ruthz_gw

June Fotess swap.....Let's go Junking

ruthz

First of all, you must be a member of this group Friends of the Earth Simple Swaps (FOTESS)

in order to participate. If you are interested in joining, check with Jeanne (sandlapper_rose) about the requirements.

Now for the swap. Let’s go garage sale junking.

This swap doesn’t require you to go out shopping. You’ll just need to mail one package by the 26th.

junking , per Urban Dictionary

(The art of searching or shopping for bargains, antiques, collectibles, or any conceivable kind of dust collector or garbage.)

To join in, post a list of 6 or more items. Pictures would be great.

Use anything you might put in a garage sale.

First bingo winner will shop (go junking) first, second winner goes next and so on.

As each of you bingo, choose just one garage sale to shop from. Pink out 4 items from that garage sale. That garage sale will then be closed.

Post your list/pictures and send me your bingo words by the 9th.

Bingo words will be pulled the 10th thru the 24th.

Mail items no later than the 26th.

Please choose 15 words from below and email to me no later than the 9th.

Applesauce Cake Day

Best Friends Day

Dare Day

D-Day, WWII

Flag Day

Forgiveness Day

Fresh Veggies Day

Herb and Spices Day

Hug Holiday

Hug Your Cat Day

Ice Cream Soda Day

Iced Tea Day

International Fairy (or Faery) Day

Monkey Around Day

Name Your Poison Day

National Flip Flop Day

National Gardening Exercise Day

National Kissing Day

National Weed Your Garden Day

Old Maid's Day

Paul Bunyan Day

Red Rose Day

Sun Glasses Day

Take a Road Trip Day

World Environment Day

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska

first blanketflower!

Best Answer
  • smitties

Received my box from Breanne with all the goodies nicely packed. She even included some scentsy scent circles. I’ve not tried these so anxiius to see if they hold thei scent better than other brands.

Thank you Breanne.

• amybabyboy3

Ruth, your package went out today!

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska

Okay, thanks. I'll give up the purple jewelry set and I'll get Shirley's items in the mail!

• canyonwind

Amy, your "JUNK" is on the way........Enjoy!

Margo, thank you so much for the Happy Birthday card....and seeds too...Chinese Houses, Shiso Red and Radicchio Pella Rossa...nice selection.

What a fun month this has been........Thank you Ruth.

Happy Evening!

Annie

• BenLovesBeets (Zone 7b)

Margo,

I am glad you like your "Junk." I currently have an abundance of scent circles due to the fact that I won a gift basket with several, and my husband won't put the food smelling ones in his car because they make him hungry, and for the same reason I don't like to hang them in my closet LOL. I hope you like the food smelling ones as much as I do!

I am trying to come up with some fun ideas for next month ya'll. It will likely have some sort of freedom theme! Thanks for a really fun swap this month, Ruth!

• amybabyboy3

Happy Birthday Annie!

• sandlapper_rose

Annie, I mailed your package today. I hope your birthday was a great day for you.

• ruthz

Susan, I mailed your package today. My first time to the post office in months. It wasn't bad. Only a couple of other people there.

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Jeanne, I mailed your "junk" today. You will receive your package on Monday.

Ruth, this was a great game and you were wonderful and engaging host.

I wish everyone a happy and healthy weekend.

ruthz thanked Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener
  • ruthz

Garage Sales

1. smitties/Margo - received

2. sandlapper_rose/Jeanne -

3. jdmom78/Urooj -

4. Canyonwind/Annie -

5. BenLovesBeets/Breanne -

6. Susan Nieves/Happy Ohio Gardner -

7. Xiangirl/Heidi -

8. amybabyboy3/Amy -

9. Brittneysgran/Shirley -

10. ruthz/Ruth -

• canyonwind

Amy, tracking shows you JUNK should arrive Tuesday!

Jeanne, my mistake regarding the pen....

Loved this swap!!

Happy Sunday!

