Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovefarac1

OBF February: Sweet and Simple

Melinda Hagen
3 years ago

This is for the month of February! You must be a member of Our Blooming Friends! This month is very sweet and simple! Sign ups until the 6th. Bingo on the 7th. And please send by the 14 th.

Very simple swap, just a Valentine card and 2 packs of seeds in colors of white, pink, or red! Can be flowers or veggies, depending on your partner, who I will post on the 7th.

Very easy and simple!

Bingo words posted later.

Everyone have a wonderful day!

I apologize for not posting yesterday! I had alot going on and just forgot was the 1st already!

Comments (153)

• brittneysgran
    3 years ago

Annie I bet you can grow hot pokers. I was surprised last year when one of mine rebloomed. Love your orchid.

Still doing some winter sowing. love when I see little seeds sprout.

• amybabyboy3
    3 years ago

Margo, I am wondering if the same thing happened to your card. I sent yours out on the 9th I think so it should have been there by now. If it doesn't arrive shortly I will resend. I am sorry I guess all the cold up North may be slowing the post office down. Take care, Amy

• smitties
    3 years ago

Amy, don’t resend. It will arrive. It’s just taking longer everywhere. at Christmas, my friend sent me cookies on December 3 and I didn’t get it til the 30th!

• Ladyreneer
    3 years ago

Ah, Smitties, I'm sorry. I was wondering who had my name. I wasn't going to re-check. 😉)

Melinda yours is still hobbling through the snow drifts on it's way to you. It went out on the 14th but it was a Sunday and I don't think that it picks up from our mailbox then. Hubby picked it up in the wee hours on Monday morning and personally delivered it to the PO. please let me know when you receive it. I sent pinks, reds, and a romantic (to me) flower. I hope they do well for you.

• ruthz
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Just sharing a few pictures.

We have freezing temps, snow and ice.

Should be above freezing on Friday

We've been very lucky to have power on entire time so far.

Many people that we know lost power on Monday.

Wild One, an oldie, one of my favorite daylilies

Clown Parade is another favorite

Primal Scream

Canna 'Australia'

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener
    3 years ago

I love your flower pics everyone. I so sorry that so many of us are having bad weather. We have been lucky they our power is still on. They are expecting that we will get more snow tomorrow. Last night the temperature went down to 1 degree F. Today we are in the low 20s.

Ruth and Melinda I hope your power issues are resolved. Melinda, I can’t imagine trying to recover from knee surgery and no heat either these temperatures. Your family is lucky to be able to stay with you. Hoping everyone is staying safe and warm.

I am going to try and grow the hot poker plant.

Thanks Shirley for the growing tips. I will use plastic and mulch and hopefully that will protect them.

3 years ago

Annie, I received your gorgeous Valentine’s card today filled with heart confetti (you always get me with that lol) and wonderful seeds! I will love planting the Cherry Queen Zinnia, Love them and I almost bought these for myself about a month ago but didn’t, Pink Sunday Sage, never have grown this but i googled it and it’s gorgeous, and red cypress vine, the hummingbirds are going to flock to this one for sure. All seeds I didn’t have and am so happy to receive —thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Can’t wait until spring!!!!

• Melinda Hagen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hello! More beautiful pics and gifts! These have really cheered me up! Been such downer with weather! But it is melting today! The sun is out and I am going to try to get to the mailbox!! I am sure it will be there by now!

I love the posts everyone writes and read them all! Hopefully next month I will do more games and things as I am hosting March! Things just got in way for this one, but it has turned out well!

Bingo

Red

Have a wonderful day!

• skyblue52
    3 years ago

talking about the mail. Today my son got his chocolate babka. 7 days after first attempt to deliver, from a Hungarian bakery in N. York. They said after 20 seconds in the microwave still good. It was all on the carrier. He never scanned again after the first attempt to deliver. so the mail building had no idea where it was placed at. they finally came acrossed it. so the moral to the story is they will get it stored and send it on its way when they get it sorted.

• brittneysgran
    3 years ago

Susan that looks yummy

Ruth love your daylilies. I have primal scream and love it.

More little sprouts.

• Melinda Hagen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Good afternoon all! Love the little sprouts! My stuff is still under the snow!

