Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maria_malzone

Help me with lighting a tiling a narrow half-bath

Maria M.
4 years ago

I'm renovating a small ensuite half-bath that measures ~6 ft by ~2.5 ft. The toilet sits against one short wall, the vanity/sink against the other, and there is a pocket door in the middle of a long wall. It will be shiplap (to 4.5 ft) with wallpaper above it (see sketch and details below).

I feel as though I should have a tile backsplash above the sink, but then the top edge will meet the wallpaper. Will this look weird? I could continue the tile up and around the mirror, but then where do I stop?

Also, the room will be wired for a single light fixture, above the mirror. The lights I've found that I like only come in a 3-light, 24" long version. Is this too wide? Would it look weird? Should I do something different with lighting? The wall is only 32" wide, so I'm limited.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Lighting: Duncan 3-light fixture by Golden Lighting (or similar)

Wallpaper: Seascape by Abigail Edwards

Mirror: 16" x 20" recessed cabinet by Allen + Roth

Vanity/sink: Ikea Godmorgan vanity with Odensvik sink

Floor (and backsplash?): Penny round tile in "Marine" blue

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Too much going on in a tiny space just forget the shiplap which BTW will make your space even smaller do wall paper everywhere it actually makes the space feel larger if you choose the right wall paper . IMO the vanity is contemporary, the penny tile traditional the wallpaper busy and boring and what connection is there to the blue for the other tile, I would look for a much more interesting wallpaper with some of the blue color from the tile and do the whole room in the wallpaper forget the backsplash in a tiny bathroom just be careful with splashing since this is your ensuite that should be easy. I guess the other question is what is your bedroom like since these two spaces are connected. I am nor seeing all these things working togwther in a tiny bathroom. I am finding the light but have no idea how that is working with the other items, What color are using for the vanity IMO you are not thinking overlal design but looking at a bunch of stuff you like and trying to work them all together. I would keep the flooring it is interestin go with a wallpapre with that blue in it a simple white vanity a modern light bar with a halogen 150 watt bulb I like the Oxygen light bar this wall paper could be fun

• Maria M.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Nah, I got the wallpaper years ago and I've been waiting to use it in a bathroom since. I love it and it's staying, YMMV. I'm not too concerned about the space looking or feeling small. My contractor suggested using a white tile that blends in with the shiplap, so I might do that.

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

A small bathroom like this is an ideal space to add something wonderful - maybe a vessel sink or a waterfall faucet or really special counter top material. Just don't do too much that it doesn't work with the rest of the house.

• Maria M.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Jennifer, I'm not really into any of those things. I'm going to be using this bathroom every day, so it really has to be functional. I like the Ikea sink because it is roomy and my wrists don't scrape on any part of it when I'm washing my face. I've looked at other vanities with nice countertops, and the sinks are just SO tiny.

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

It really needs to fit your style and your needs above anything else.

If you love the wallpaper it is the perfect wall paper for you.

If the sink is perfect and it is just you (an adult) using the sink, you could probably have no back splash at all. You can use a clear, acrylic wallpaper sealer to make it more water resistant.

Maria M. thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

As for the shiplap, it is a perfect complement when it fits the feel and architectural style of your home. If you have a beach cottage or modern farmhouse feel, go for it. If not, understand that it is a fad that will end and will look as bad as the 70s wood paneling in a few years. (There are some Mid century modern sprawling ranches with beautiful wood paneling that is perfect in these homes.)

My neighbors just added shiplap over their kitchen cabinets in a Mid Century Modern home. It doesn't fit the rest of the house, but they are glued to HGTV and were convinced that they need shiplap in their home.

• Maria M.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Jennifer Hogan I'm renovating an apartment (that I own), so there's nothing there yet for the bathroom to clash with or complement, but you can get a little bit of what I'm going for if you look at my bathroom and kitchen ideabooks. (And since guests won't see this bathroom, I'm not too worried about how it'll work with the rest of the house, though I don't think it's going to stick out like a sore thumb or anything.)

• Maria M.
    Original Author
    4 years ago
  • Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

You do lean toward modern farmhouse style. I think you will be fine with the shiplap and the light you just picked. Both complement your style.

I still think you could find a better mirror. The plain flat rectangle just feels builder grade in comparison to everything else.

If I had to live with you I would push for oval and a frame around the mirror, but it is ultimately your space.

I have a big, flat rectangular mirror - but my style is a mix of MCM and Scandinavian - clean lines, no bric-a-brac or ornamentation. Just have to finish flooring, adding the window frame and paint the doors and I will have one room fully renovated!

• Maria M.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Jennifer Hogan I agree about the mirror. It's small, though. I was thinking that I could just have my contractor install it and then put an oversized round mirror over it when I find one that I like (secret hiding place!).

• PRO
    JWCreative LLC
    4 years ago

Maria!

I don't see the sketch you are referring to. Could you send this to me?

• thinkdesignlive
    4 years ago

I suggest paper cut outs of the light fixtures and mirrors you are considering and then map it out on the wall. You said the width is 30” - that’s very small and ideally 1 light fixture above a wall to wall mirror will make the space feel larger. Maybe I misread the dimension but if not I don’t think you have room for 2 of the light fixtures you posted.

Maria M. thanked thinkdesignlive
  • Maria M.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@thinkdesignlive Good idea, but there's no actual wall yet! I think my contractor will put up the wall and do the plumbing and electrical on Monday. I will try to get him to hold off on the electrical if I can.

• Maria M.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@JWCreative LLC I would like to post the sketch in a comment (or in the original post, as I tried to do the first 15 times), but it's not letting me for some reason. It's a JPEG file.

• PRO
    JWCreative LLC
    4 years ago

@Maria M. I have noticed myself on here that uploading photos can take quite a while...Maybe try direct messaging me or shooting me an email!

• Maria M.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@JWCreative LLC I just uploaded it to my ideabook, if you want to take a peek.

• PRO
    JWCreative LLC
    4 years ago

@Maria M. AWESOME! I have a lot of feedback for you and I recommended sending me a private project inquiry! I can offer some complimentary consultation services. I would say that using penny rounds in this context will require expert advice to get right. Reach out... I can help make sure you get this bathroom RIGHT the first time.

• localeater
    4 years ago

I love your wallpaper choice!

What made you choose the marine blue penny round? Your ideabook is full of light/white bathrooms with punches of bold color, I feel like the marine blue is a little namby-pamby. What about royal blue? Or orange? What color do you LOVE?

As some others have mentioned, you could lose the shiplap and do the whole space in wallpaper. If you really want the shiplap, consider your ceiling height. You mentioned you are doing the shiplap to 54". that is high. What percentage of the walls overall height is that? This picture in your idea book has high shiplap but the ceilings are VERY tall. If your ceilings are not tall, it's not going to look like your inspo picture.

project cottingman · More Info

Maria M. thanked localeater
  • Maria M.
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@localeater Yes, the ceiling goes very high in that photo, but other photos show a higher shiplap with a lower ceiling. I just like how clean everything looks. I don't want to do entirely wallpaper to avoid issues of spills/stains/wetness on the paper. My ceilings are only 8 ft and there is a small window at about 54 or 60 inches, and I want the shiplap to reach the window trim. (I actually might go with a board-and-batten look instead.)

This is the tile. I might reconsider it because of the amount of grout involved, but I think the blues and gray-green are gorgeous. (I've been really into blues lately.) I also think the colors will tie in with whatever color I paint the bedroom, which may end up being a deep, murky green.

Shiplap Modern Bathroom · More Info