Annie

• jdmom78_8a

hey everyone. hope everybodys enjoying their weekend!

ruth, i took a look at the north texas planting guide and it looks like i can still plant a ton of stuff so thanks for that. there is a 1 sheet printable that i found amazing.

heidi i went to the post office twice on friday to get your package out... the first time i realized i had forgotten my purse. the second time i didnt have tape to secure the box... they dont give you tape at our post office. they were also out of priority mail boxes... which is what i was going to use... so will go out monday! apologies for the delay.

here are some pics from the garden.... the greenhouse is currently empty because it keeps falling and i dont know how to use it. my last batch of plants was doing really welp but i didnt check them for a few day... 5 ish ... and they all died. :(

the one mystery plant i had seemed to make through all the rough and tough and i think its an okra!

this plant came up on its own. i was hoping it was zucchini but its not. its pumpkin. not just any pumpkin... decorative pumpkin. that will be a lot of inedible pumpkins. i am thinking of hosting a fall festival! you can see my tomatos and peppers.

here are my black eye peas and my malabar spinach. the net i used is too small and it doesnt have room to grow. i need to fix this so i bought some 1x8s but i cant figure out how to connect the net on there... or how to connect the 1x8s together. the nail went straigh through... that is my current project...

i am also making masks these days. seems like we will be wearing them for some time so i make them in my free time. went to joanns and got some fabric yesterday.

will work on my projects after i have my brunch!

• jdmom78_8a

picture of masks... didnt post...

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Happy Monday everyone!

Nice garden pics Urooj and I love the masks you are making!

Ruth, I just received your package with all the items safe and sound. I love everything, and thank you for the extra bonus snap pea seeds. I love peas and will be sure to use them!

• amybabyboy3

Annie, I received your great package of yard sale goodies and cute butterfly sticker And confetti filled card. Thank you I will have fun with my goodies when I am crafting! Take care, Amy

• amybabyboy3

Urooj, How do you cook the marinara spinach? I have some but don’t know how to fix it because I read it can be slimy.

• sandlapper_rose

Susan, your package arrived today so what a nice thing to have happen on a busy Monday. I love everything and thank you for the little extras and the sweet card and note that you wrote. The plant still looked great when it got here. I have it potted up in my garage for today - the garage has a window right near the plants and it feels like a very humid greenhouse in there today - so hot and steamy! We had bad storms the past 2 evenings and into the night. Last night my power went off for 3 hours. You can bet I was glad it wasn't still off this morning. I had pictured food spoiling in the refrigerator and big freezer, but it didn't come to that. Things were still cold after only 3 hours without power. However, with using a well, we lose a lot of conveniences when the power goes out since there's also no water and right now dealing with no A/C could be life threatening because it's so hot.

Thank you again, Susan. You really cheered up my day. As for the book, I've read others by that author and always like them so I know I'll enjoy it. (Chocolate would not have worked out in the heat so good call on not including it in a package to SC right now!)

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Hi Jeanne, so glad you received the package and everything arrived in good order. I am glad you could adopt my plant. They spread like crazy so make a nice ground cover. I hope you enjit everything. Sorry to hear about the power outage and glad it came back on after a couple of hours. I always wanted to live in the South but it seems there is bad weather everywhere. I do better in the cooler weather anyway so i am blessed. I do love visiting all the states and. plan on taking a nice trip once this Covid virus is under control.

• canyonwind

Jeanne, my fun JUNK arrived today....THANKS so much!!

Happy Evening!

Annie

• ruthz

Amy, my package arrived today. Thank you so much. I love the extra seeds you sent. I'm going to have to do some googling on them.

Amy, try sauteing your malabar spinach in olive or coconut oil with whatever else you like, garlic, onions peppers, etc.. Or throw a few leaves in your smoothie or on a sandwich. I'm also waiting to see how Urooj cooks hers. It's a pretty plant to grow. Does well in the heat.

Urooj, love the masks. A couple of people have given us mask that they made, but most didn't fit right. Yours looks like a better pattern.

Susan, I'm glad nothing arrived broken. I was a little worried about all the glass.

