Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
l_m_w

Show us your accent walls!

Lindsey R.
2 years ago

Sunnyvale Mid Century House · More Info

From shiplap, paint, brick, wallpaper and more, there are so many different methods to give a space definition.

Share your accent walls and tell us the details in the comments!

Comments (42)

• tdanfield
    2 years ago

Gender neutral nursery

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

I painted one wall in my kitchen drk green. HATE IT. It's my one 'accent wall'...they really aren't a THING anymore.

• Gene Longo
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Just paint - had thought abut doing ship lap, but this was a fairly inexpensive way to change the look of the room.

Lindsey R. thanked Gene Longo
  • Jacquie
    2 years ago

Lindsey R. thanked Jacquie
  • Robert Brown
    2 years ago

I did this wall myself. I got long wood slats from Home Depot, cut them to size, and nailed them to the wall. Then I painted the entire wall with Sherwin Williams Roycroft Copper Red.

• seisenhauer1
    2 years ago

I have a few different accent walls throughout the house. This is the vinyl wallpaper I added to an interior bath to give it a bit more pizzazz. Literally, everyone who comes to our house comments on it.

2 years ago

Daltile wall of tile. Got idea from HOUZZ!

Lindsey R. thanked 149333
  • ladychirpsalot
    2 years ago

We're saving up for many projects, including reupholstering the two living room chairs, but in the meantime here is where we are! Wallpaper is by Jungalow:

• lorisonfeier
    2 years ago

This is a wallpaper mural I purchased through Amazon. It took days of wall prep/smoothing by a professional paper hanger to do it. We LOVE the way it came out! I still want to paint the surrounding insetted wall (including the lighted area above) a dark blue/green color for further accent! We wanted dramatic and we got it!

Lindsey R. thanked lorisonfeier
  • Charlotte Moreland
    2 years ago

we converted our screened in porch to year around living. When we removed the siding we found the original wood to the back of the house and decided to give it a barn wood look.

Lindsey R. thanked Charlotte Moreland
  • Donna Tepper
    2 years ago

Anyone do a black accent wall? I'm considering it for my living room and would love your input!

• Kris Streed
    2 years ago

I upholstered a bedroom wall in black and used gold oriental accents in the room. It was very striking and when we sold the house a few years later the new buyers requested that we leave the black wall in the contract. I loved it, but it is not for everyone.

• seisenhauer1
    2 years ago

Here's another focal wall courtesy of vinyl wallpaper. I love the fact that it requires absolutely no prep and when I'm ready for a new look, I literally peel it off and throw it away. I really love the textured look of this particular covering by Scott Living. It added much-needed depth to our master bedroom.

• Chris 802
    2 years ago

Our girl's room. The wallpaper is from Anthropologie. It is a lot of pattern, so we chose to keep it only on one wall with simple bedding. The wall you see to the left is a beadboard window nook. All other walls in the room are white.

• Ruthann F.
    2 years ago

I’ve done several accent walls, as an artist my home is my canvas!
    I painted the owl mural on fabric applied to the wall then my husband framed it out with reclaimed wood found in our barn. This is on the upstairs landing with a wink & a nod to night owls. (Smile)
    I collaged one wall of a hallway and made the butterflies. I created a dimensional effect as if they were coming to life from the pages. You can also see into the hall bathroom and here I painted “wallpaper”. We also built the sink base. I wanted to accent this wall too, as it is seen from other rooms when the door is open.
    On the stairwell I painted a playful mural inspired by a wallpaper I had seen. I also painted the “wallpaper” on the foyer wall, playing around with elements until I was happy and then embellished the 4x4 post with a leaf motif.
    In our galley kitchen, I wanted an accent tile wall with a hood, so my husband built out a wall in front of the logs; we tiled (I made them due to budget constraints) and he built the hood which I then painted to look like copper. We used reclaimed wood for shelving, etc.
    My husband applied the grid pattern above the log walls and stone fireplace. I love the drama created by using a dark paint color.

• PRO
  • PRO
  • inkkusmart
    2 years ago

Wall mural in my bedroom.