I made it to my post office box and was sure I had received my card! But,back at house and went to open and had on back of envelope...obf nov! Thought surely not! And it was!! My Thanksgiving card and seeds from Kim King!!! A beautiful card with 9 packs of seeds! I was amazed to say the least!

I knew I hadn't received one in November and had forgotten about it! Crazy! So will recheck later today for my card.

Bingo----

February

• brittneysgran
    3 years ago

Melinda, goodness that card took a long time to get there. Glad it was seeds and not plants.

Did you get my birthday card I sent?

• smitties
    3 years ago

Received my Sweet and Simple card from Amy today. Buckwheat seeds. She sent two types of seeds from the Netherlands too. A pink trailing/climbing snapdragon and birdie tomato. How fun is that? Amy also included a cute pair of valentine socks. Thank you Amy.

• Melinda Hagen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hello! No mail today! No, haven't gotten any birthday cards or Valentine yet or! But, I will!

Loving the weather!! Up to 40 degrees and feels like heat wave! Sure a mess out there though! But I will take it.

Bingo ---+

Love you

Cupid

Have great afternoon all!

3 years ago

Hope everyone had a good Saturday.

We went out today for the first time in weeks. Needed to stock up on supplies. The roads are all clear but there are very icy spots everywhere. Once it warms up next week I hope to shovel all of the ice out of the way.

Melinda, that mail did take a long time to get to you...but the postal service always comes through...eventually.

Shirley, your seedlings are looking nice and healthy. I am still doing some winter sowing sand plan to spend part of the day tomorrow catching up on some gardening duties.

I hope you all have a great rest of your weekend!

• brittneysgran
    3 years ago

Susan it gives us something to do planting our little seeds. The few warm days we have I am outside but they have been few and far between. We had our gas tank filled up again yesterday and that makes twice this winter. We have never ever had to fill it twice during a winter.

We have two of the little grandkids so I'm taking the oldest one to Church with me this morning. I guess I better get busy.

February is almost over only 8 more days remain.

• Melinda Hagen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Good morning! Great to be able to get out some! Finally ran few errands. Main roads are clear but side ones are still very icy.

This month is almost over. I have enjoyed it.

Bingo worded

Boyfriend

Couples

Have wonderful and love filled day!

• canyonwind
    3 years ago

Almost black succulents....

Below....I planted the pine tree in the canyon behind my house in 2003, after my Mom died......It was 2 ft tall when I planted. I had some guys working in the back measure the height the other day....it is now over 50 ft. tall. I never thought it would grow. You don't find to many pine trees where I live.

Jasmine is a coming.......

Happy Sunday!!

Annie

• ruthz
    3 years ago

Thank you Nicole for the lovely card and assortment of seeds.

phlox twinkles dwarf mix, red, white & blue bachelor buttons and white datura

• brittneysgran
    3 years ago

Nice cards and seeds sent.

Annie love your pine tree. Pine trees are everywhere here in the Mtns.

Sometimes they get so out of hand we have to cut them down. Your black succulent is amazing.

• Melinda Hagen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hello! A gorgeous day here! Suppose to be in 60's tomorrow! Yeah! Now we have lots of mud, but I will take it!!

Looks as if everyone has there swaps done. I haven't checked mail today. Maybe later.

Bingo---

Arrows

• Melinda Hagen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Good morning!! Getting close to the end! Looks like everyone needs just a couple words! First to say Bingo wins!

Didn't check mail , but going to after runs today.

Looks like everyone has their card but me!

Bingo----

Candy

Have a great day all!

• Ladyreneer
    3 years ago

Melinda,

You should have already had your card as it was mailed early on the 15th. Maybe the weather is delaying it. I'm sorry it's so slow. If it doesn't turn up eventually I'll replace it and send again. 😊

I haven't received one yet either. 😥

• bluee19
    3 years ago

Melinda ~ don't know if its the mail or the address? I know last time I didn't have your updated mailing address in one of the Thanksgiving swaps. I had to resend to your new residence.

Also, hope you get your card soon from your partner. I know the mail can be slow at times too with the holiday last week.

• Melinda Hagen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I received my cute card and wonderful seeds from Renee! Thank you so much! Also lovely card from Shirley for my birthday! Beautiful iris on it!