• ruthz

Garage Sales

1. smitties/Margo - received

2. sandlapper_rose/Jeanne - received

3. jdmom78/Urooj - received

4. Canyonwind/Annie - received

5. BenLovesBeets/Breanne -

6. Susan Nieves/Happy Ohio Gardner - received

7. Xiangirl/Heidi -

8. amybabyboy3/Amy - received

9. Brittneysgran/Shirley -

10. ruthz/Ruth - received

• jdmom78_8a

hey ladies!!!

margo i got my junk today!!! thank you so much! the girls loved all the stuff and i cant wait to plant my new seeds... now that i know i have lots of time!

heidi your junk is on its way and should be there thursday! sincere apologies for the delay.

ok so the spinach is easy peasy. i like ruths idea and my internet search led me to ruths technique. however, i am pakistani... so i just cooked it like we cook our curries and stews. ok there are 2 ways to do this. make your stew and throw it in there raw when the meat of the stew is done. OR you can saute the spinach seperately to take all the water out and add it to the stew once its done. now my friends have said the second method tastes way better... and i think i agree.

amy you are right, it is slimy but not as slimy as okra but if you think about it, its perfect consistency for stew! or curry... when i googled it i found an indian lady in a village cooking it with lentils so i was like oh i can throw it in anything! lol.

i dont know if i mentioned this but its the stew... plus i added spinach, malabar spinach and rainbow chard. my husband signed up for imperfect produce and for some reason we get rainbow or swiss chard almost every week. most days i throw it out but this time i threw it in the stew and everyone ate it like it was all the same! yaaaaaay!

by the way this is my first time growing malabar spinach and i did it because i heard it was easy to grow. and it is! this is the only plant that survived and i think i will get a ton of spinach from it.

ruth the pattern is from craft passion. i also made the other simple ones in the beginning but i couldnt breathe through them. i started making these on a whim and they are comfortable and breathable!! meaning you can breathe because its a cup shape. they also fit over the n95s.

guess what i saw on my fig tree today! my first fig! <3

great swap everyone!

• ruthz

Sorry pictures are so bad. This is how they look when I use my phone instead of camera. But the pictures are actually better than camera when I post them on facebook.

Some critter ate all of the tomatoes on two plants and some of the ones on another. Happened last time I grew tomatoes also. I don't know why I keep trying.

I have a bunch of flowers on this melon vine

My first beans this year

• ruthz

Last day of the month and this swap will be wrapped up as soon as everyone receives their garage sale items.

Garage Sales

1. smitties/Margo - received

2. sandlapper_rose/Jeanne - received

3. jdmom78/Urooj - received

4. Canyonwind/Annie - received

5. BenLovesBeets/Breanne -

7. Xiangirl/Heidi - received

8. amybabyboy3/Amy - received

9. Brittneysgran/Shirley - received

10. ruthz/Ruth - received

Beeanne, Heidi and Shirley, please post when you receive.

Thank you all for joining in this month and making this a FUN swap.

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska

Confession Time.

Yesterday I mailed the *junk*. Yes, it was late, and then I mailed it to the wrong person. Long story short I mixed up the username and asked Jeanne for an address which she sent. I should have double checked. I'm so sorry, Shirley. Maybe Urooj can mail it from her place and I'll gladly pay the postage. (It's supposed to arrive at her house on Thursday.) Another swap I could run out and get something...but this was the junk swap! This is probably why I'm not a diplomate. I'd be drinking out of the fingerbowl or calling Joe Biden Bin Laden. I wish I had a better excuse like I fell off a horse on my head, but no. It's just me. Heidi

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska

You need a good story?

My neighbor needs a hobby. Recently retired, she likes to work outside and does things in our yard. She trimmed the lilacs. She asked permission, but started with 2 lilacs in the middle and now there's a 15 foot hole that opens to the 12 plex apartment across the alley. We're coming up with ideas. Transplanting 30 years lilaces from the end, getting rid of lilacs (but we love them) and putting up fence, filling in lilac holes with something else that grows faster. The lilacs are still there, not completely obliterated. If we can wait 2 years they might bush out again. Heidi

• jdmom78_8a

no worries Heidi. I will forward to Shirley as soon as it arrives!!! believe it or not this happened to me just a few months back too. no big deal! :)

• amybabyboy3

Ruth and Urooj, Thank you for the cooking ideas! Amy

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Ruth I wanted to thank you for being such a great host this month. It was a great idea and a fun swap.

love to see everyone’s pics. Here are a couple of mine.

