lot of time searching for things.

    A more streamlined plan would have wider hanging spaces, and group drawers and shelving.

    Have you calculated how much space you need for long things (slacks and dresses), how many shoe shelves you need, how much rod space for shirts and blouses? This, of course, after purging your closet of clothes that don't fit, that you don't wear, or you don't need. The rule in our house is if you get a new shirt, you have to get rid of an old one!

    I'm short, so I prefer hanging clothes as high as I can reach (this leaves me space for one shelf above), and shelves below, as you show on Wall 3. The high shelf is for out of season or rarely used clothing (like ski pants).

    My DH is tall, so a double rod for his shirts requires more space than a double rod for mine. Make sure your double hanging rods are appropriately spaced for your clothes.

  • 7 years ago

    My only feedback is to beware of "white space"....Rarely is as much clearance needed between shelves as people allow. If you tighten this up, you can often gain 1-2 more shelves. Ann is also correct, pay attention to what hangs where. My closet space at 5'4" looks very different than DH at 6'5". This is where adjustable racking make a huge difference.

  • 7 years ago

    AnnKH Thank you for your comment! I feel like I have too much of the same but again I don't like large shelves. They are difficult to organize. I would use them only for large sweaters. I am short so my knee length dresses would fit double hangers, but I added more sections for below the knee ones. What would you suggest? Yes, I purge my wardrobe regularly..I like to keep only what I still like, fits me. Still, if I don't see the clothes I don't wear them. Shelves sometimes makes that, specially when you are late and have to pick something in 5 minutes.

  • 7 years ago

    I asked for the high section on wall 3 for out of season clothes and shelves on the bottom that can be used for sweaters of shoes. I did this with just one section because I didn't know if I would regret the out of reach hanging space too much later. I have asked to modify the other middle length section on wall 3 to long dresses gowns. Should I invert the shelves like I did with the out of season section? they are adjustable height.

  • 7 years ago

    Anglophilia, hello. Yes, I'm asking for organizational tips actually :) Sometimes people have smarter systems than we do! For instance, I tried organizing things by color, but when I'm in a hurry and see a pile of black things that I don't know what they are, I go for something else! I also worry about the high shelves above the hangers because I'm short. If I store shoes there, specially inside boxes I would never wear them I simply forget what I own.. Maybe folded jeans? I was wondering what you do with that space. My bags are mostly small so they would fit the closed space.

  • 7 years ago

    zibbe, That is great advice, thank you. I'm not sure the shelves are adjustable. I'm going to ask them about that. They said if I need more shelves in a week or 2 after installation they won't charge.

  • 7 years ago

    Patricia, I usually pick out my clothes the night before - saves me the mad dash of what to wear in the morning, before I'm fully awake.

    I recently did an overhaul of our closets (DH and I have separate ones). We have a chest of drawers in the bedroom, so I was OK for drawers, but I added shelving for both of us. I use mine for jeans, shorts, sweatpants, shoes (not nearly as many as you show), heavy fleece tops (that take up too much room if they hang). I have a double rod. My few dresses are on a rack that hangs on the back of the closet door. The high shelf above my clothes is for out of season stuff. We live in North Dakota, so there is a big difference between summer and winter wardrobe.

  • 7 years ago

    is there an online site that you can submit wall, ceiling measurements, needs, etc and have this figured for you? I am in need of closet assistance also!

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    @love2cavies - you can check out easyclosets.com and do your own design, I believe. If you want it done for you, I'm a closet designer and can help. Please message me and I can learn more about your closet and quote a design fee. :)

  • 7 years ago

    I designed my large walk in closet and one thing I notice I use A LOT are my shelves for jeans, t-shirts, sweatshirts, workout wear, etc. I see you have lots of shelving for shoes but not any for clothing. When I designed my closet, I went to clothing retail stores to see how they design their clothing storage and they all use shelving for folded clothes. Drawers are fine for socks, undies, sleepwear, etc but open shelving for the clothing you use often is key.

  • 7 years ago

    AnnKH that's always a good idea. I asked for a rod to have the ironed clothes hanging the day before.

  • 7 years ago

    love2cavies If you find the website or app please let me know, I'll need it for the pantry as well (even more lost there, kitchen is not my territory)

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you, Krista, I'll check their website!

  • 7 years ago

    Brown dog, thank you for your advice! Maybe I should do that! Do you find your workout wear easily on shelves? mine gets messy pretty easily, but my shelves are deep and high, maybe that's the reason I don't like them.

  • 7 years ago

    Update. This is how it looks after installation. I really like it! But now I know what I should've done differently. I should have added thinner drawers (like the last picture) for jewelry and the hidden iron board.