• PRO
    Dmitii Solodcenco TOR Design
    2 years ago

Accent walls! This is what I love and do. For inspiration, I invite you to visit my website https://www.tordesign.md/en. Welcome. It's all about decorating walls with natural wood: decorative panels, modular panels, 3D panels, and a decorative board. For example

• Marguerite Mastromatto
    2 years ago

@inkkusmart Beautiful. Is that a wallpaper mural? If so, what is the brand? I have found a few I liked by Rebel Walls, but I don't know anyone who has used their murals.

• Chris B
    2 years ago

We needed a place to hang a large painting of sentimental value where we could enjoy it from our living room. Husband had the brilliant idea to hand it on this wall of our stairwell … and use the same deep blue as our exterior doors. We love it! Now to replace the 1980s carpet on the stairs …

• Rebecca Rowland
    2 years ago

End of hallway/entry

• inkkusmart
    2 years ago

@Marguerite Mastromatto. Yes, it’s a wall mural from - Etched Arcadia Mural from Anthropology.

• DMD
    2 years ago

Two accent walls my basement bath and master bedroom in our condo.

• dwgorman
    2 years ago

We have low ceilings in our home. This is our dining room. I cut each of the 7 pieces of wood, stained a dark espresso stain, and nailed a one inch piece of wood behind each board. This small piece of wood creates the illusion that the 7 pieces of wood are floating on the wall. Inexpensive design and was fun to create. We get lots of compliments. The accent wall is 5 years old, and I wouldn’t change a thing about it.

• Trish C
    2 years ago

Pretty much everyone's accent wall is awesome - some downright amazing!

• PRO
    Jarret Yoshida Design
    2 years ago

This is a fun one! We love doing accent walls for headboard walls, though that is not the only area we do them in. For examples, please have a look at my site, jarretyoshida.com and go to my portfolio. You can find a couple of different headboard accent walls in “50 United Nations Plaza” as well as “Central Park West Brownstone.” Hope you enjoy our work.

• Kate
    2 years ago

Our entry in black, looks better in person.

• Stephanie Marin
    2 years ago

Just a simple shiplap wall in the master bedroom added a lot of interest to a pretty basic room.

• PRO
    FOSHAN TAI-DECOR DECORATION MATERIALS CO., LTD
    2 years ago

From exquisite monochromatic floral patterns to bolder designs, this stunning mosaic is the beginning of a conversation. Use this glass mosaic on residential or light commercial walls, celling, backsplashes, or almost any vertical space that requires a unique pattern. https://taidecortile.com/product/art-printing-glass-mosaic/

• la_la Girl
    2 years ago

We used an anthro paper to liven up a back hall/mud room area where we drop coats, shoes, balls etc.

• Donna Wies
    2 years ago

This picture was taken while I was moving back into my family room after remodeling the adjacent kitchen. My house was built in 1965. The room originally had wood paneling on all three walls, we removed it on two, but left the paneling on the back wall. And we also decided not to paint the fireplace, just cleaned the original red brick.

• Kris Streed
    2 years ago

What a warm, cozy room. Of course I am partial to red.

• Sue Brown
    2 years ago

Our new bedroom addition

• Kadesouza
    2 years ago

My son wanted me to paint a mural in his bedroom, he chose the motif and I made it. We enjoyed the process and how it turned out. :)

• Cynthia
    2 years ago

My DIY "shiplap" wall I did about 8 years ago. I think it was more "in" back then but I still like it. I had a local lumber yard cut the plywood slats to certain sizes and then stained them all in my basement (may have killed some brain cells..oops!) and then applied to the wall.

• kathyrn_stephens
    2 years ago

We recently redid the living room wall surrounding the fireplace. This wall has gone through many transformations over the years, from brick to painted drywall to wallpaper and now to this beautiful wood look. We like the neutral color, which, along with the new tile on the hearth, ties together both the gray and beige tones in the room.

• PRO
  • lavender12145
    2 years ago

I love accent walls. you guys did a pretty good job for your accent walls :)

my husband hates having painted accent walls so i am staying away from them but he is ok with doing panels or some other texture. i am planning on one wall for my living room. some good ideas on houzz.