Sorry, Renee, I thought everyone had finished! But, we will be looking forward to yours! Hopefully, it will be there soon.

Bingo ----

Perfume

Looks like tomorrow will be the day! Whoever calls bingo first will win!

Maybe, Margo can let us know when she sent?

Have a great afternoon!

• skyblue52
    3 years ago

Good sunny afternoon. mother nature is a tricky woman. Warming the ground and waking up the garden. The pansies from last year are coming alive. Need to get my seed starting game on. I was lazy and tried the egg carton planting. Once again a fail where they dry out to fast. this weekend will get the small pots out of the greenhouse. did a little plant shopping over the internet. got 12 lilies in a cute series called the Joy series. then a nice sale on echeveria. Since I got the alien eggs for my grandson I have explored them. They are such cute ,colorful plants. I got blue prince and black knight. also got a vargatied string of pearls.The colors should look great together No bingo for me. I need 2 more. Unless Melinda does a double call. husband gets his second covid shot today. things are moving forward.

• brittneysgran
    3 years ago

Susan we must need the same Bingo words. I need two and those are the only two she has not called so far.

Beautiful day here in the Mtns. I am still mulching beds, doesn't look like an end in sight. I worked in the downtown gardens yesterday so didn't get a lot done at home. If all the members would show up we could get more done but only 3 members and two friends came to help.

• Melinda Hagen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hello! Sounds like everyone is getting ready for spring! Have tons of robins! And of course, squirrels! They get in my pots so bad! I use cayenne pepper in them and they will leave alone but have to do it almost every other day!

Of course, this is coming to end of our swap! Hopefully, Renee will get hers soon! Will continue to hope for you daily!

Bingo ---

Love

I am sure today will be the day!!

• brittneysgran
    3 years ago

Mail and everything is sooo slow. I ordered a new stove top from Lowe's in November and still has not come in?????

• pinkiris
    3 years ago

BINGO

• skyblue52
    3 years ago

Yea Jayeanne you are having a fun month. !!

• brittneysgran
    3 years ago

Congratulations Jayeanne.

3 years ago

Congratulations on Bingo Jayeanne!

Hope everyone has been having a good week. I am looking forward to a restful weekend. We are going to have temperatures in the 50s, but rain is expected. I will probably be tinkering outdoors most of the day on Saturday. I know it will get cold again for us, but it is always a sure sign that spring is on the way once we get those temperatures going here in the north.

Shirley, it is hard to get people to follow through on community projects like gardening. It is great that you and your dedicated group take care of the mundane cleanup and maintenance tasks. If it's any consolation, just think of all the smiles you bring to people's faces that enjoy that space.

Even though it seems to some not worth the effort, studies show that a garden does a lot to keep a community strong, keep neighborhoods beautiful, and inspire more people to take on beautification projects. I used to work in the non-profit arena in community development and we had a community garden in the neighborhood. I was so impacted by the way that garden brought people together and the wonderful acts of kindness that came from the gardeners. We had one gardener in her 90s that would rent two plots and plant so many vegetables. Then she would donate all her excess harvest to the local food bank and share the rest with her fellow gardeners. She had more energy than many of her much younger counterparts. I always remember her when I feel weary after a day of hard work in the garden. I tell myself if Ruth could do it in her 90s with a smile on her face, I should not be such a wimp.

Well, I hope everyone has a good rest of your week and weekend. Melinda, thank you so much for hosting. I had a great time participating this month.

• canyonwind
    3 years ago

Susan, RE: community garden and Ruth......well said. I so agree with you. Gardening keeps you young....maybe the bod is feeling the years, just keep moving and be careful.... but the mind stays fresher and sharper. Yes, there is no doubt a genetic factor involved but gardening brings out the best in people....happiness.....sharing....stabilty....a mental and physical energy. Even when the plants are not doing well, gardening is a delight......frustrating with a smile for sure......LOL!

Jayeanne, congrats on BINGO!!!!

Thank you Melinda for a sweet and simple month........

Happy weekend!

Annie

3 years ago

Well said Annie. I agree with all of it. Gardening is my therapy. I tel everyone when they ask me if I don’t find it frustrating when the deer eat my veggies and the squirrels bite the tops off my marigolds. It is so delightful to be close to nature and witness the miracles in nature through the eyes of a gardener. Let’s pass this on to our future generations. I tell my grandkids they need to disconnect from so much technology and get back to the simple things in life.

