Software
Houzz Logo Print
deepa_chandramouli

Need help with Acacia hardwood flooring

13 years ago
Hello,
We are building our new home and have to choose a hardwood. I don't like oak because of its grain pattern. During our wood selection meeting due to constrained time and pressure to make all selections we ended up choosing Kentwood's Acacia natural hardwood. (See sample picture attached). My husband and the designer loved it, but after coming home and seeing some pictures online I am panicking that it will be too busy. We have chosen the Natural finish and it a low sheen flat finish. Please advise on how it will look and if you have installed these, I would love to hear how you like it and see some photos. I might have a day or two to change my order.

Thanks so much for your help
Deepa

Comments (24)

  • 13 years ago
    I work in a high-end retail store and we just had this same wood flooring installed in one of the rooms of the store and it's awesome! It's so beautiful and everyone comments on how nice it is. I will say that it started to show some scratches and light surface marks pretty quickly (it's in a high traffic area) so we had it coated with some sort of no-gloss sealant/protective coating and since then its been perfect. I plan to install this in my home some day.

    Cheers,
    David
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    This is a very subjective decision. It is purely a matter of taste. You need to decide how much "look" you want to come from your floor. Is it to be a standout element, or one that receeds to make visual space for other features? If you have doubts, put your order on hold. Wood flooring is a large investment & covers a large area. There are plenty of woods that have less grain pattern.
  • 13 years ago
    Poor lighting in previous picture. Maybe this is better. lol
  • 13 years ago
    Hey Jule822. I love your kitchen. I was thinking of going with white shaker cabinets in our new home. I'm curious if you have any issues with seeing the seams where the wood joins?
    I would love your input!
  • 13 years ago
    ahhh seams!! my husband thought i was nuts. I have seams around my sink that drive me crazy, you can avoid seams if you can get "inset" door style. With our budget we couldnt afford. I have full overlay doors and getting used to the seams lol
  • 13 years ago
    Not good pic but only one on my phone
  • 13 years ago
    @ Jule822- actually I'm referring to the seams ON the front of the door at each corner where each piece was nailed together to make the door. Do you have noticeable lines where the wood has expanded and contracted? I love your kitchen!
  • 13 years ago
    Good choice. Believe me you will love it.
  • 13 years ago
    If living on east coast or south have wood sit in your house for a few days before installing. So it can adjust to climate. If its engineered wood no need.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Deepa I have used acacia in two homes and have to tell you it can get busy. It has allot of patterning. Absolutely beautiful floors but you can really see the variations and grains. Maybe hickory select would be more to your taste?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I like it. I personally like the variation in tones that it gives off.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I just went through your idea books and if you go under "backsplash" "Oakley builder" there is a floor in that photo that is not Acacia but has a very similiar pattern density. If you like that you are good to go. Remember folks it's not about what we like but what she likes. Your other idea book shows alot of soothing, spa like interiors. This is my personal taste too. I would not use Acacia for my own home since it is too busy. But as I said before, put it in clients homes and for them it is wonderful.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for your help folks. I think I will not go with Acacia, it's beautiful but too busy for my liking.

    Any thoughts on African Mahogany? (Brass/bronze/henna). Love the gleam and subtle pattern. Is it hard to maintain?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I LOVE that wood. It has a beautiful flowing movement without the distinct color differences of Acacia. Very smart move.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Oh and the finishes that go on wood today are very strong.
  • 13 years ago
    Do you think it would show scratches and dust more easily because of its shine and dark color? The good thing is that it can be refinished but I have 2 kids and reasonable maintenance is also important.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Not really. Your choosing a low or flat sheen and that really helps. What drives my clients crazy is when they choose a dark almost espresso colored stain. That shows everything. But your looking at a color that is in the mid range right?
    Deepa Doshi thanked Fini Design
  • 13 years ago
    I am considering Brass or Bronze. See attached images. If all I need to do is choose a low sheen (cashmere instead of semi-gloss?) then that would be great. Because I love this wood, and the only thing remaining to figure out is maintainability.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Yes I think you would be much happier with the cashmere finish if that is what they are calling low luster. I'm jealous!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Say see the finish on the first acacia photo? That is what I think you will be happy with. A higher gloss will show crumbs and bits so much more.
  • 11 years ago

    Deepa, did you ever decide on your flooring? I am struggling with similar decision right now, leaning towards the acacia, for many many reasons, too many to list here :) I would love to know what you selected and how it looks, maybe post a pic?

  • 9 years ago

    Julie, please tell me the brand and name of the floor pictured. Is it smooth or hand scraped? I really like it. I have been looking at Acacia for my kitchen and family room but the retailer could not provide any room photos. Thank you!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Hi Sharon Shockey, we have smooth and hand scraped Acacia floors here.

    Find out more info about the flooring on http://aayersfloors.com/index.php/home/product/index/pid/15.html

    Hope you find this information helpful. Any help you need please let us know. We are here to assist you.