• ruthz

Beautiful flowers Susan. What is the one at the top? I ordered one that looked like that from The Lily Garden named Lily Allen. Bloomed good the first year and I loved it. Didn't come up again and now they don't sell it any more.

• smitties

This beauty bloomed today. Received it in a swap here.

• sandlapper_rose

Beautiful flower pictures!

• amybabyboy3

Thank you Ruth for a FUN month!! It was a great theme! Love the pictures, I showed them to my Mom and she just loved the pictures!!

• jdmom78_8a

Project junk recovery is in full affect - Received the package today and took it straight to the post office.

Tracking number - 9505 5104 4684 0183 5915 14

funny story from the post office. the attendant asked if i wanted additional insurance over the $50 that already comes with it and i said, "no, its just junk" ...... he goes why would you send junk and waste postage.... lol. omg it was hilarious. i said, because its fun. its a swap. he was like but still. i said its not every month we send junk, just this month. he did not want to discuss it any further. it was a great visit to the post office.

loved the flowers susan. so pretty and so vibrant.

thanks for fun swap ruth. had a great time. headed to July.

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Ruth, I am sorry but I don't know what the name of that lily is but it is a very unique and vibrant color. I got it as part of a pack of lilies from Brecks last fall. Hopefully they will have that sale again this year. Their bulbs were a great size and did very well for me.

• smitties

Thanks again Ruth for the fun. Happy fourth to all.

• brittneysgran

Can't get a response from BenLovesBeets/Breanne asking for her address. Does anyone have it?

• BenLovesBeets (Zone 7b)

Hey Shirley, Sorry I didn't see your message! I responded. I am not sure why this website hates me, but I seem to always struggle with getting the notices.

Urooj, my discount plants finally bloomed again (one little one so far) it is indeed a blanketflower, will try to post a pic tomorrow!

Heidi, you're too funny. I love all your silly stories. I too could never be a diplomate. Always forgetting or sticking my foot (or both feet) in my mouth.

Anywho...I hope you'll all join me in my first ever VERY simple swap this month!

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska

I LOVE THIS:

Thank you so much! We'll have to come up with a code name: The Eagle of Junk Rock has been relayed! Forget the Eagle has landed! (followed by morse code dots and dashes)! Heidi

• canyonwind

Thank you so much Mandy and Melinda for your lovely birthday cards....so very nice and happy!!

Wishing you both a beautiful Summer, a luscious garden and good health.......

Be safe and happy!!

Annie

• Vasantha Koneru

Hi ruthz how are you.. I love garden can you give me rangoon creeper plants or cuttings if you have pl we r in frisco

tq

kv

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska

I received. thanks for a fun new game.

• brittneysgran

Heidi I received your box today and was so confused to see the address of Urooj as the sender. I went back and just found your post about sending it to her and she to me. LOL I did the happy dance on finding all those beautiful homemade cards you make. Thank you so much!

Ruth thanks for putting this swap together.

• BenLovesBeets (Zone 7b)

I got my swap gift today!

Shirley, thanks so much for my lilies! I am so excited to put them out. I love lilies and know just the place for them!

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska

urooj, I got a card in the mail to you for sending on my crazy package. thank you.

• ruthz

Garage Sales

1. smitties/Margo - received

2. sandlapper_rose/Jeanne - received

3. jdmom78/Urooj - received

4. Canyonwind/Annie - received

5. BenLovesBeets/Breanne - received

7. Xiangirl/Heidi - received

8. amybabyboy3/Amy - received

9. Brittneysgran/Shirley - received

10. ruthz/Ruth - received

Everyone has received.

Like Save

• jdmom78_8a

OMG heidi. i love your cards. thank you! fun swap indeed! :)

• pinkiris
    yesterday

Mandy and Melinda ... THANK YOU for the beautiful birthday cards and good wishes, very much appreciated.

Houston's Luxury Design Build Firm