• Melinda Hagen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Congratulations to Jayeanne!! Small gift will be sent hopefully tomorrow!

Hoping your gift arrives soon, Renee!

I truly have enjoyed doing this month! I have loved the pictures, sharing of what's going on, and all who joined! really made my month! And of course, new seeds!! Who doesn't love that!!?

My baby sister and her husband were both diagnosed with cancer at end of January! They have been together for 47 years, still live in house they had when married! I love them dearly! My sister and I both had breast cancer in 2010 and had our mastectomies a day apart! Now she has breast cancer again and he bas lung cancer and prostrate. So needless to say it's been a very up and down month for me! This swap helped keep me focusing on good things and so thank you all for joining! Has been a blessing!!

Couple days I will post the swap for March!! I hope to do a game or two along side the bingo! But another fun and easyone! Hope to see you there!!!

Renee, still be checking for your mail. Looks as if Margo sent before Valentine's day!

• amybabyboy3
    3 years ago

Melinda, Thank you for a fun month and nice simple theme! You did a amazing job especially with all you are going thru. I will be praying for your family! Take care, Amy

Melinda Hagen thanked amybabyboy3
  • brittneysgran
    3 years ago

Melinda prayers for you and your family during this difficult time. Cancer is a terrible disease and we never know if we are walking around and may have it. Thank you for our fun month in February and looking forward to March. Spring is not far off. YEAH

Melinda Hagen thanked brittneysgran
    3 years ago

Melinda, I am so sorry to hear about all you and your family are going through. I will keep you all in my prayers.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart for hosting this month despite all that is going on in your personal life. I loved the sweet and simple swap.

Especially loved all the flowers posted. It really helped get through the terrible February stormy weather. Looking forward to spring soon. It will be 47 degrees here today!! Woohoo!!!

Melinda Hagen thanked Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener
  • sandlapper_rose
    3 years ago

Melinda, So sorry for all you and your family are dealing with. My thoughts are with you.

Melinda Hagen thanked sandlapper_rose
  • canyonwind
    3 years ago

Melinds, my thoughts and prayers for your little sister, brother in law, you and all of the family.

Annie

Melinda Hagen thanked canyonwind
  • smitties
    3 years ago

Oh my gosh, I did not realize that Renee had not received my card. I will be resending asap. I have been struggling to keep up on everything going on in both the swaps I joined. I apologize. I have never had a card or package get lost like that in the many years I have been doing swaps. I have contacted Renee.

Melinda, I’m so sorry to hear about your sister and bil. That’s a double whammy. I’ll be praying for them. Thank you for doing this hosting with so much on your mind.

Margo

3 years ago

Annie, I received your most wonderful surprise today. These beautiful kitchen towels which I am so happy to receive. You didn’t have to do that, and I thank you so much!!! You’re the best!!! These will look beautiful in my kitchen and I will proudly display them. Thanks again!!

Have a great week everybody!!!

• smitties
    3 years ago

Renee, more seeds on the way today. I see I mailed the others three weeks ago. If it does arrive, no worries on the second sending. You’ve been patiently waiting. Thanks. Margo

• smitties
    3 years ago

• skyblue52
    3 years ago

Melinda you had a great swap this month. I am so sorry to hear of the family health problems. Will pray for guidance for your family to get thru this .

• Ladyreneer
    3 years ago

Thanks, Margo! I really appreciate it.

I'm looking forward to receiving the seeds.

Melinda, you and your family are in my prayers. 🙏

Jayeanne, Congratulations on that Bingo! Woohoo!!! 👌

• Melinda Hagen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Checking in to see if Renee had got her seeds! But I see Margo has contacted you!

Jayeanne your little gift for bingo is in the mail. I mailed yesterday morning.

Thanks again for playing and thinking of my family! I have enjoyed it!

• pinkiris
    3 years ago

Melinda ... THANK YOU for the BINGO prize ... love this, what a FUN selection of seeds! starting the lavender when Im done here... and what a beautiful note! many thanks!

Melinda Hagen thanked pinkiris