Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charurut

Appliances help!

charurut
2 years ago

We are designing a kitchen and now we have appliance dilemma. We are deciding among:
A: 36 inches range/ oven, a microwave drawer
B: 36 inches cooktop, wall oven and microwave
C: option A but 48 inches
D: options B but 48 inches
Our kitchen is not super huge, please see attached photo of tentative floor plan.
We appreciate your input! TIA😊

Comments (9)

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Why do you feel you need 48" wide cooking appliances? Do you have a lot of large dinner parties, do you cater, or do you have extended family there often? If it's just for aesthetics, think about taking up about 40% of your counter space on that one appliance! For me, that wouldn't be worth it.

Are you thinking of putting the wall oven next to the fridge? If so, consider a pocket door rather than a swinging door for your pantry, and check to see if the heat from the oven might affect the efficiency of the fridge (and of course make sure the fridge door doesn't open that way).

• anj_p
    2 years ago

I wouldn't take up more space with a 48" range or rangetop, but only you know what you need. In your kitchen, I would do a range.
    Note that your aisles are much less than minimum recommended width of 3'-6". 4'-0" is even better, and what you should be aiming for in a new build. These clearances are especially important in a fridge aisle. If you want to keep your island that size, consider eliminating the fridge wall cabinets and putting the fridge on the range wall, reconfiguring your pantry entrance. Prep sink would be better on the other end of your island as well, so you have landing space from your fridge.
    On another note, you have an entire closet for shoes that's larger than your pantry?

• charurut
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you very much for the comments, they are really helpful! You made us though more about moving the fridge to the range wall and reconfiguring the pantry access and the island for better space use. Thank you!!!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    2 years ago

I agree with anj_p's suggestions; here's a version with the MW in a tall cabinet to the left of the fridge (so there is space for the fridge door swing). I usually like the fridge on the edge of the kitchen, but this gives you more aisle space in the work aisles, and a wider shoe closet (mudroom?). With no appliances or cabinets on the closet wall, 3' is OK for that aisle:

NKBA guidelines

New to Kitchens? Read me first.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO until you decide appliances there is no way to design a kitchen . A 48" cooktop or range is IMO overkill in almost any kitchen unless you cook for 20 on a regular basis . Corner pantries are a complete waste of space and if you post a to scale floor plan on graph paper with nothing in it except show windows doorways and where the plumbing is if it can't be moved then see what ideas pop up. Make sure all measurements are clearly marked and the drawing can be enlarged A good idea is to also show where and what the adjacent spaces are .

• charurut
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for the advices! I like the drawing suggestions. And based on the above, we are redrawing our kitchen 😊

• remodeling1840
    2 years ago

I love walk in pantries! I had two in my last house, a large one for food and a small, found space one for all my small appliances, roasting pans, etc. Unfortunately there was no way to accommodate one in this house. I still miss the convenience of seeing all my food at once. I was a more creative cook when I had those pantries. Making a grocery list was a simple task.

• charurut
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We never had a walk-in pantry… worth to try.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

I loved (and very much miss) having a walk in pantry - it was a combination of food, small appliances, and some cleaning supplies.