Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elina_wakabayashi

No leaves, Stem turning black, has bark on bottom. Normal?

I’m new to this but was worried about my Avocado plant!

Hey guys. Hope you can help me out. I started this avocado pit 🥑 about a year ago. it was doing great, I brought it home in the summer and then put it outside, left it our. Probably the shock made it lose all its leaves. I brought to back to my office, leaves grew back and it was doing great when there was sun. Now it’s cold, the leaves all shriveled it’s bare. But checked it’s roots. It’s healthy.... does anyone else’s have a brown stem? Like bark stuff? I couldn’t find any results in google about this. Anyone help? 😆 pllllleasee. i just bought a indoor grow light on Amazon... hoping that 9 hours a day would promote leaves again... the top of the stem is black! 😔😢 a year I’m pretty happy but it would be nice it can revive.

Comments (5)

• JoJo (Nevada 9A)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Your container looks too small for a tree, even a baby tree. The roots look girdled. It means they have been circling the base of the tree just below the surface, because they can't spread in this small container. Girdling roots are petty much a death sentence for a tree because they choke off the flow of water to the top of the tree. But I've heard that some folks have been successful in fixing this condition by cutting the roots. I'll let others weigh in on that.

In the long run, however, you will have to plant this tree outside. It's a fun project, but avocados are not houseplants. It may stay alive but will not thrive.

Elina Wakabayashi thanked JoJo (Nevada 9A)
  • Elina Wakabayashi
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks soo much Jojo! I appreciate your advice!!! Oh. Container too small?! That’s interesting! Maybe not deep enough. Well I wouldn’t say this baby is a tree at all. It’s just 1 stem. However I live in Vancouver, BC ... to be planted outdoors will kill the avocado..... its too cold here. Might be out of luck and hope for this one ehhH? how big is a container supposed to be.??

• JoJo (Nevada 9A)
    3 years ago

I would start with a container at least 25 cm. And as the tree grows, you have to repot it to a larger pot on a regular basis, to prevent the roots from growing in circles. But be prepared to let it go at one point. As I said, it's a fun project but don't expect this tree to thrive or produce fruit.

May I ask, why avocado? There are other trees that thrive indoors (palms, philodendrons). Just curious...

• Elina Wakabayashi
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hellooooo Jojo! Thanks so much for your reply and advice.

why 🥑 avocados? Its because I was super excited when I heard you can plant a pit that you ate from and it will grow like something, like it will sprout something. It gave me a lot of encouragement and excitement in my work life. Lol 😆

it’s a trend in Vancouver seems like now.

but I do wanna actually take care of it... like not just grow it and cheap out. I understand it’s 99.9999999999% that it won’t bare fruit. Makes sense but it would be nice to keep

it alive... lol 😂 it’s been a year!

• JoJo (Nevada 9A)
    3 years ago

Thanks! I get it -- I'm obviously into plants :) If I may make a suggestion, I think you would feel better if you grew plants that do well indoors, the kind of plants that "love you back" because they don't mind low light, small pots, etc. Sadly avocados are not one of those.

But you can still save it -- move it to a bigger pot, remove the roots that go around in circles and, when the plant recovers, start fertilizing it (very important!). Good luck!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus